Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attractive native hedge?

Posted by nancita 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 0:00

Hi all,
Help! One week after we purchased our house last year, the house behind us burned to the ground. Our house is on the corner of two smallish streets. The house behind had the front of theirs facing the street. They rebuilt it so that their backyard is facing our backyard.
The previous owners of our home planted arborviti about one-third of the way across the property line of the backyard. We really need to put something at least six feet in height to give us privacy. Not very partial to arborviti but they're pretty tall now.
Can I plant something on the remaining two-thirds of the property line that's not arborviti? I'd hate to have to plant the same seeing that I'm not a big fan of them.Natives are a first choice. And, something the wildlife might also enjoy would be great.
Thank you for any ideas. I very much appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attractive native hedge?

Eastern Red Ceder is very similar to arborviti but Native to New England and has bluish berries some birds eat.

American Holly has a solid "hedge" look and berries birds eat. Easy to grow.

Bayberry isn't that tall but has fruit.
There are native versions of Arrowwood Viburnum and Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)

Beach Plum is a Native with fruit but isn't thick enough to provide much privacy.

o

Eastern White Cedar is native to northeastern North American, and is arborvitae. (Thuja occidentalis)

For 2/3rds of the property line, I'd want more of an idea for a plan than simply a privacy screen. If the idea is to simply continue the current plantings, then unless the character of the space changes, a change in plantings is probably going to look weird. Possibly it can work if the property line is long, and the change is drastic, like azaleas. (many of which are native)

o

Hello,
Well, unfortunately, we're talking about only 24 feet of open space along the property line. The main reason for planting is to hide my neighbor's backyard because it's looking like he's planning to spend a lot of time outside. So, it's his back door, which is located right in the middle of his house, probably right where the open space begins.
I am planning to have the existing arborviti cut back so they're all around six feet. Does that help in any transition? Can I put in a flowering something where his back door and then continue with a different series of something hedge or trees?
Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here