Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Heartbroken! Hardening off and it snowed overnight! :*(

mehearty
14 years ago

I've got these huge 5 ivy geraniums that I've had for about 5 years. I bring them into the house in October and overwinter in a sunroom indoors. They do great. I started hardening off a week ago on a covered p*orch increasing their time outside by an hour or 2 each day. They were on their 6th day of hardening off yesterday, and the plan was to take them into the garage at 3 pm. Because there was a light rain, I left part of them exposed yesterday.

I got a pretty serious phone call in the afternoon which generated several more calls. By nightfall, I had completely forgotten about the p*lants on the porch.

We woke up this morning to a light snow cover. We haven't seen snow in 2 months. I knew to watch for it, but the events of yesterday afternoon threw me off completely.

Hubby tells me according to his weather thermometer, the low was 35 last night. That's not a freeze, but it's still too cold for geraniums that weren't hardened off yet. =(

I am sick over this.

Comments (5)

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

My sympathies for all those years of hard work. I certainly hope to hear you post later that, at the least, a couple survived. This weather is a surprise, isn't it?

• mehearty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Deanna. I knew we'd get hit, so I'd been watching weather reports closely. Until yesterday. :*( I didn't even take cuttings this year. :****(

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Hearty,
    Sorry to hear about your loss I know first hand what a disappointment that can be, but the good news is this totally gives you an excuse (unwritten LAWof gardening) to go out and splurge on replacement plants!!

• corunum z6 CT
    14 years ago

Mehearty - hopefully, before you tossed them, you waited a few hours and looked at the bottom of the plants to see if any leaves were spared the wrath of frost. I save geraniums for 4-5 years by doing what you've done (housed in the winter) and have also experienced that heart-wrenching "OMG" what have I done? feeling knowing the temps dipped way too low when the plants were left outside on my deck. In some cases, the larger soft, frost-crumpled leaves protected some of the smaller leaves underneath and the plant survived when I brought it back into the house and trimmed off the frost-affected leaves. 35 degrees probably did not freeze the root system. I'd bring them into warm temps for another few days and see what happens before you pull a "baby out with the bathwater". Won't hurt to try.

Kindly,
    Jane

P.S. I'm zone 6 and do not put mine outside until almost the middle of May and only if the night temps are hovering around 50.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I knew you all would get it. The p lants are in an insulated garage now where they spend the nights during their hardening off period. The only "damage" I can see right now is some of them now have extremely shiny leaves. What the heck is that all about? I don't know whether to expect a slow death or perhaps they were hardened off enough?

Jane, I like to get 'em out a little early because the birds makes nests in them. Awwwwww There are all sorts of pairs of birds outside right now, and I know they'd love to make a nest in the plants on my p orch.

Babbling here ....come to think of it, last year we had a few late frost warnings, and I dared not mess with one of the p lants because there was already a nest in it. We never got a hard frost, but the plant survived those cold nights. So maybe there's hope.

Runktrun, shopping for new plants would certainly ease a little pain. =)

Thank you.

(ps, I try to put extra spaces in a few key words, because those wierd links show up with certain words).