Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help iD'ing very large garden grub

Posted by ksbdiy (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 10:46

Was digging a bed around an white oak? tree yesterday and turned up a horrendously large white grub. Want to ID it to find out if it is something nasty.
It was about the size of my little finger (2" long and 1/2" wide, chubby, creamy yellow color, no legs or hairs, tapered to one end and the dramatic 6-8 middle segments had a pattern on them like a circle with a line in the middle). I have never seen a grub this big - it was very lethargic - and it was so big it was kind of creepy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help iD'ing very large garden grub

It sounds like a queen termite...

o

ksbdiy,
Could you dig this monster up again and take a photo for us? kt

o

Saying a grub is white is kind of like saying the sky is blue. Post a picture, and I'll give it a whirl. Two or more pictures would be better, one showing the overall appearance, one showing a sideshot of the head as closeup (in focus) as you can get it, and another showing the pattern you noticed.

Oh, a shot of the underside would be helpful, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here