Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

How to opt out of text links

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
14 years ago

As a continuation of my complaint on another thread about the green text links in posts, I just noticed that this link is listed at VERY bottom of forum and thread pages:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/suggest/msg0211203624832.html

and gives you a link to a request form to opt out. From feedback further down the thread it works.

Or someone posted this link for those techies out there that would like to do it themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliTXT

Comments (45)

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Thank you, thank you
    It is actually working, though who knows for how long?
    First I reinstalled adblock, and that got rid of the pop ups on my desktop.
    but The advertising on GW got worse, I'm sure because I inadvertently right clicked an ad in an attempt to close it.
    Somehow or another (I really have no idea) I came up with address for ivillageads and figured out how to filter it. The ads on the website are gone, so are the green underlinings.
    Damn, I wish I could replicate it for you. But I am completely and utterly astonished I got rid of them for now.
    No the green underlining is not gone. So I'll probably get ads again, the same way we get deathly ill
    idabean

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

The first time I opted-out it didn't work, but they seem to have fixed that problem. I opted-out again, and now I don't see the green lines anywhere.

I don't see ads either (except on the FAQ page). I use Safari and block pop-up windows as well as block cookies from third parties and advertisers. Maybe this is what works, or maybe it's something else. Whatever, I'm not complaining.

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

they are back, they are back

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

I don't see them. I have never seen them. I don't see ads of any sort anywhere. Firefox with Adblock Plus.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

Ditto to Deb.

I seem to remember when I was setting up the Adblock Plus filters hitting an Intellitxt domain fairly often. So I don't see the green links now because I filtered it out then.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    14 years ago

ditto cloud_9. nothing here.

Marie, do you have Adblock Plus with subscription to EasyList? it comes with intellitxt filtering.

If you have Adblock Plus with Easylist and are getting ads, just view the "blockable" items on the page to create your own filters and see which ones help. Right click on a suspect address, and select Block This Item. It will then recommend a suggested filter for you to use.

Try one at a time to see which address is the culprit. Too many unnecessary filters is not good. You can make pages not work right if you filter too much.

14 years ago

I just wanted to say that my opt-out of the green underlined links is still working. I do NOT see any of the in-text links in any posts.

Claire

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Gadzooks ! That was easy. . .just typed the link that nhbabs provided above
    into the address box, hit disable ONCE and I'm home free. . .that's what we
    tech-challenged folks like !

Carl

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Hey Carl, thanks for encouraging me to try again. So far so good on this site. But my Thunderbird simply isn't handling the worst pop up attack I've experienced in my (liminted) years of personal computing. I just want to quit, quit, quit.
    Thanks to you nhb for helping more than a few of us out of the grip of this utterly asinine intrusive ad campaine
    idabean

14 years ago

Still no green links.

Claire

• mehearty
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting this.

However, it's not so much that I don't want to see the links. I ignored them anyway. I do not want people to think *I* put them in my posts to sell porches or plants.

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Same here, mehearty. I don't want the links appearing in anything I write for others to read. Guess I'll just stick with inserting asterisks in the middle of words.

14 years ago

Why do you bother with inserting asterisks when all you have to do is go to the site, click on disable, and they're gone? It's a puzzlement to me.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Because, as I understand it, they're not gone. I just won't see them. I want them to not appear in my messages as read by others.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I am trying disabling Java-Script and pop ups and plug ins. I just read that suggestion on a Mac Forum. So far it is working. I see ads on the side and top but at least they are not moving. I don't see any green links. The site works for the most part. I do wonder though, if I am still creating green links in my posts but I can't see them but others can?

14 years ago

But if other people see the green links, they can disable them themselves. If someone visiting the forum sees green links everywhere, they certainly wouldn't assume that you deliberately put them there.

I have to admit that the asterisks annoy me just as much as the green links (that is, they're somewhat annoying, but don't ruin my day).

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I'm finding it annoying to insert the asterisks, Claire. [g] That's why I am trying to disable them so I don't have to think about it any more. I feel like it is the 'principle' of the thing. Advertisers don't care how annoying they are. They are going to ram their advertisements down your throat any way. I choose to 'not allow' them to do it, one way or the other. I prefer asterisks over green links because at least I don't accidently engage a link as I am trying to navigate the page.

