Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Billerica/Boston Area Spring Plant Swap Info

littleonefb
16 years ago

Seems to be the right time to post about the Billerica/Boston Area Spring Swap for this year.

Date: June 4th 2006

Rain date: June 5th 2006, hopefully we won't have to go with this date and have a repeat of last year.

Time: 10am start time and everyone is welcome to stay as long as they like.

With or without any plants, everyone is welcome to come. I'm sure there will be plenty of seedlings to share with those just starting out with new gardens.

I'd like to keep things about as simple as they where last year.

Anyone with any suggestions to make any changes, new ideas just bounce right in and suggest away.

All we need is no more rain, no more snow (I had some fall today ontop of my wintersown containers), some sun and some warmer weather.

I anticipate an overabundance of wintersown seedlings to give away.

Hope to see everyone from last year, and lots of new faces this year.

So let's get an idea of who will be coming before I move the post over to the exchange page for more detailed info.

Greening, will have plenty more vinca and alyssum for you, and for those that where here last year, my back is doing great, just waiting to get on hands and knees again this year and "play in my gardens again."

Fran

Comments (45)

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Hi Fran!

Barring any unforeseen family crises or natural disaster, I will be there with bells on!

But...ummmm....I might not have any plants to trade....Go ahead, call me a liar, I dare ya! LOL

Alison

• lise_b
    16 years ago

I'll be there! I don't need more vinca, but alyssum is one of my absolute favorites because I use it as a living mulch around roses. *G* I will see what I can bring to trade, too...

• fgirl21
    16 years ago

Count me in! If the sun ever comes out, my winter sowing jugs might dry out and something will GROW! Okay, I do have "some" seedlings already but not near enough. Wait...is there ever a thing as "enough"??

Michelle

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now Alison, would I call you a liar? LOL, dont tempt me,
    but as of this moment I really have no sprouts. Had 1 lonely little zinnia candycane sprout out of 30 seeds, but that was on Sat. before the storm. Got to be a hardy one though cause it survived a repeat of being buried in 4 inches of snow earlier in the week and ice on it too.
    Haven't been outside since to check them, to wet and soggy.
    Hope to take a peak later today and see what's up.

Not worried though, cause last 3 years of WS, my first seedlings up where alyssum on April 4th, and nothing else till around the 11-14 of April and we all know what was outside for trades last June.
    By the way, the alyssum took 4 days to germinate so I haven't even put them out yet this year.

Trust me Michelle, you'll have plenty of sprouts and you too Alison. Those weather people expect us to believe this one, "the sun will come out tomorrow", just before it sets and from then on the long range 7 day is for sun every day after tomorrow and maybe 70 by Monday. Ya right, believe it when I see it.
    If that one happens, I expect seeds to start to germinate all at once and oh, oh, oh, I still have about 100 different types of seeds to get outside yet.

Greening, if you change your mind on the vinca just let me know. I sware it looks like Heidi has a farm of the stuff in her back yard.
    I've got alyssum carpet of snow, rosie o'day, a perennial yellow one and a dwarf one that is only 4 inches tall.
    Will have plenty of the carpet of snow and rosie o'day, not to sure about the other 2 though.
    And would you believe that I'm gonna try some sweet peas again this year. Different kinds this time. One of these days I'm going to sow them and have all the seeds germinate, Just no one hold their breaths.

By the way, everyone, start praying for nice weather for the swap, do not want any repeats of last year. Got the back taken care of, but don't know how to do the weather.

Anyone started tomatoes yet? Mine go out next week and hope to have plenty of xtras for the swap. Alison got one that's supposed to let us keep picking them right up till thanksgiving. lots of seeds so hope those will be for the swap too.

Fran

• fgirl21
    16 years ago

Fran

Tomatoes???! Let me tell you that I never had any intention of trying veggies of any sort - just seemed like too much work.

And then last year I met you....and your seedligs - And the rest is ALL your fault - LOL!

Remember the tomato seedlings you gave us? Well my daughter became enthralled with "HER" tomatoes. So much so that we had to check their growth progress nearly each and every day (no lie!)

