Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

LIthodora plants available now

bill_ri_z6b
12 years ago

For anyone interested, I was at Brigg's in Attleboro the other day and they had quite a few Lithodora "Grace Ward" plants. They were good size and healthy. I have posted a photo of my own Lithodora, but mine is "Heavenly Blue". I think the two are similar, but possibly mine is a bit more intense blue. Last year they also had "Heavenly Blue" but a bit later in the season, so they may have that in a while as well.

Spring 2011

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (25)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

It is such a lovely plant; the blue flowers are stunning! How long does it bloom? I've read that it gets sort of loose and sprawly after the first season. Has yours done this, or was this comment likely from folks who didn't grow it in a lean enough soil? Yours seems quite happy.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NHBabs,
    It's in fairly ordinary soil but I think the stone mulch helps a lot. It stays in bloom for a few weeks, starting with a few blossoms and then peaking and then tapering off a bit. The color is amazing. So far this year it's looking very compact and happy. I'll post again when it's in bloom.

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Bill -

Your amazing photo reminded me how much I want to add lithodora to
    the blue/yellow/white section of my garden this season. . .and darned
    if I didn't spot a whole bench full of them at a Home Depot today! And
    I had deliberately headed for the door furthest from the plants so I
    wouldn't be distracted from my hardware mission. . .but then I simply
    had to see what that electric blue color was! Last place I would have
    expected to find them. . .

Carl

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carl, do you know what variety they had? They didn't have them at my nearest Home Depot. Maybe later they will, and I can check out another store. There are three Home Depots all fairly close by.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I noticed them at a Home Depot in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago, but I don't remember the variety. I'm hoping that it may show up at my local HD, but not holding my breath as they probably aren't hardy here (not that this stops a big box store from carrying a plant.)

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

They have them at the Farmer's Daughter in South Kingstown, RI too. I went on opening day to see what was there and bought a Lithodora 'Grace Ward'.

(And, Bill, I got a Lewisia Rainbow Mix too. So, I guess I'd better buy some gravel! --Now if I should see any Opuntia locally...)

Leslie

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Leslie,
    Farmer's Daughter usually has Opuntia, but I'm sure they will keep getting more items as the season progresses. They have had them every year at various times. Actually they have quite a few xeric plants - sedums galore, sempervivums, cacti, hesperaloe and more. I have some ordinary yellow opuntia that you can have if you'd like. I had to dig them up when they did my driveway so they're in a pot -of sorts!

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Believe it or not, Bill, it was "Heavenly Blue". . .and the number of OTHER
    plants they had was astonishing! And we've only just left March behind. . .

Carl

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carl,
    If you have a sunny spot that stays drier in winter, go for it! I have them in a bed that has a nice layer of stone as you can see in my photos, and I think that helps somewhat with keeping them dry and warm. I really think that NOT having mud and debris (such as from bare soil, or pieces of bark mulch, leaves, pine needles, etc.) splashing up onto and into the plant is good, because those things probably hold moisture which is a killer in winter. Same goes for cacti and the other succulents.

I hope they thrive for you. The color, to me, is unmatched by any other plant that I know of!

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Hi again, Bill,

Thank you for your offer of Opuntia! --and sorry, I wandered off for a couple of days. I'm not really ready for them now because I've only gotten as far as choosing the site for the new garden. And I've already got Lithodora, Sedum 'Belle Isle' (I think that's the cultivar name), and a new ice plant (because of your pics on the Lewisia thread) that have no home yet. I went out this morning to find the above pants VERY dry and desperately in need of water. I'll be working on that new bed, so if your offer still stands in a couple of weeks... Thanks very much!

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Leslie,
    Yes just let me know when you want them.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Okay, Bill.

Lithodora 'Grace Ward' and 'Heavenly Blue' were both available at Lowe's yesterday.

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Leslie, exactly which Lowe's in RI are the Heavenly Blue lithodora at?

Carol

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Hi Carol,

They were at the Lowe's on Rte 5 in Warwick. Greenwich Avenue. In Rhode Island terms... where Apex used to be. They had a few L. 'Grace Ward' on display in front as you come in the garden shop doors, but all of the 'L. Heavenly Blue' were further into the store. There were far more 'Grace Ward' plants than 'Heavenly Blue'.

• molie
    12 years ago

Same at our Lowe's in Milford --- I bought 'Heavenly Blue' and 'Grace Ward' there this past weekend. I'll try Bill's technique of stone mulch to see if these make it this year. It seems that the trick is keeping them high and dry.

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

It's just too far for me to drive so I'll wait and hope that a MA Lowe's gets Heavenly Blue, maybe by next weekend. I have LOTS of stones for mulching it, since our land is on an ancient moraine.

Carol

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, I'm not sure where in RI you are, but Leslie posted above in this thread that Farmer's Daughter has them. Maybe that's not too far for you.

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Bill, I'm in the easternmost coastal town in RI and a long way from anywhere. But during the week I'm near Boston, so I may stop at a Lowe's near Rt. 128 on my next trip down to RI.

Carol

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I finally got a lithodora but I got it at a place I've never bought a plant before - in Longwood Gardens, in Kennett Sq. PA! I could not resist those blue, Blue, BLUE blossoms any longer. I believe it is a Heavenly Blue. The plant looks like it has a bunch of spokes where the flowers come off of. (instead of a mounding habit like yours, Bill Z6.) So, it is a lovely sovenir and I hope it lasts thru a few winters, as I've heard it is hardy to zone 6 - but if it is protected - well, we'll see!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Home Depot in Tewksbury,MA. had them also.

Lisa

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debra can you post a photo of this "spikey" plant?

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Bill: Well, I guess I have to learn how to post photos, finally. Give me a week! I'll be back!

Lisa - Thanks for the tip. They didn't have any at HD in Nashua.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Debra,
    I use Photobucket. Create a free account, and then create an album. Browse from their webpage to upload your photos. After they've uploaded, all you need to do is copy the url (it appears under each photo in your album) and paste it into the message here. Voila! (Sorry but this forum text doesn't support the accent over the last 'a' in 'voila' !)

• vineyarder
    11 years ago

Lithodora needs REALLY well drained soil, in sun, and no organic mulch to do well... It is the winter wetness that does it in.... at least, that is my experience.

• leslie6ri
    11 years ago

Home Depot had Lithodora 'White Star' when we were there this past weekend.

It looked like this... (I didn't buy one. I'm wondering why...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lithodora 'White Star'