I am finding that with Java Script off, the site works just fine and no moving ads and no green links. The only thing that doesn't work is the information at the top of each forum that you have the option of collapsing. I can't collapse that. But I mind that a whole lot less than all the advertising. I do have to remember to turn the script back on if I want to watch a video on another site, and access email on other sites.

14 years ago

I don't think there's any way you can disable the green links that might appear on someone else's computer in their browser/internet connection, except by not using the words. That's obviously what you're trying to do with the asterisks, but the advertisers can always choose new words. I guess the question is how much effort are you willing to spend to try to circumvent the advertisers.

To me, it's not worth the effort beyond what I've already done:

1. disable the green links on my computer screen and

2. suggest in this thread that maybe it's not worth the effort for you.

As I said, it's not going to ruin my day if the asterisks continue - I just gave it a good try, and maybe gave the lurkers something to think about.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

No, I realize that I can't disable them on anyone else's com*puter, but if I use asterisks, then that is effectively disabling them on everyone else's com*puter. Yes, unfortunately, it comes down to how much effort am I willing to spend to circumvent the advertisers, becaus they will put in a lot of effort to force it down my throat. It seems like a little thing, but I think sometimes things change for the worse when we just accept too many little things that we don't think are good or right, just because it is so inconvenient not to. It's like a drop of water here and a drop of water there starts to add up. I'd just like to see things change for the better once in awhile.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

with Firefox, if you just right-click on any ad, you should have an option at the bottom to block...choose the one with the asterisk after the .com part to block ALL ads from that business. Also, there's a little tabbie sometimes shows up on the top-right of some ads that says "block." Click it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I noticed that a couple of people are still using Firefox. That was my browser of choice and worked great when I first started using it. But, the longer I had it, the more I needed an update. When I went to get an update, I was surprised to find many posts on the Firefox support pages, complaining not only about NO support responses to questions, but complaints about how awful the new update was. That was last year and I switched over to using Safari which is the browser that comes with Apple. Has anyone found a new update of Firefox that works great?

14 years ago

I don't know about Firefox, but Safari has an option under

Preferences---
    Security---
    Accept Cookies - Only from sites I visit, Block cookies from third parties and advertisers

I have this option checked as well as Block Pop-up Windows

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I do too, but I still get the ads on the side and at the top. At least if I uncheck 'Enable Plug Ins', they don't move.

14 years ago

Then I don't understand why you get ads and I don't. I just looked at my member page to see if there's anything there that would allow them. The only box I checked is to allow email. I didn't check the boxes about getting special promotions or monthly email messages. I have no idea if that's relevant and I'm certainly not going to open Pandora's box to find out.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - I unchecked 'enable plug-ins' and now I get no side & top ads at all. So thanks, Claire!!!!!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops - I lied. They did disappear, but now they are back, just not moving. Oh, well, at least that's an improvement. It really seems to speed up page loading, though, which is nice.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

pm, what version of FireFox did you have that you disliked? I'm also curious why you would *need* an update. I always shut off 'auto-update' features of most everything. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto.

never see an ad, pop-up, intelli-anything.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Wendy, it was version 3.0.8 and I still have it on my lap*top. It just started to have more and more problems and I found it too aggravating to use it so I stopped. I don't remember if I was updating or not. I might have. Do you have a Windows machine? When I used to have a Windows machine I had the same motto, but since switching to Apple, I've never had an update go wrong and cause problems so I am usually interested in the adjustments and fixes that can be in the updates. You make a good point on a browser though. I was sad to see it go.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Well, that's interesting. Your question made me curious because I couldn't remember what it was about the Firefox that bothered me. This morning I decided to try it again. So I opened it up and went right to Gardenweb and I didn't see any advertisements or pop ups, but I do see the green intell-links. I may use it for a couple of days to figure out what it was about it that was driving me crazy. What version of Firefox are you using?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I'm at 3.5.5. I think 3.6.x is the latest though. Not sure of how that is. Its probably old enough that it has the kinks worked out. 3.0.x should be fine too.

