Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Winter Moth This Year?

arbo_retum
12 years ago

The last few yrs have seen total onslaught of our acers and ornamental fruit trees etc by these horrific things. But my aeschulus pavia (their FAV thing) is already leafed out and hardly a sign (no worms seen). Your experience? The one yr. i 'felt safe' and did not have the organic spraying done- was a huge mistake and i don't want to be foolhardy again.

thanks much,

mindy

Comments (10)

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Someone just mailed me the extension newsletter that described the moths as "lethargic" because of the cool long spring. I hope this isn't true, but it may be they are just waiting for a stretch of warm days.

I wonder if the damage will be mitigated if the leaves are more mature?
    mt

• rockman50
    12 years ago

The damage is generally less severe if foliage can mature before the caterpillars begin heavy feeding. I always thought that a cool long spring would be bad, only because foliage development is slower, giving the caterpillars the upper hand. But the cool conditions also delay their development. Evidently, the temperature signals that push new foliage may not be perfectly aligned with the temperature signals that push the caterpillars. And yes, I have not yet seen any signs of severe feeding yet.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know if this is a stupid thing to say but i thought it sounded good>> My Love wondered if sun and temperature might be two separate factors in this....
    I have not thought this out.
    best,
    mindy

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    12 years ago

I have also noticed less damage on leaves that are almost fully opened. I have definitely seen some caterpillars but it's not an onslaught like usual. I am hopeful but holding my breath until after memorial day. I hate those awful weeks in May, once the caterpillars get big enough, when we are showered with tiny caterpillar poop from our maple trees. ugh!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

In the last week or so the wild cherry leaf buds have been opening and suddenly the grackles and red-wings started perching in those trees, hopefully eating caterpillars. The oak buds are swollen but not open yet.

I count on the flying pest control squad to keep the various caterpillar populations down. I haven't had much damage the last few years so it may be working. The cost of birdseed (grackles really eat a lot) is worth it to me if the trees are spared.

Claire

• tulipsmiles
    12 years ago

I have been tormented by them for the past 3 years when I started gardening. I vowed last year that I would spare no evil, when it came to fighting Winter Moth. I have been diligent in tracking signs of them. They are way off schedule as compared to their destruction last year. However, I went snooping again today, as all of my roses are leafing out and I did find about 10 small catepillars. I sprayed the heck out of each rose bush with BT today. I will continue to do so until they are GONE!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have just come in from a mid/ early spring inspection of our 55 j maples and i cannot begin to tell you how happy I am. For the first time in the past four years, we are not yet again the horrified victims of the winter moth(wm) blitzkrieg!! Only one of the j maples had a significant infestation (it was one third to halfway into leafing out and one foot away from two uninfested j. maples) and the guilty demons felt the full fury of my expert hand to hand combat. Or should I say finger to finger combat, because my technique involves grabbing a branch with one hand and, with the other, squishing the leaf bunches at each branch tip (where the worms hide in their glued together web of tightly curled nascent leaflets.) The other favorite wm prey, aeschulus pavia, prunus and other acers, seem to be on a successful road to fully leafing out , unscathed.

It�s not that I mind having to have them sprayed , it�s that that spraying has been what i would usually call 50% effective and has always required repeating after a week or so, with the result being some very ragged unattractive foliage (and that on trees famous for their attractive foliage.)
    So Yippeeeee!! I hope the same will be your luck this year!!
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Today was the first time in my life I've ever had anything outdoors professionally treated. I had all the maples that surround the house sprayed for winter months. I didn't point out the small japanese maples tucked around the garden; I bet he didn't see them or treat them. We'll see how effective it is. I have to admit I've never noticed damage to the trees, but I wasn't looking. I also didn't have a very expensive "Half-Moon" Japanese maple before this past fall.
    Marie

• tulipsmiles
    12 years ago

Update to this years Winter Moth damage:
    Ok, so like I mentioned before, I have diligently sprayed all 35 rose bushes with BT. I'm happy to report they aren't as bad as they have been in years past, however, I don't feel that the BT has been all that effective in this fight.
    The wiggley worms are still at it, but not at the volume or rate they had been last year and so on. As a result, I am able to *personally* squish each one to it's painful death. I was not able to keep up with this task in years past, due to volume.
    I agree with Mindy, the temperature has had an affect this year. Thank goodness!

• SC101583_comcast_net
    12 years ago

All trees were doing fine up until May 15. Now I noticed one of my maple trees is almost completly defoliated by May 21,2011 I will be spraying my trees by Memorial Day with a product called Captain Jack Tree & shrub spray. The local Attleboro old Barn has this product. The old man that owns the place said this is the best product. I believe him. He has help me with a number of plant issues. I no this may sound like I'm advertising, but he is old school and is very knowledgable about plants & anamals. Its a feed store also for pet & horse lovers. I trust him. My neighbor has just sprayed his trees he said he has not seen any damage since he spayed it. I will look into professional treatments also. I can't lose my trees. I'm Praying for the best.