Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sanguinaria c. 'Multiplex'

Posted by leslie6ri (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 10:54

I've always wanted a double Sanguinaria and finally ordered one. It should be arriving today. But I've planted single bloodroots before and something always eats them. Not one has ever bloomed. I really don't want to lose this plant. What do fellow gardeners think of planting the rhizome in a suet cage? Do you think that would be protection enough? Do you think the holes in the suet cage would be too small? Or too big?

Does anyone have any tricks to protect specialty plants that you really don't want eaten?

Thanks for any suggestions at all.

Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sanguinaria c. 'Multiplex'

Leslie, one of my all-time favorite plants! I think a suet cage would have holes that are too large. A vole can get through the tightest space. Maybe your local hardware store has hardware cloth that you could make a cage from? I think it comes as small as 1/8". If you make it big enough there should be enough room for roots, and the roots would grow through the holes anyway. I've had voles decimate part of my clumps of this plant so you're probably right to protect it.

o
RE: Sanguinaria c. 'Multiplex'

Hi thyme2dig,

Thanks for answering. I did manage to get the plant into a suet cage --it wasn't easy because it's already in bloom! But I carefully worked the 3 shoots into the holes and managed to knock extra soil off the roots without disturbing the rhizome. I was thinking of using hardware cloth around the sides and bottom of the suet cage for extra protection but I don't think I can cover the top because of the shoots. I should have asked for an earlier ship date, I guess. A bare rhizome would have been easier to work with. --At least now I can lift the rhizome without causing it much damage as I try to reinforce the cage. (As an aside... I asked about hardware cloth as Lowe's and the man I spoke with had never heard of it. Despite the fact that we found shelves of it a few feet away.) I will add hardware cloth to the sides and bottom (and over the top when it stops blooming).

Thanks very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here