However, the most important part is adding Adblock Plus. I am at version 1.1.1 of that. I think there is a later version. The filter subscription list (Easylist) is updated daily. I have no control over that, but that's typically low-risk. I've never had a problem with it. I forget if Easylist comes automatically or if you have to explicitly add it.

Looking at the filters in effect on this very page, intellitxt does show up as being filtered.

Go for it!

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

OHHHH NOW I Get why there are asterisks all over the place lol AND what you mean by green links. I use FireFox (DH 's browser of choice with AdBlock+) so I had no idea there was a new ad method.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I started using Firefox for a couple of days and went back to Safari. I noticed right away two problems with it. One is that sometimes some of the pho*tos load really slow and the other is that on random posts, question marks with a black background show up repeatedly throughout the text. I also miss the 'Top Sites' that I constantly use on Safari. I like it better than links. I do have AdblockPlus on that Firefox. I think I would have to upload a new version since there is no tech support on Firefox that I know of, to help work out the kinks in it. But just for the sake of trying to get this one working better, I just opened the P*erennial forum on the Firefox browser and a moving ad showed up at the top. So do I have to set up a filter every time I see something like that? I clicked on the red ABP sign at the top and it has a list of filter rules and an 'add a filter' button. Can I use that to get rid of the moving ad and the intellilinks? What do you paste in to set up the filter?

ontheteam, your DH is doing a good job keeping his Firefox working right!

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Oh, and on the original question: Let the text box actually come up, then right click on it (again, for Firefox), and block it with the options that are there, making sure you choose the one that has the * after the .com or .net

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I just tried the browser again and clicked on 10 different forums on GW and there wasn't one ad anywhere in sight. I get the yellow notice at the top that reads 'Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop up window'. But the green links are still there.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

pm, I've never had any such problems and never did anything fancy to avoid all the GW junk. I see no loading problems and no question marks.

Do you have Easylist filter subscription? (tools->Adblock Preferences) Adblock Plus is only the first step.

If you want to pursue it (IMO its worth it), I would upgrade to the latest FF. If there really was a (Apple-related) problem with the upgrade last time you tried, likely it is fixed by now.

I don't know what "top sites" are, but FF has a bookmark toolbar which I might guess is similar.

If you get the latest FF and the right filter subscriptions and you still have problems, then I would chalk it up to Apple vs. Windows. But I seriously doubt it. (perhaps a corrupted profile is another possibility)

I remembered a reason that sometimes I don't upgrade right away. Sometimes a favorite Add-on is not yet compatible with a brand new FF. There can be lag time. I stayed at FF 2.x for the longest time because of an Add-On that I liked that was not available in 3.x.

Take a look at what add-ons you use too. Maybe there is a conflict or you have one that is broken. You can disable (or uninstall) them individually (restart FF) to see if that resolves any of your problems.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Wendy, I think you are right, I need to get rid of this old version that I have because I wouldn't even know where to start to get some of the bugs out of it. I will check into it. I used Firefox with no problem at all for about 4 years and I loved it, so maybe it is some prob between this version and my Ap*ple operat*ing system. And what's the worst that could happen, I'd have to uninstall it if there were a problem.

If I go to Tools > Adblock Perferences, I get a Filter list, so I guess that is what you are talking about.

I had forgotten what I had for Add-Ons...my list of PlugIns... Default Plug-in, Java Embedding Plugin, QuickTime Plug In Shock*wave Flash and Silverlight Plug In. I don't even know what any of those are, except Quicktime. Extensions has only Adblock Plus 1.0.2. listed. and the default theme under Themes. That's it.

Do you have some favorite Add-Ons that you like?

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

FYI- Shockwave flash is usually a HORRIBLE one for spam ads. Disable it.
    BUT...you need it to view videos, so if'n you're around youtube or wherever, you'll need to turn it back on.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Plug-ins are different type of add-on. I don't worry about them so much. Take the defaults at new upgrade. They mostly are required to make FF have all the IE builtin capabilities. Extension add-ons (such as Adblock Plus) are extra choices. You don't really need any add-ons. They are "wants" not "needs".

My config shows Shockwave Flash plugin (v 10.0.32), but I don't know of any problems with it.

Re Filter List, does it show a filter subscription to Easylist? That's what you are looking for.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

If you don't see Easylist anywhere, go to Adblock Preferences again and under Filters menu select "Add Filter Subscription" and then pick Easylist.