So we got tomatoes, were excited, ate them, end of story.
    Right?
    Nope!

This year when we started sowing, she asked where the tomato seeds were. YIKES!!! I had no tomato seeds - I didn't plan on growing them. See Fran -this is ALL YOUR FAULT!

But Alison to the resuce with seeds for her fairy goddaughter. Tomatoes are now sown and the little girl is happy.

End of story ;)

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Wow, Fran! I always thought those USDA people were smoking something strange when they designated you (one town away) as zone 5 and me as Zone 6, but maybe they really know what they're talking about. I have loads of sprouts!

And that's just my perennials. I haven't even started sowing annuals yet (just got back from a two-week trip). Gotta get started on the poppies, and zinnias, and tomatoes and and and......

I'm sure I'll have plenty to share.

And OMG OMG OMG the sun is actually out! The ground is a soggy mess, but please, let the weather wizards be right about the forecast for the coming week.

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Fran, the funniest thing happened with my own sweet peas. Not a one of them started in the spring, but one came up in the fall! Yes, the only single solitary sweat pea plant I've ever grown. *G* It did smell heavenly, though, so by gaw I'll be trying again this spring.

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Oh, Fran... your dates are from 2006. That Saturday is June 2 this year.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greening, I do have the wrong dates, but you have wrong calender/

Just checked mine for 2007.

SWAP DATE CORRECT DATES.

SATURDAY JUNE 5, 2007

RAIND DATE SUNDAY JUNE 6 2007

I got sprouts, bachelor buttons, toadflax, perennial babies breath, birdseye gilia, blue thimble gilia, stargazer dahlia, hollyhock dwarf queenie,

I'm on a roll and with this weather, those seeds are going to explode with germination in the next week.

Michelle, I started the tomato seeds on a whim last year. a trader sent me a few seeds of them as she is a real tomato nut. Didn't expect much and wow was I surprised.

Tell your daughter that I have some seeds that are really special, tiny little ones that you grow in a small and I mean small pot called tiny tim. One seedling is for her, assuming the germinate. Also have to plant christmas grape and black cherry. christmas grape is supposed to go till thanksgiving.

Alison, Billeric is mapped out really strange and very large, 27 square miles. Depends on what part of Billerica you are in as to what your zone is.
    Pinehurst section all the way till just before saltbox is zone 5. From salt box on to lowell and east towards tewksbury and wilmington is zone 5. Cross over route going towards Acton is zone 5 and going towards carslile is zone 6.

Fran

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Ummmm, OK, I am terminally confused.....on my 2007 calendar, June 5 is a Tuesday. June 2 and 3 are the first Saturday and Sunday in June......

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok so we all know that we can't trust an electrical engineer to give you the correct dates and need to pound into my head not to trust him either.
    He's good at carrying heavy stuff though, like 2 1/2 cubic foot bags of soil up from the cellar.
    I'M REALLY SORRY ABOUT THIS

CORRECT INFO NOW FOR THE BILLERICA/BOSTON AREA SPRING PLANT SWAP

DATE: SATURDAY JUNE 2, 2007

RAIN DATE: SUNDAY JUNE 3, 2007

PROMISE, NO MORE MISTAKES ON THE DATES. AND HOPING WE WON'T HAVE TO COME UP WITH ANOTHER RAIN DATE BECAUSE THE WHOLE WEEKEND IS RAINING.

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Hellooooooooo........tap.........tap.........tap.........is this thing on?

Is anyone out there (out there........out there.........out there)???

Just bumping this up to see if anyone else is interested in coming to Fran's Spring Plant Swap now that we have finalized the date. Last year it was a blast, and in years past, the swap has generated a lot of interest.

If you're a newbie, you should know that you do NOT have to bring plants, just bring yourself. There will be winter sowers like Fran and myself there begging you to take plants away.

