Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

neutron lawnmower updates please

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

I still want to buy one....it has been another year; tell me what you think of yours, please.

Marie

Comments (10)

• roxanna
    13 years ago

we've had one since last summer -- my husband does the mowing. he likes it very much -- it's much quieter than our old gas mower. does a fine job. he bought an extra battery so he could do our entire lawn, which has been handy. so far, no complaints.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

roxanna: Have you tried to start it up this year? I think I remember from a previous thread that the battery sometimes dies over the winter.

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would it surprise you to know I just bought a Prius and I love it!.
    Marie

• roxanna
    13 years ago

ackkk! no, haven't started it up yet -- hey, the grass isn't growing much! hope you are wrong about the batteries. i'll mention it to DH. =(

• floral_euphoria
    13 years ago

Well, I was just trying to figure out how long we've had our Neuton mower and I can't remember - so it's been a while! My best guess is 6 years. Last year we replaced the battery and blade but it's been running beautifully since we first bought it. We have found that if the grass gets too tall between mowings it takes much more power to cut it...but it will cut it as long as the blade is kept sharp. For this reason, though, I would recommend getting a spare battery even if you don't have a lot to mow.
    But maybe someone with a newer model of the mower could chime in on whether that's necessary now. I know the new models must be more powerful and I think they have a wider cutting path, too.
    Anyway, all my lawn tools are electric as I hate messing with gas and oil and if you appreciate how quiet your Prius is (I have one of those, too, and love it) then you'll love the gentle hum of the Neuton mower. And no smelly exhaust is also a plus.
    Oh - my parents also purchased one a few years ago after seeing mine and they've been happy with it, too.

• Penelope
    13 years ago

We used ours for two summers but haven't tried starting it up yet this year. We like it, overall, though I still often find it easier and faster to just run the old manual reel mower over the flat front yard. My husband pretty much took over the Neuton and he likes it. The short setting is VERY short, and I have to watch him or he can really scalp the lawn.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have any of you used your neutron in the fall to chop up fallen leaves? I'm wondering how it handles the load.
    mt

• gardenman101
    13 years ago

Mine has been dead since last summer, when i go to the website the closest repair shop is over 2 hours away. I loved it til it died, hav'nt quite figured how to get the trimmer attachment to work thoug. But I guess i wont til I find a closer repair shop, so if any of you know of a closer repair shop to the 01108 zip area let me know.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Hi Marie - I chopped leaves with my electric Black & Decker last fall with no problems. Bought it at the B&D outlet, and was told I could bring it there for repairs - somewhere near North Dartmouth. Every year the battery issues seem to improve, and this was a new model as of last year. I'll let you know when we fire it up; I've been out of town and it will be awhile before I get that far down my list of things I need to catch up on.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I haven't run my Neuton yet, but I put the 1yr old battery in it, and the needle went all the way to full.

I charged it for a few hours once a month throughout the winter. I have high hopes. It ended last year really strong. (unlike the previous year and the previous bogus battery).