Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Buds Breaking?

Posted by whitegarden Z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 9:03

Am concerned that the buds on my wisteria are not breaking yet. Are yours?

Actually, my climbing rose buds haven't broken yet either. Things are so weird this year. Bulbs are shooting but everything else seems really lethargic. Some more rain would be welcomed and might help too,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Buds Breaking?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 10:36

Nothing much happening on my wisteria either, although the roses are starting up. It's still early daffodil time here and we're off to a slow start this season (which is usual for the southeast coast). Forsythia are starting to bloom.

They're talking about some rain tonight.

Claire

o

Thanks for responding Claire. That's good news...

o

No bud break here along the CT coastline for my wisteria. Everything in the garden is happening slowly this year.

Molie

o

This has been a strange Spring. The days are warm enough to expect shrubs and perennials to be breaking dormancy, but very few are. I just made my garden tour "inspection" this afternoon and found tiny leaves swelling on my roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, but the fruit trees are still sleeping. Half my newly planted rhododendrons and Blue Prince Holly look as if they didn't survive the winter, but my wisteria does have some swollen buds. Two of my six peonies have tiny red shoots piercing through the surface. The poison ivy, on the other hand, is bursting through the soil. April is indeed the cruelest month!

o

This has been a strange Spring. The days are warm enough to expect shrubs and perennials to be breaking dormancy, but very few are. I just made my garden tour "inspection" this afternoon and found tiny leaves swelling on my roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, but the fruit trees are still sleeping. Half my newly planted rhododendrons and Blue Prince Holly look as if they didn't survive the winter, but my wisteria does have some swollen buds. Two of my six peonies have tiny red shoots piercing through the surface. The poison ivy, on the other hand, is bursting through the soil. April is indeed the cruelest month!

o

I agree, it is very strange. I have a client who told me that her "entire garden is dead." I went over to take a look and, although several small boxwoods did expire, several others are just unsightly and the rest of the garden is fine, just "slow to show."

I think today's weather will help speed things along. I am very relieved to see rain.

o

True, whitegarden, rain will help things along. It's been very dry as well as cooler. Last year at this time, we planted a flowering peony and other perennials in bloom that we bought in a CT gardening center. So things are about 2 weeks behind according to my records.

Here's the peony .... on April 22, 2013. The thing that struck me about this photo is that it shows the corner of our deck. The two pots we usually put there are already set in place and filled with soil... ready for planting.

o

None on mine yet. My roses have started leafing out; the fairies are fully leafed out. Daffs are all out now, as well as the forsythia this week.

Think I lost two transplants--Invincibelle Spirit and a deutzia. I don't care about the IS, though. I heard someone describe its color as "nylon stockings" and since then I can't stand it! It was a gift from a friend.

o

LOL chardie! Of course, now I have to do a Google search to see photos.

Still nothing on mine either :(

o

Correction: I checked last nite when I got home from work and saw a bud breaking out!

o

Just checked. My 'Blue Moon' leaf buds are staring to open.Flowers will come out later.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 12:24

I stood under my wisteria today and smelled a very slight whiff of wisteria fragrance, so I went looking for the perp. This is the only flower bud opening that I found, although I didn't peruse the whole thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'll have to watch to make sure the squirrels don't get up there and eat the buds.

Claire

o

Finally, my new wisteria buds began to break this weekend. What a relief!

I know it is too early for flowers, but I am still looking forward to the greenery filling in my trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here