So let us know if you want to come. I will have other things besides seedlings, too, most likely. I have two medium sized purple rhodies that I am looking to get rid of, just need to dig them up. I may also have some small forsythia to dig up too. I'm not sure what else at this point, but please post if there's something special you're looking for. You never know who might have it, or be willing to part with a start of it.

It's been a lot of fun in the past to get to know other gardeners in the region.

Alison

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Sorry to say I cannot make it this year! Will be packing my bags, and my kids' and my spouse's, and hitting the road for a June adventure....
    ML

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Oh, Mayalena, it'll be sad missing you! Hopefully you can make it to the fall swap. :)

• gillianma
    16 years ago

Ooooh! Thanks for bumping - I can't believe I nearly missed this!

I'd love to come, and am really looking forward to it. I'm too new at this to have plants to swap, but please assign me something else to bring.

Thanks, Gillian

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gillian,
    You are more than welcome to join us. There will be plenty of seedlings that I will have and others that will be just for the taking. We will get you off and started on your knew adventure into gardening.

I'll be posting more detailed info once I have an idea of who and how many people are planning on coming.

Mayalena, we'll miss you this spring, but have a good trip and tell us all about it when you get back.

Greening, tried something different this year to start the sweet pea seeds. Since we both have had such poor success in getting the seeds to germinate, I searched on line to find out about starting them. Found some sites that said to soak them overnight before planting. So this time I did the same thing with them that I do with MG seeds. Wow, did they swell overnight. Got them out this past week in containers and just hope that the 4 different kinds of sweet pea seeds germinate this year. Keep your fingers crossed that we have lots of them for the swap.

So where is everyone who came to the swap last year?

Newbies, and veteran gardeners, there will be lots of annuals and perennials for swapping and taking. So join us for the swap.

Fran

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hi Fran...I was at the swap last Spring and I'm planning to be there this Spring too!

Not sure what all I'll be bringing yet, but I have a few extra seedlings from the NH Nursery, at least a couple Gray Dogwood (Cornus racemosa) and American Mountain Ash (Sorbus americana). These are 1-2 year old seedlings so they are small but both are native and make berries for the birds.

I have a couple more pots of the Yellow and White tall-bearded Iris that I dug up last September.

I might have some peonies, Penstemon and Phlox seedlings, could dig up some Red Bee Balm that looks like it's spread quite a bit from last year (if anyone wanted it), and I'm sure there will be more.

Hey Fran, I was poking around the garden yesterday and it looks like there are lots of baby California poppy seedlings coming up where I planted some of your winter-sown poppies from last year's swap! :)

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sue, (terrene),
    You beat me to the e-mail I was going to send you about the swap. So glad you're coming and to hear that the calif. poppies self sowed for you. I have more just sprouting now from WS and tons more seedlings already up and coming up every day.

I didn't get the iris you gave me in the ground last year. It's quite happy though in the pot still. At least 3 fans are in there and they will get in the ground this year.

love some peonies and what kind of plox do you have.

Oh, the iris have homes already, trust me, the more you bring the more will be taken. My WS pal would love some.

Got any ideas for any changes from last year or do you think we should just keep things the way they where?

Not sure what I'll have yet, seedlings just coming up, but those that where at the swap last year, already know there will be tons and tons of WS seedlings just for the taking.

Fran

• fgirl21
    16 years ago

I'm watching my winter sown seedlings to see what I'll have to bring. Hopefully more pots will germinate on the few sunny days we have.

Terrene - I could be interested in the monarda if my "red plants" that were winter sown don't cooperate!

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

oh, and Fran,
    I will take all the vinca you can get. I have two 10 x 12 plots on either side of the front, that I'd love to plant with vinca on 6-8 inch centers. That's a lot of vinca to buy and very expensive!

Marie

• sandra8
    16 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I am a member now on GW so you donÂt need to keep track of me separately :).
    As regard to the Spring Plant Swab, so sad that I won't be able to make it to my first plant swab. My husband will be leaving out of state until June 5. My son has class in Boston every Saturday until 11:30am and my husband usually takes him there. I just remember that my husband will not be back yet on June 2 and I have to take my son to class.
    Thank you for inviting me and I will look forward for the next swap. Hope you all have a great time and a nice, sunny day for the swap!
    Thanks,
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandra,
    sorry you won't be able to make it, will send you an e-mail.

