Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peepers?

Posted by cloud_9 z5 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 22:11

Actually I have only heard the wood frogs quack so far, but some of you must have heard them, right? Especially after this change of weather!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peepers?

I'm not sure but today when in RI I thought I heard a few. Also, rugosa roses are showing green leaf buds.

Carol

o

I heard birds singing for the first time yesterday. We don't have any peepers around us.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 16:08

Ah, wood frogs! the harbingers of peepers, which are the harbingers of spring! Should be only a few days now, cloud_9. Probably a few weeks for me, but I'll check tonight.

Please report any peeper occurrences - I'll add them to the FAQ.

Thanks,
Claire

o
woodfrogs?

when do woodfrogs make their frog noises. When I went out at bout 8:30 yesterday morning, I thought I heard frogs croaking, but I dismissed the thought. I thought is too late in the morning to hear such a chorus. No peepers yet, I'm sure.
Robins are trilling away. I haven't noticed the red-winged blackbirds yet, but they must be here if the robins are.

Marie

o

I finally heard my first Peepers tonight after dark. It's funny that I was sitting next to the pond in the evening and didn't hear them at all then. The wood frogs were fairly deafening though. And quite *ahem* active. It also seems as if I should be spared these danged mosquitoes till later. MUCH later please and thank you.

o

Had plenty of wood frogs going on Thursday but away for the weekend so I wonder if I got peepers while away. If so I hope they stay out when the cooler weather hits on Sunday.

o

Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 11:40

Entered in the First spring peeper reports FAQ.

Please keep the reports coming.

Thanks,
Claire

PS: idabean: Here the wood frogs sing a few days or a week before the peepers.

o

We're down in RI for the weekend and now that it's dark, the peepers are loud. They may have started sounding off a few days ago but we weren't here yet.

Carol

o

I was visiting friends in Wilmington and they had lots of peepers and some croaking frogs across the street in a wetland. Friend said that peepers have been peeping for a few nights (friend didn't keep track of exactly which night they started however).

And peepers tonight in Concord when I got home!

Happy Spring everybody!

o

Peepers in South Weymouth Claire.

o

Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 20:54

FAQ updated.

I just went out and stood for a while across the street, uphill from the old cranberry bog. I heard a peeper! OK, just one peeper, but he steadfastly kept singing so I honor him.

rich_manure: I heard my very first peepers in Weymouth - we lived across the street from a swamp and my parents would open the door so we could hear them.

Claire

o

Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 20:24

Tonight in the rain the full chorus was singing (singing in the rain, just singing in the rain ...) I thought I was going to have to splash across the street with my flashlight to hear them, but I only had to open the door and the volume was already turned up.

Claire

o

We're 15 miles WSW of Boston. House about 25' from huge wet lands. Peepers started about a week ago and have been singing like crazy the last three or four days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here