Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenstress

hiding an ugly white fence

kitchenstress
12 years ago

We have some nice cedar fences around the yard, but on one side our yard is separated from the neighbors' yard by their hideous cheap white fence. Our side of that white fence faces north and gets no direct sunlight in the winter and direct sunlight only until 9:30 or 10am during summer. The rest of the yard gets full sun, so there's plenty of indirect light. I've been planting impatiens there and they have thrived but must be redone each spring and they're too short to distract the eye from the bulk of the fence. We'd love to plant something tall enough to hide most of the white. Not sure about arborvitae - I've read that they dont' do well in areas watered regularly by sprinkler systems. Also I was considering red twig dogwood but I think they might get too bulky and extend out into the yard too far. Can they be pruned to grow wide but not deep? Would prefer something that would only come out from the fence a few feet. Would enjoy any suggestions from those who know more about gardening than me, which would be just about everyone.

Comments (3)