Where are all those that came last year?

Fran

• terrene
    16 years ago

My phlox are just a couple of seedlings from Nora Leigh. They end up with flowers like Nora Leigh (Lt pink/dk pink eye) and foliage that is solid green. I don't know that anyone would want them, I am happy to plant them elsewhere in the garden.

Fgirl, I will pot some of the Monarda just in case. Hopefully someone will take it. Last year I started a 2nd patch with the runners from the 1st patch. It grew very vigorously in one season and flowered abundantly.

Ideabean, did you say you wanted Vinca and that it's expensive to buy???

Wow, I have declared war on the the Vinca growing in my woodland. It is spreading like crazy and choking the life out of everything in its path (except mature trees). I am digging it up, composting it, mowing it, and smothering it. Amazing that they can charge for this stuff!! ;)

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terrene,
    what kind of peonies, Penstemon do you have.

Greeining, got you a surprise. Just found 8 sweet pea sweet dreams seedlings. sowed them 2 weeks ago after soaking the seeds for about 16-20 hours. Fist time I tried it and it worked, at least on those ones.

Will put some aside for you, promise.

Where is everyone else that came to the swap last year? hope you will be with us again.

Fran

• fgirl21
    16 years ago

Terrene - you bring Monarda and I'll take it home! I have room for it and just ADORE pants that spread quickly (okay, maybe not the vinca).

A friend thought I was nuts because I WANT lily of the valley in my yard and it doesn't spread quickly enough to suit me!

I didn't know sweetpeas were such a problem. I'm guessing that the ones I WS'd won't be sprouting, huh? Thanks for the tip on them Fran, now I know. I think I have some seeds left - should I try to start them now or is it too late?

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle, not to late to start the sweet pea seeds, especially since mine are just coming up now. I've never been able to get them started. Now my grandma, just put them out and every seed would germinate. She did nothing special either. She just put them in the ground where she wanted them,and up they came.
    Ive tried WS, direct sowing, leaving seeds out over the winter, nicking the seeds along with my fingers and getting no where.
    This year tried the soak over night and presto, got lucky I think.

Anyway, what I did was use those 2x3 inch ziplock baggies. Put about 6 seeds in each one. Filled the bag with warm water and stood them up in a small plastic container. About 5 hours later, I drained out all the water and filled them again with warm water, closed the bag and stood them up in the container over night. They soaked for about 12-16 hours before I put them out in miracle grow potting mix in a covered container in direct sunlight.

Give it a try, and see what happens.

Looks like the swap will be much smaller than last year, so bring your friends too, believe me, I'm gonna have tons of seedlings. Things are just popping up now every day.

Fran

• hosta_lady
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am a newbie to Garden Web. I would love to attend the swap. This would be my first one. I have Stello-Doro daylillies, Evening primrose, Purple Aster, and Tons of hosta. Where will the swap be & can I get directions? Thanks, Marianne

• macrina
    16 years ago

Hi! I am new to this , and would love to come...if I can swing it.
    I am trying to find foxglove and lupine especially..cottage-y type . and hints about keeping them going if possible! I love lupine so much especially the perrenial ones you see on the roadside in Maine..but they are so short lived for me.
    I think I have other things to share..will look into it.

Macrina

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi hosta lady and marcrina.

You are both more than welcome to come to the swap. I'm in the planning stages for this years swap, trying to see about how many are planning on coming.

Will be moving the thread to the exchange side, probably next week with more details and more of what seedlings and stuff people will be bringing.

I will e-mail directly to those attending directions to my house. The town location is in Billerica MA.

May have some foxglove and lupin seedlings for the swap, not sure at this point.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

moving the post to the top again. Looking for more people to join us at the swap.

You're welcome to come with or without plants. Lots of WS seedlings will be available, both annuals and perennials, just for the taking.

come on and join us.

Fran

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I may be interested.

