Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peepers and hummers

Posted by blowell 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 8:34

Heard the first peepers a few days ago, boy were they loud! Making up for lost time. The first hummingbird spotted in southern MA. As far as I'm concerned, spring is officially here! Even though I do still have 6" of ice on my pool cover and snow in the shady parts of the yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peepers and hummers

Blowell....you are in southern Mass? I assume you are further west at a higher elevation? Because your observations are very different from mine down here in the far SE area of MA. We have had peepers for a few weeks and I have not seen any ice or snow in a long time--I think we even lost our piles back in march. And now lots of stuff is blooming. Daffodils are in full bloom. The forsythia is now out. Star magnolias are blooming and saucer buds are starting to break. Those early pink azaleas are in full bloom.

o
RE: Peepers and hummers

Yup. We're in the Worcester Hills. Another 1000 ft above you. I keep seeing one pile of dirty snow at a factory in Spencer, but other than that it's finally all gone. I have lots of perennial crowns coming up, and lots of buds, but other than the Andromida in the front yard,nothing in bloom yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here