Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitegarden

Need help with hardening off my seedlings.

Hi guys,

So this seed novice has planted three trays of seedlings. all but the strawberries have germinated, although a lower %age of the peppers that I would have liked.

What do I do now?

I brought them outside yesterday although I am pretty sure it was warmer outside than in.

Please help, I don't want to lose them.

Comments (7)

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

Seedlings need to be hardened off gradually. You don't want to go from inside to direct sun or strong wind. I take mine out on the first day and put them into a few hours of bright light but not direct sun. The next day, I put them out into bright light but not direct sun for the entire day. The third day, I put them out for a few hours of direct sun and the fourth day I leave them in direct sun all day. I wouldn't expose them to radically different temperatures than what they are used to until they are hardened off. At best, that will stunt their growth and at worst it will kill them.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I agree with what tree oracle said about the temps and shade. Remember that what you are getting them accustomed to is the ultra-violet light in the sunshine. That's why putting them in the deep shade at first, and then gradually getting them used to the amount of sun that they will be planted in, is important.

Steve

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I am a bit more cautious than tree oracle and usually leave mine out in bight shade for several days to a week before they get much sun and then I move them every few days to a bit more sun. I don't know if that's needed. I also bring them in if it's likely to be below 50 at night as cold seems to stunt growth.

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Yep! I agree with others have said.

I once put out some tomato seedings for a couple hours in direct sun and wham! after just a couple hours, these poor babies were slumped over and dessicated. I brought them back indoors and left them in the shade with plenty of water to rehydrate and they perked right up overnight! What troopers! Plants are a lot more resilient than we think.

I think I will bring them outside and keep them in filtered shade for quite a few days before I put them in direct sun again. Even cloudy days are good to harden off seedlings.

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So this whole process should take about a week or 10 days if I am being really conservative. I haven't even prepped the beds yet so I think I will keep them on my window sills for two more weeks. Will they be okay that way?

What a dope I am!

I also have a bunch of seeds for direct sowing and am assuming I don't need to worry about them for at least two more weeks.

Am I on the right track guys?

Thanks for all your responses.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Your plants will be stockier if they go outside in bright shade during the day where it's cooler than your house and they are exposed to some air movement. Then bring them in at night or when it's too cold or windy for seedlings to do well.

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Head is spinning.

BE the seedling, BE the seedling!

;)