I am new to GW.. and have been looking for a plant swap to attend. I am starting a new garden area. Would like to receive some more info on the swap.

Sounds like fun !

• dfaustclancy
    16 years ago

littleonefb:

Thanks for the spring swap invite. Love to join you all.
    I'll pop over to the discussions page for the 411. Don't know what I'll have yet, but I'll be sure to bring something. Coming from Ayer, almost next door!

Debra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI Debra,
    Glad to have you come. If I remember correctly you couldn't join us last year.

flwrs4ever,
    You're more than welcome to come, but it might be a distance for you from RI. I'm in Billerica ma, about 15 minutes or so from the New Hampshire border.

Fran

• gardener12
    16 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I would love to join.. I enjoyed last year's swap. Only negative is that I am still a newbie and may have only few wintersown seedlings to share.

Thanks.
    prats

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Prats,
    Glad you'll be joining us again this year. You know my swaps well. Newbies are always welcome and there will be tons more seedlings for you to take.
    Bring what you have if you have some seedlings and if not, well, please, please, please take mine away and Alison's as well.

Will post more detailed info soon. Not sure what I will have yet, but those WS seedlings are sprouting their little hearts off.

Fran

• fgirl21
    16 years ago

FRAN!! I have a sweet pea sprout!
    I just had to tell you.
    Course - it's only one out of I don't know how many seeds I WS'd. Who knows, maybe more will come up!

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle, that's great, I have four seedlings so far out of well, I don't want to know how many seedlings I put out, I might cry. Just hope more sprout soon.

Fran

OK EVERYONE, TIME TO MOVE THE THREAD TO THE EXCHANGE SIDE FOR THE MORE DETAILED INFO, LISTING OF SEEDLINGS, AND STUFF TO BRING TO THE SWAP

SO PLEASE POST ON THE NEW THREAD ON THE EXCHANGE SIDE OF THIS FORUM.

I'M PUTTING A LINK BELOW THAT WILL TAKE YOU DIRECTLY TO THE NEW LINK AND PLEASE IGNORE THE ONE I JUST POSTED ON THIS THREAD BY ACCIDENT.

FRAN

Here is a link that might be useful: Billerica/Boston Area Spring Plant Swap Info DETAILS

• weedsmakemecrazy
    16 years ago

Hey there:
    I just joined this site a couple of weeks ago and love it - I have received so much incredible advice - and a lot of it from you Fran.
    I would like to attend the swap too, but my seedlings haven't done too well so far...I think I need one of those grow lights...and I am a fairly new gardener, so there is not that much in my yard (and of the stuff that is there, I am not sure what it all is....I need some garden buddies to tell me what it is that I bought and planted last year..ha ha)
    BUT....I do have Sweet Pea seedlings - they, out of all my little seed garden, did pretty well, so I can bring some of those for you Fran. And I'll peek around the garden and see if there are any other goodies.
    My friend just bought a house in Billerica and she has two of the enormous hostas (the really big, tropical looking ones) that unbelievbly she does not like and wants me to dig up, so if I get that done before the swap, I'll dig and divide those and bring some if anyone is interested.
    I also have so much mint, but I am sure everyone coming has so much they are ripping it out, what gardener doesn't? ha
    Kathy
    P.S. will you be sending out a reminder invite before the big day on the New England site? I'm afraid I will be out in the yard digging and forget! :)
    Also, what should I bring....drinks, food, etc. Just let me know

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    Welcome to GW and so glad I've been able to help you.
    You are more than welcome to come to the swap with or without plants, seedlings. Believe me when I say there will be plenty of seedlings for the taking. And please bring your friend from Billerica as well.

I only start my seeds outside with the WS method. Gave up trying indoors years ago because I never had any luck that way. Now, I have tons and tons of seedlings to plant.

This year the seedlings are no doupt going to be smaller than usual because the weather has been so crazy, so don't worry about how small yours are.
    Sweet peas from a novice gardener? There a several of us that want to know the secret you have. I've been trying for years and this is the first year I've had any seeds germinate from the vining kind.