This won't help all your issues, but it should help ads/intellitext.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

These are my add-ons

{{gwi:1064524}}

However, I wouldn't spend much time configuring your current setup in case your profile is busted. A browser version upgrade imports your old profile automatically. So, if you get used to certain things, but later find your profile has to be trashed, you will have to re-configure preferences such as add-ons, bookmarks, font prefs, etc.

You can save and preserve bookmarks though. I forget the 3.0 method. I think at 3.0, bookmarks are just a .HTML file. In 3.5 bookmarks are in a database, so you have to do a backup/export and a restore/import. I might be wrong on the versions here. Let's hope your profile is ok.

Keep in mind that a profile spans browsers. Your browser may be in need of an upgrade and your profile may be fine. Or your profile may be busted and your browser is fine.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Ok, I disabled Shockwave for the time being, and can use my Safari for videos. Thanks mmq.

Wendy, I just subscribed to that Easylist and I clicked on Apply. I still see the intellilinks. There is a notice that some filters won't work until I get an upgrade on Adblock Plus, so that's probably the problem.

Yes, I'll go w the defaults when I get a new browser and I'm not planning on using any new AddOns on this version but thought I'd want to know what to get with the new browser. I'm not going to upgrade, right?

It looks like you used that FireShot to take a photo of your screen, right?

Well, I would like to start from scratch and get rid of the whole browser. I do want to s*ave the bookmarks that's all. I don't really understand what the profile vs browser is. Are you talking about a profile as part of a browser you install or a profile on your operat*ing system?

So, basically, if I just go to the Firefox website and download a new browser, and follow directions from there, putting Adblock Plus and Easy List for AddOns, then I might, if I really keep my fingers crossed, lose the intellilinks along with all the ads? [g]

Will a browser download, uninstall the old browser or do I need to do that beforehand?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

You should be able to upgrade Adblock Plus w/o upgrading all of FF. Worth a try. lower risk of any problems and very quick to see. Best to close FF and re-open just in case afterwards. A new Adblock+Easylist may fix your intellinks. hard to say for sure.

I didn't use FIreshot that time for the screenshot. sometimes I do. I discovered a cool feature of Picasa 3 (desktop app). If Picasa3 is open while I do Alt-PrintScreen, it automagically captures it to a "Screen Captures" folder with a little systray popup that says "screenshot captured. click here to view". Then I save as a JPG and FireFTP it to my webspace. Its a little faster than FireShot. FireShot has other features though that Picasa does not have. choices, choices, choices...

I never have uninstalled the old browser. See if you can Update FF right from inside FF under Help/Update. Thats generally preferred method. If not, you can just download the latest from FF and run it. It should take care of putting it in a new place and give you a new shortcut to get to it. There may be Apple/Windows diffs here that I am not aware of, so YMMV.

The "profile" is just a collection of files in a special place about things you have done to customize your usage of the browser. If you get a new FF version, the new browser looks at your old profile so it sets it up the same as you had it. (as best it can LOL) Its in a different place than the browser.

If you can find your bookmarks.html file just copy it somewhere else for safekeeping. But this should not be necessaryy. It will probably be fine.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I have gone to Vibrant opt-out page and tried to opt out of the text links twice. It didn't work either time.

I have rarely ever used the IE browser, only for occasional web pages that didn't work correctly or when working on someone else's computer. I used Netscape for years, then Mozilla, and now Firefox. So I just went and downloaded Adblock + for Firefox and lo and behold the text links and pop-ups are gone. :)

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

ontheteam, your DH is doing a good job keeping his Firefox working right!

He does a great job. I do not have any issues with it at all. if you want some help hit my email... I'll forward it to him.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that Adblock + has taken care of it for you terrene. That's very good news. I am planning on downloading the latest version of Firefox. Mine is too old to upgrade it really, so I'm just going to get the latest one and a new adblock.

ontheteam, sometime this week when I get the chance I'm going to download the new version. I could possibly have no issues with it at all. Very nice of you to offer help. I'm hoping I won't need it. :-) Thanks a lot!

Thanks Wendy for all the time posting back and forth about this.

pm2