Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

Plant Swap

annie_nh
13 years ago

Just want everyone to know that I've set a date for our plant swap. It will be first Sunday in June same as last year.

Annie

Comments (54)

• defrost49
    13 years ago

I have my fingers crossed and a note on my calendar.

Carl, if you make it to the swap you should also allow time to visit Uncanoonuc Perennials. Lots of field grown plants and some nice landscaping to admire.

Heads up to folks in central NH: the Agway in Tilton has 6-packs of perennial starter plants such as lavender, echinacea, blue delphiniums, etc (6 of one kind) for $2.75. I got some last year and this spring those plants are doing great. Not all Agways have the same items. I don't think I saw these at the Concord store.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, Defrost. That's right up the road for me.

Annie - Once again, I'm hoping to come (even though I haven't succeeded so far in actually making it.) I'll be sure to put it in my calendar and hope that work doesn't get in the way.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

nhbabs, I hope you can come. I look forward to meeting you as I have appreciated so many of your helpful posts. How long does it take before I'm not a "new gardener?"

Blake, does tiger lily count as red because it's orangish red. I have those in abudance and they are ALL going away this year. You can take as many as you want when the hosta raid happens!

• dfaustclancy
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,

Can you believe it's spring already? Yes, I know the weather is crummy this weekend, but I tell myself, April Showers Bring May Flowers.... I will bring some heliopsis and also some primulas. I'm still trying to get a pink grapeleaf japanese anemone to grow without any luck. Can I have a new small plant? I'm also looking for red Jupiter's Beard (valerian) Keys of Heaven is the other name.

Blaketaylor - My primulas are Miller's Crimson, so I will save one for your red garden.

The soups we had last year were simply amazing! I remember them with great fondness.... I'm wondering what food item I could bring? Any requests?

Fondly, Debra

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Debra
    I was just thinking of you.Two months ago I started some Centhrus Ruba ( another name for your red Jupiter's Beard) and it is looking pretty good so if I don't kill them before June I will give you one maybe more if they all survive.. They are small but are looking very healthy
    I'm leaving Monday for Charleston SC. I always worry about my plants when I am away and just hope someone will water them including 100 tomato plants that I just transplanted. My sister thinks I am nuts.
    I haven't seen any signs of my Grape Leaf anemone yet but when they start appearing I will save you one of those as well. The primroses you gave me are doing well and I wouldn't mind another one if you have enough to share..
    The salad you brought last year was delicious.Another one of those would be great.
    Looking forward to seeing you
    Annie

• diene
    13 years ago

I am hoping to make it this year but time will tell. Hope everyone is enjoying the great weather. diene

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I volunteered at the NH State Tree Nursery in Boscawen this past week bundling trees . I came home with a bushel bag full of tree left- overs. Any one want some Blue Spruce?
    Annie

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,
    I would like to come to your swap for the first time. Been to quite a few others, but trying to expand my horizons. Do people state their wants/haves here?
    Marie (idabean) in Lexington MA

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

I-bean: Some of us "pre-arrange" trades; some don't. If you want to list what you might be bringing, readers might chime in to state interest in something you have and arrange a trade with you.
    I just like to bring whatever I have, and put it in the center for grabbies; I'm not usually looking for anything particular to trade, but if someone posts something that I'm interested in, I'll pre-arrange one. I'm more of a window-shopper.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

yes, if you have a wish list, definitely post it, cuz someone (like me) might be inclined to dig something up just because we know someone might want it (which makes room for NEW THINGS!)

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Marie
    I do so hope you can come to our plant swap. You and I joined Garden Web in the same year 2001 . I've followed your posts thru out the years and look forward to seeing you in person.
    mmqchdygg has given you the answers to your questions. You will enjoy her. The first year she came she brought a decorated bowling ball for an eye catcher. With our requests she has brought it to subsequent swaps.
    It is such a wonderful group who come year after year. I started having door prizes and now some of my regulars have been bringing contributions to add to the prizes that are really
    fabulous.
    Just don't think you are going to do the swap and then disappear.Everyone seemed so happy to have time to talk with fellow gardners that I started serving onion soup after the swap. My swappers have added to the menu.You will be here for a spell.
    Annie

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Oh you guys are funny! I can see I"ll have a good time. Annie, if you've been following my posts I quiver. I'm pretty disinhibited on this website and get scolded sometimes for being off topic. Some others are happy to chortle and scratch their heads midway.