Reminders of the swap will be on the thread on the exchange page. I posted the link for it above.

As for what to bring, you can decide yourself and just let others know what you are going to bring on the new thread on the exchange page.

We will all be out in the gardens digging and potting stuff up for the swap. One simple thing to use to pot things up with is styrofoam cups. I use the 8 oz and 12 oz size and you can label them by writing on the cup as well. Then they can be reused for next year.

See you posting on the new thread. See the link above for the thread or just click on the exchange link at the top of the page.

Fran

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy/Weeds! Like Fran said, Welcome to GW! Hope you make it to the swap, it is always a lot of fun to meet other gardeners. If you get a chance to dig and divide some of that huge hosta, I'd love a start or two of it. When I first moved here, 25 years ago, I dug out a couple of huge hostas, and have since regretted it. I am starting a large shade bed this year, and I need lots of stuff to put in it. I'd give a lot just to have those hostas back. Oh well, live and learn, that's what gardening is all about.

BTW, weeds make me crazy too! Great screen-name!

Alison

• weedsmakemecrazy
    16 years ago

Hey Alison and Fran:
    I will move to the exchange link for more info - I am starting to get excited for this swap - not just for the plants but for all the advice you all may have.

I have a tricky shade are I have yet to tackle, so we can discuss some ideas. My friend called me twice this weekend to get those hostas, but I was so so busy and didn't get there - so now I have a new reason - to help you and your shady spot, Alison. At our last house, I dug up an existing hosta, split it in 4 and kept a 1/4 of it and shared the rest (we put in new pavers and it was in the way). I moved away from that hosta, but drive by it all the time and it is bigger and better looking than the original plant 3 years ago! Hostas are such wonderful "success" plants for new gardeners like me - makes me feel like I know what I am doing :)
    I have a current shade garden and I have some toad lillies - not as many came back this year as I had hoped - at least not yet, so I am disappointed, but I will see if I can get some of those for you from the friend who gave me some last year. I'm sure you know what they are, but if not, they are this tropical looking plant that flowers in late summer/fall. It's such a nice finale to the garden when everything else is done. If I can get you some, I will bring them. It will be so nice for your shade garden.
    See you at the sway!
    Kathy

• ladoofyer
    16 years ago

Hi, I am very new to this but am hoping to attend the swap (not sure I should call it that since I don't have anything I can swap). I am a reluctant gardener, never was interested but found we needed to get rid of a few plantings that have been in the garden in front of our house since 1988. We had 3 (what I think are/were) Norfolk Pines(they have reached about 5 feet in height), one of which turned completely brown and we removed, the other 2 are half brown and we are having removed. I don't know what to replace them with. We do have an azalea that I put in in '88 which is doing well, but we wanted to move it now that the garden will be so empty. Can this be done? Any suggestions, such as grasses, shrubs, perennials, would be welcome.

I also have a garden that had iris planted there many years ago which never took and now has nothing in it, around a large tree in our front yard which is much of the time in shade. What would do well there and I'd love to accept anything anyone wishes to share.

I am hoping to be at the swap. What a great idea.

I am not sure about what zone I'm in. I live in Danvers, MA. Wasn't kidding about being a reluctant gardener, but I find I am suddenly interested in learning.

• ladoofyer
    16 years ago

oops, sorry, forgot to leave my name

Amy

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome Amy, glad to have you come to the "swap". I'll have lots of seedlings to fill in your gardens and some already established plants all for the taking.
    Once the "gardening bug" bites you, you're hooked for life.

Come on over and post on the thread on the exchange side of this forum. The link is in a post above this or just click on the exchange link at the top of this page.

Danvers isn't that far from my home. I see a doc in Peabody and am there in about 30 minutes.

Looking forward to meeting you at the swap

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trying to keep track of those who are planning on coming to the swap.

Please post on the thread on the exchange side of this forum.

link provided below.

Swap is coming up in a little over a week.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: BILLERICA/BOSTON AREA SPRING PLANT SWAP INFO DETAILS