Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avant Gardens opens today

Posted by diggingthedirt CapeCod Z7? (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 9:26

If you haven't been there, put it somewhere on your list of things to do and places to go; North Dartmouth, MA, not too far from Haskells, near New Bedford.

They have a new blog, linked below, and there's a link to their retail site on the blog. Lots of fun to visit, they specialized in unusual plants long before Mahoney's started stocking anything interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenforeplay, avantgardens blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avant Gardens opens today

That's not that far from me. Road trip anyone?

Lisa

o

Avant Gardens did my landscape design - working with them was great! I'm actually headed to Haskell's either today or tomorrow, and was going to swing by Avant to check out their fountains and pick up a few plants. :-)

o

I make a day long road trip out of going to Briggs Nursery in North Attleboro, Seven Arrows in South Attleboro, Avant Gardens, a stop at Outlet shopping down the street from Avant Gardens and then on to Haskell's.

o

So Avant Gardens really IS that good? I've been on their mailing list for years,
just never made it in person - I like allotting lots of time for "new" nurseries
of interest - and, yes, I'm a "nursery-collector" ! Now that some of my old high school chums (from Sharon, MA) have resurfaced in Norton, maybe while visiting
them this summer I'll finally get to add Avant to my nursery collection. . .

Carl

o

Ok I confess I couldn't stand the idea of waiting and possibly missing out on Ginko biloba 'Chase Manhattan', Ilex 'Rock Garden', Veronia gigantea, Acer palamtum 'Wou Nishiki' Amorphopahilus konjac, ect, ect.. so I went ahead and ordered on line. The plants arrived in terrific shape, they used all compostable packing materials, and included two bonus plants. What more could a girl ask for.

o

Well, Kt, I had to go to the website and check out these plants; couldn't resist. Great choices! The Ginkgo is a rock garden plant, a real miniature. It's a good thing, because I'm a sucker for ginkgos and I've really run out of room for any more trees.

But the Voodoo Lily has me reaching for my credit card; I think I need a half dozen of those. Check them out, anyone who, like me, is not familiar them, at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amorphopahilus konjac

o

dtd,
The Ginkgo is a rock garden plant, a real miniature
Ginko 'Chi Chi' is a good size shrub 4 x 4' and has been very happy in my garden. As you can imagine the texture is unbeatable. I suppose I will now confess that I picked up Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken' as well. I have some illness that once I fall for a plant I can't stop buying them, I guess it's like that second glass of wine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here