This is my gardening family.
    Marie

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Blake- define "red." I have some Raspberry Wine Monarda that I can take some edge-chunks and reign in this patch for you if you like. Obviously, the color is "raspberry" and not red-red like "Jacob Kline" so this might not be what you're looking for. Annie's got the red one for you.

If anyone knows how to take a cutting of a weigela, I can bring you a piece of this "Red Prince" weigela. It's a relatively fast grower, and LOADED with red blooms twice a year.

Or if you're interested in seeds of Sonata "Carmine" for later in the season, I can probably find you some seeds...I usually start these in May or June and transplant them when they're about 4-6" tall to finish out the season til frost. Again, not entirely red-red, but not sure what you're looking for.

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Hi Tina,

The blooms that I am looking for are red red. If a flower has some white or yellow mixed in to accent the red red in its bloom that is good too.

If you can take a cutting of your weigel bush, Red Prince, that would be great!

Are you looking for anything particular this year?

Blake

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Hmmm...well, I think I might have to wait to take that cutting for you. I just did some homework, and apparently winter or summer is best for propagating weigelas. SO...having said that, this pic up there was taken on June 4th, and it's not quite in prime bloom, so I guess the cutting(s) will have to be taken mid-summer after it blooms. I'll get those to you for the fall swap.

I never know what I'm looking for til I see it...whatcha got this time?

13 years ago

Blake and Tina,

What about maltese cross Lychnis chalcedonica? I might have some seedlings, but I could for sure sow more seeds in jugs. I can't wait for these red-red flowers to bloom next year!

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

FWIW, my M-cross is scarlet, not red-red. Still pretty, but more of an orangey-red than red-red. Might be a soil thing if others get redder versions.

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Hi Tina,

Thank you. Tina. The fall swap will be just fine for that.

Right now I am digging up what is coming up. So far I have a set aside a couple of Lovage plants. I have several Egptian Onions, RED, Rose campanions. I have a holly Bush that is ten years old and getting way too big. But I haven't looked up how to propagate it yet. I have both the female and male. I have it on my long gardening list to do. But I would like to try to bring some cuttings that have rooted if I can make that happen.

I will probably bring southernwood and Lilly of the valley.

I might have some extra parsley seedlings. They seem to be poping up.

I am sure I will bring more as spring starts to emerges but that is what I am aware of at the moment. I will post a longer list after memorial weekend when I have a good look at what is growing in the yard.

I will probably bring bring extra vegetable seedlings of the things that I have wintered sowed, but that depends on how they fair over the next month.

I do have these very tall yellow flowers that i will be bringing. They are taller then me, but I don' know what they are. I got them about five years ago and I have a few extra that I am going to dig up this week. They bloom in alte JUly and through the fall. Sometimes they get so tall, I gave to stake them. But they are very pretty and adds such brightness to the garden.

Deanna, please do save me that red flower seedling if you have an extra one.

Blake

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I do have plants to share and am seeking others.
    European Ginger
    geranium macrorizome 'Spessart' groundcover, white flowers
    doronicum sp kind of coarse but a happy and reliable yellow daisy for shady woodlands
    groundcover whose Latin name I have forgotten even though I looked it up last night: an very aggressive groundcover that has strawberry like leaves, yellow flower and inedible red fruit. Be forewarned: you'd want a half acre of wasteland to cover for this.

I am trying to reclaim a hillside full of invasives and would certainly appreciate any native shrubs, trees, and wildflowers that will feed or sustain wildlife. I am making progress, but this year the buckthorn and wild garlic have a head start out of the gate.

Thank you to any one who might be able to help out. I'll have some more plants coming along to give away but I can't remember them now.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday because of the weather I stayed inside and amused myself by down-loading pictures of previous plant swaps on to FaceBook. Take a look. They will make you smile.
    Annie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Idabean
    I have a small Spirea bush. If you are interested I will try digging it up.

