Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Mulch around Ansonia, CT

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

I am looking for mulch to be delivered around Ansonia, CT. Last time I used a place in Seymou and it was full of junk including wire of all things. Anyone have any experience? Thanks, Rich

Comments (8)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

I've used DR Charles in Monroe and Grillo Services in Milford and have been happy with both. DR Charles has a 'Sweet mulch' that's mixed with manure. I would like to see other responses too though bc I'm always looking for a better product/price if possible. Good luck! :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Richie, have you tried Marcucio's up the road on 34? I've never used them for mulch, but they are fresh in my mind since I just drove by them this morning!

I don't know if Benedict's in Monroe does delivery - are you looking for bulk delivery, or just a delivery of bagged mulch?

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

I don't know what "delivery to surrounding towns" means but Cole Brothers in Woodbury has beautiful mulch. All kinds... they do deliver, but I don't know how far afield they go, or what this year's prices are. Might be worth a call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole Bros. Mulch

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Dee, I used to go to Marcucio but he doesn't have mulch anymore, the neighbors did away with that and zoning made him stop. he was ok but had mixed foreighn material in it also.

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Richie -- another place to check out, if you haven't, is Haynes on Rt. 67. They'll do bulk delivery but don't know what the prices are like (we've never used them).

As long as you're already asking about mulch...can I hijack your thread for a minute and ask if anyone has found any substantive (i.e., performance, such as water retention, etc.) advantage to hemlock mulch over cedar mulch? I'm about to order some, and it's a very minor cost difference between the two, but the owner suggested that the hemlock mulch (the more expensive) might retain moisture better. Is there any downside (besides an extra $3 a yard) to hemlock over cedar? I want a natural brown color.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marty, One of my neighbors told me about Haynes this weekend. He bought some special mulch at a pick up price of $50 per yard. I'll probably go up there and check the place out.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

the owner suggested that the hemlock mulch (the more expensive) might retain moisture better.

Nonsense. The only difference is the color. Sometimes bark mulch can get packed down and begin to "shed" water, especially when applying supplemental water to plants. This can be avoided by simply raking the mulch with a 3 prong rake or similar tool. But Cedar and Hemlock differ only in color.

Steve

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Ah, Steve - thanks! (To his credit, the owner said he didn't really know... he thought "maybe" the hemlock would retain moisture better because the cedar was "woodier" (less bark, more wood??) and he thought the hemlock might be "spongier" because there was more bark in it. So he was (I think) saying that might translate into better water retention (which this year, at least, is the primary factor since I expect we're going to see drought conditions pretty early on!) I asked him if there was a difference in how well the two mulches would retain water and that was his response... Sounds as if I can go with either, and should decide based on color and texture since the prices are so close.