Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning canes on climbing rose - how to?

Posted by debra_boston Zone 5 - Boston (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 10:06

Hi,
Anybody know a good website or video on how to prune a climbing rose? The canes are pretty long and I seem to remember that you shouldn't prune more than 1/3 in spring. Any ratio/formulas you use? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning canes on climbing rose - how to?

Lots of good tips by googling pruning climbing roses, but this one seems to meet your needs.
Molie

Here is a link that might be useful: AshdownRoses

o

Debra_boston: this video, the first that I found, had some good tips about "equipment" to use when pruning roses. Molie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning climbing roses

o

Hey Molie,
Thanks SO MUCH for posting these two videos. I've watched them both and have a much better idea of what to do now. I appreciate the time and trouble you took to give me a helping hand. Gardenweb and their wonderful members are such a useful resource for a gardener doing his/her thing solo. Many thanks!
Deb

o

Hmm, I just googled this the other day. I told myself THIS would be the year that I would finally prune my roses, and that THIS would be the year that I would not let pruning intimidate me. I read a few sites on pruning, tried less successfully to find tips for climbing roses, grabbed my shears, marched out the to garden.... and proceeded to snip of the dead ends of the branches. Yes, ends, as in one or two inches. Sigh. I am such a wimp.

I did cut out the dead branches, and there is one bush that is really weak and so I pruned that back fairly hard (not that there was much left to prune). I'm hoping it comes back with a vengeance if for no other reason than to help me get over my pruning fears.

I was at a loss with my climbing rose, though. I'm going to go take a look at the links Molie provided, and maybe go back out there with the shears....

:)
Dee

o

Dee, one point mentioned on a video is something I've been puzzling over for a while --- own root vs grafted roses. I've had problems with Dr.Huey overtaking 2 of my roses, then this year I lost some roses to storm damage. All of these were grafted roses. So the next one I put in will be an own-root rose. The view of shoots coming up from the ground far out from the main trunk was what "sold" me.

Also, I noticed that the very large "stem" the man sawed away in one video was what I would call a trunk. I fear cutting something like that from a grafted rose might be very damaging.

In any case, I guess you do have to be fearless with roses just as with other shrubs. So---- get out those lopers, saws and shears & go at it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here