13 years ago

Annie, how do we find you on facebook?

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm pretty new to Facebook,Deanna, and don't know all the ins and outs but I think if you are a member you just type in my name.
    Annie

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,

I'd like to come please. It's a good 2 hour drive for me, but I have so much to give away and swaps are soooo fun. I can bring the following:

Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'
    Clethra alnifolia - Summersweet - species, not a cultivar
    Chocolate Chip Ajuga
    White Creeping Phlox
    Leucanthemum vulgare - Oxeye Daisy
    Coreopsis grandiflora
    Artemesia 'Silver Brocade'
    Agastache 'Blue Fortune'
    Guara
    Pink Garden Mum
    Variegated Carex
    Catmint -not sure the variety...it's low to the ground and you can see a picture of it in the "Fothergilla and Catmint" thread
    Violets

If anyone is interested, I can try to bring some bearberry that has rooted at the tips. I'm not sure how well it transplants though. I'll add more to the list as I think of it.

Lisa

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I'd be happy to share some of your Blue Fortune and bearberry.
    Thanks
    Marie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa,I would love to have you come to our swap.I think you will enjoy it. I see 2 items on your list Rudbeckia and Garden Mum that I would like if you can find something on my list that I will post shortly.

Annie

• sasha_nh
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,

Can't wait till the 6th-Sheila and I will be there. Haven't seen any posts from Lisa(ishareflowers) and I'm wondering if the Raven's Wing I gave her last fall made it ok-I seem to have lots of them sprouting up this year-anyone else want one just let me know. I think Tina wanted one and I can't remember who else asked about them, I'll bring a few-I also have some tall phlox that needs a good home. I'll post more as we get closer to the 6th.
    Marsha

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Couple more things that I can bring:

Monarda..I have a red and a deep pink mixed together, so it would be potluck
    Sweet Woodruff
    Raspberry Seedlings

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marsha,as far as I know Lisa(I share flowers) is coming.

Two weeks before the swap I'm going to make a new post with info etc. and ask that everyone let me know if they plan to come so that I will have a pretty good idea of how many people to expect..

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

If anyone has Sweet Annie seedlings, could you please bring some to the swap.

Thanks,
    Blake

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Annie,
    Do you which spirea you have? I don't have much room in the most-sun part of the garden, so it would have to be a small one.

Thank you for offering.
    mt

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Hi There Sasha,

The ravenswing is happily growing in my corner flower bed! How are the plants that you dug from my garden?? It has exploded this year and will need thinning by fall. I got a start of the scented geranium potted up for you the other day. I'll try for a start of the amythest of snow bb that you two liked.

Lisa

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I had the pleasure of walking around Annie's garden with her this afternoon and it is in such grand spring splendor right now! Absolutely gorgeous with the bleeding hearts, primrose, tulips, daffodils, jacobs ladder and I could just go on. It was a nice treat!!

I'll be coming to the swap but I don't have a whole list yet. I do think I'll have some purple heuchera seedlings and I also have spirea seedlings if anyone is interested. Marie, mine are from a large bumalda so I'm sure they would be too big for you.
    I have rose campion and oenothera fruticosa if anyone is interested in some spreaders. I have seedlings of agastache 'blue fortune' and some geraniums (not sure which variety). I also have a few very small shrubs but honestly, I have to remember which are which. I have a couple different viburnums and then hydrangea 'Tardiva' and 'Pink Diamond'. I potted them all up when I did some transplanting (they were rooted off the mother plants) and didn't label them at the time. I'm sure I can figure out which viburnum is which but have to think about the hydrangeas.

