Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

79 year old gardener injured chopping down a tree.

I saw this on the news this morning. I'm a lot younger than she is and I wouldn't think of even picking up an axe that size, let alone try cutting down a tree all by myself. But I have to give her credit, pretty fiesty and independent. Her neighbors explain that she is gardening all the time.

I linked to the article below, but on WBZ news this morning it showed a photo of the woman. She looked to be in amazing shape and not 79 years old at all. Thought it might be of interest...

Here is a link that might be useful: 79 Year Old pinned under a tree

Comments (6)

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

Let her be our role model for ageing and gardening! Personally, at age 74, I'd have gone at that tree with a small chain saw or if that's not available, my Sawzall. Dull axes are hard on one's arthritic wrists and shoulders. At any age. And hadn't she learned how to fell a tree in a preferred direction? Two cuts, opposite sides -- you see it all the time on TV.

Carol

• asarum
    11 years ago

She was pulling on the tree with a rope, but it didn't work as she expected.

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

I bet she was embarrassed at the incident and the attention. But grateful to be saved.

Carol

• terrene
    11 years ago

Wow that lady is VERY lucky that 1) the tree didn't kill her, and 2) that the teenager heard her cries only a few minutes after the accident! 10 inch diameter is not a small tree.

I hope I'm still gardening at 79, but do not wish to have another tree mishap at any age...

• molie
    11 years ago

Amen,Terrene.

I once heard from a friend about how his father was killed when a tree he was cutting down fell right on top of him! Awful! His wife found himâ¦.terrible shock. This man had been felling trees on his large lot for many years but didn't realize that the one he was cutting was diseased inside.

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Years ago we had a diseased tree come down before we expected it. The borrowed saw was still in the tree and it was hung up in another tree.It looked healthy but was soft inside. PLEASE do not think pulling on a rope is going to help. It didn't work for our neighbors but fortunately, there wasn't any serious damage.

I'm glad this woman is ok. My FIL used to cut cordwood to supplement his social security but he cut trees his whole life. He gave it up when he was about 83.