I know this is a little different, but I also purged my garden library a bit so I have garden books to trade for plants if anyone is interested. Here are the titles I'll be bringing:

An Instant Guide to Wildflowers by Forey and Fitzsimmons
    The Butterfly Garden by Sedenko
    Alba 'The Book of White Flowers' by Bown
    Time Life Gardener's Guide Perennials
    The Cottage Garden by Christopher Lloyd and Bird
    Making the Most of Clematis by Evison
    Dried Flower Gardening by Sheen and Alexander
    The Perennial Garden (color harmonies) by Cox and Cox
    The New Rose Expert by Hessayon
    The Bedding Plant Expert by Hessayon
    The Winter Garden by Buchanan
    Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials

Looking forward to it!
    Susan

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ideabean, I don't know what Spirea I have. The flowers are pink. I have 2 bushes that have sprouted up quite a ways from the main bush

The main bush is about 3 to 4 fr. high.Every 2 to 3 years I give it a trim.
    Everything is popping up in my garden now. I have loads of Jacob's ladder if anyone is interested. This is an heirloom type which I think is more dainty than the more common varietyThe flowers are light blue. Hopefully it will still be in bloom by June 6th so you can see it.
    Other plants that I will be digging up are regular primrose, phlox,evening primrose, scented and wild germanium, spider-wart,and obedient plant,I will try to pot up some of the young lupins but they are very hard to transplant.I'm also going to try to dig up some rugosa roses. Not sure how successful I will be as they too are hard to transplant.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,
    I think I will pass on the spirea. Thanks anyway.
    Marie

• candogal
    13 years ago

I'm really excited about the plant swap - this will be my first one ever! I have some questions so I don't commit any faux pas...

I've been gardening since we bought the house 10 years ago, but I feel like I don't have tons of things to swap yet. There wasn't much here except shrubs and untended beds, so whatever I've divided in those years I've used.

I do have an immense amount of tiny perennial seedlings I started this winter/spring. I've never been successful with seed starting until this year when my hubby made me a great set up for Christmas with lights, heat mats, etc. Since I've always had to sow tons of seeds to get anything, I really overdid it since my new set up worked great. My kids have been having a good time teasing me about the flats upon flats of seedlings.

But most of them are "easy" kinds of perennials that I guess I think experienced gardeners wouldn't want as little baby plants? Can someone please give me advice about what to bring, how to label it, etc. I'm guessing experienced gardeners are understanding about my variety of dixie cups, yogurt tubs, and sterilized & re-used flat pack inserts?

I have: (Numbers of extras are approximates, based on how many I think I'll use, also on how many I give away to friends before the swap.)
    Coreopsis Baby Sun (maybe 10-15)
    Feverfew (15+)
    Dianthus (maybe, they're not looking too happy)
    Lavender - maybe (Munstead & English)
    Shasta Daisy - Alaska & White Knight (10-20 or more of each)
    Rudbeckia (10-15)
    Monarda - Perennial & annual Bergamo (not sure #)
    Yarrow - mostly unknown as yet pastel colors (20)
    NE Aster (20)
    Golden Marguerite (20)
    Anise Hyssop (not sure, still need to prick out from the WS container, but sheesh there's tons)
    Purple Coneflower (also still in WS container)
    I may also have some herb seedlings left then - friends seem to want those more.

If someone can explain to me how to dig up the rooted sections of my forsythias (forgot to prune again - whups) without killing them, I could bring some of those, too. I've never managed to give those away without them dying.

I feel a little silly offering this, but if someone doesn't have a free source of manure, a guy in my town that has 2 horses, a sheep and a goat puts out big leaf bags free for the taking. I wouldn't mind bringing some. (Now the kids will really laugh.)

I would love to come home with any shade or part-shade plants. Especially if someone has shade natives or wildflowers. I'm trying to establish plantings in the shadier parts of my yard, and many of those phase into wild woodlands. I have some seeds to start for shady areas, too, but the veggies have been keeping me busy lately.

Thanks, Tricia

P.S. If folks stay around and chat, home-baked goodies sound appropriate to bring as well. Yes?

• sarahrock
    13 years ago

I would love to come up for this, and I'll try my best not to come empty handed. Please keep me in the loop for details/directions!

Thanks!

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Candogal
    No gardener in her right mind would laugh at a bag of s--t
    If you want to meet some wonderful nuts, go to the compost forum. There's folks out there in America who would probably compost their own nightsoil if the neighbors wouldn't complain.
    If you hear laughing its only us laughing at ourselves.
    I'll have some stuff you can use, fer sure. Of the plant sort, that is
    idabean

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Does anyone have any honeysuckle that is suited for a semi shaded area? Another project this year, besides making a red garden, is creating a privacy screen with perenial vines. SO if anyone has any extra honeysuckle that they would like to trade, please let me know. If I don't have a plant that you need, I also offer home made desserts and tarot cards readings to trade!

Blake

13 years ago

Candogal, we're all sympathetic gals and you can unload your s**t on us at the swap. Sometimes we all need to unload, right? Wouldn't my husband think I'm crazy if I came home with a bag of it, though?!

I have a few things to swap. Those of you that remember last fall may not be surprised that I have TONS...and TONS...of purple irises. I guess I should save them for the fall swap!

I should be able to bring:
    Culinary herbs: Sage officianalis, Italian parsley, mint (I have SO MUCH mint)
    'Alma Potschke' aster
    Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
    Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow' (should have a few 6-packs of these)
    Pink Baby's Breath, annual (should have a few 6-pack of these)
    Sweet Pea 'Royal Mix
    Sweet Pea 'Kings High Scent'
    Creeping Jenny 'Goldilocks'

I also took home a few extras from the fall swap and will bring those as well. Will post later about those.

And, for those of you with a large landscape, I also have too many ditch/Tiger lilies. Any takers?!

Deanna

• sheeshrn
    13 years ago

Blake,
    I have been trying to root honeysuckle for Beryl since last fall. I will lay a few down for you also, no promises the fall one did not take. I have scored the vine and used a rooting hormone. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to propagate honeysuckle?
    As always Marsha and I can't wait for the day to get here!!
    Lisa your white lilac bloomed for me!!! Thank you
    Who ever was looking for RED, I have an unknown name red day lily out back that I got last year, will gladly bring a smidge for you.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is supposed to be a frost tonight and maybe for the next 2 nights so I won't spend too much time here until I'm sure all my babies that I put out to harden off are okay.
    New people responding to this swap, you are all welcome.Will contact you later
    .Blake, I have honeysuckle bushes and maybe vines. When you come to the swap look around and if you see what you are looking for, I'll give you a shovel and you can dig.
    More later.Have to find blankets to keep all my babies from getting frost bit

Annie

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I've got a lone rooted piece of 'goldflame' lonicera.
    idabean

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Thank you, Ida Bean, Sheeshrn and Annie, for the honey suckle offerings. I am sure I can use them all. Annie, I will bring my shovel.

Blake

• rzax
    13 years ago

I missed both swaps last year and was miserable. But, I'm planning to come on June 6th and may be bringing a friend who has beautiful gardens and is a real rhodie freak.
    I'll definitely have lily of the valley, Solomon's Seal, some hosta, gooseneck loosestrife and a few other goodies. The red primula sounds wonderful and I wouldn't mind some of that. Will bring something for the potluck and will see if I can add to the raffle items as well. Looking forward to it!

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Anyone interested in Iberis? (Perennial Candytuft)

I've got a clump blooming right now, and it's getting slightly out of control. Needs dividing.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Hi Annie,
    I came 2 (or 3?) years ago with a lot of hens and chicks and some primroses and a few other things (telling you so you might remember me,lol). I would like to come again this year. Will have to think about what I've got.
    Kathy in Lebanon

• beryllium
    13 years ago

Hi Annie and Sheeshrn (and Marsha)
    Will see you all Sunday. Met a lady last fall (while having testing at the hospital) who is starting a perennial garden, so bringing her along. I will be bringing Jack in the Pulpit and a few other things. Can't wait - leave me a parking space lol
    Beryl

• burtonhill
    12 years ago

Hi Annie,
    I did not see my posting responding to attending your wonderful plant swap so I am posting again. My mother (Ann Southmayd from Londonderry, my sister Kathy Schettino from Maine and myself Lynn Burton from Goffstown will be attending.
    Thanks so much. Lynn

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD- THIS IS THE 2010 THREAD!

thank you. :)