Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
circa1825

What Smells Like Coconut?

circa1825
17 years ago

Sometimes when I pull weeds or dig around in the dirt in the flower bed in my front yard, I come across something that smells like coconut. I can never figure out where the smell is coming from, whether it's leaves, roots, weeds, or something I planted on purpose but didn't know would smell like that. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• wendy2
    17 years ago

COCONUT TELEGRAPH
    By Jimmy Buffett

Tuesday on the island
    Not much goin' on
    The parties are all over
    They ended just past dawn
    But the jungle drums are beating
    With the tales from late last night
    Cause the stories bear repeating
    For everyones delight

Chorus
    You can hear it on the coconut telegraph
    Can't keep nothin' under their hat
    You can hear 'em on the coconut telegraph
    Sayin' who did dis and dat
    Dis and dat dis and dat

Now I'm not one to deal in gossip
    But was he that big of fool?
    To do a belly buster high dive
    And miss the entire pool?
    Now what's the word on sweet Melissa?
    And the kid nobody knew
    Did Ricardo ever find her?
    I swear it's just between me and you

Chorus
    By now everybody knows
    Just who comes and goes
    Comes and goes comes and goes

It's humpday on the island
    And the lines have all gone dead
    All the juicy news is history
    I guess everything's been said
    But when the eagle flies on Friday
    And the boys break out the rum
    Then the joint begins to jumpin'
    And you'll hear those hot lines hum

Chorus
    Put it on the coconut telegraph
    All the celebration and the stress
    Put it on the coconut telegraph
    In tewnty-five words or less

• circa1825
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hahaha! You two are too funny!! No pina coladas here, though. At least not this early in the season! But whatever it is makes me want to stuff my face with it, like a giant slice of coconut cream pie. I'm thinking I'll have to get down on all fours and sniff it out. I hope it doesn't LOOK too tasty, or it might be a goner!

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Hi Circa1825 - I've experienced the same thing lately, thought I'd try and revive this thread and see if anyone can answer the question, Buffett tunes aside.
    I clipped a plant growing where I did not want it and threw the stem into a bucket. The next few days I could not figure out where the coconut/sunblock smell was coming from out there.
    Finally I remembered clipping a mystery plant. It was only a few inches tall, green leaves with no remarkable or unique characteristics. Now I see a couple more little ones coming up in another pot. And if you tear a leave it is a VERY strong coconut smell.
    We are far apart Circa, MA to FL, but it sounds like the same thing. Anyway, if someone knows of this, please let me know! I'd really love to know what this thing is. Thanks all!
    kelly

• MichaelB_MAz6
    14 years ago

This was interesting enough for me to try and find something. I have not experienced this weed/plant/smell in my garden or elsewhere.

one possibility is 'Gorse' numerous references to it as having a cocnut scent. Also numerous reference to it being invasive . But they do say that the flowers are the coconut smell not the plant itself.
    http://www.brickfieldspark.org/data/gorse.htm

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

My dog smells like coconut. The white pet shampoo that I bought at petco has a tropical coconut fragrance! I'm tempted to take a bite out of him, but I know the taste of fur would be disappointing and NOT the coconut cream pie I crave!

{{gwi:1065771}}

Sorry, I have no idea what garden plant might smell of coconut! I only smell it in the garden when my dog is around.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

How about this one? AKA: Coconut Scented Geranium

Here is a link that might be useful: Pelargonium Grossularioides

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

cheap cookies made with palm oil
    inexpensive sunscreens

I do not like the smell of coconut though it is better than boxwood or alleanthus.(tree of heaven)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Kelly, can you post a photo of your suspect?

:)
    Dee

• Chas Troger
    7 years ago

I have been trying to find the answer for a few years. I have smelled hundreds of trees, bushes, plants and soil. I almost felt like I was going crazy. I was once again running a search for a plant that smells like the beach, tanning lotion, coconuts and so on. I have called greenhouses, Lowe's and Home Depot.....never do I have luck. Has anyone else had any luck?

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    7 years ago

I have no idea, but the folks on the Name That Plant! Forum have very wide areas of expertise and they love a good mystery and will go out of their way to find an answer.

You might want to post there too if no one here knows what the plant is.

Claire

• Sylwia Mazurek
    3 years ago

For me when u hold a parsley root for a while it leaves the smell of coconut oil.

• Cassandra Pafford
    2 years ago

Do any of you that are smelling the coconut mystery smell have fig trees?

I have been in the same situation, trying to figure out where that Delicious coconut smell was coming from. It took me what seemed like forever, (a couple of years,) to finally figure it out.

I can't remember if someone told me or if I just kept googling it until I found something but I finally figured it out. It's my fig tree! I hope this can help y'all!

http://perfumenw.blogspot.com/2012/10/dried-fig-leaves.html?m=1

Cassandra in Alabama

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Fig leaves have a very distintive smell. You can tell if there is one nearby even if you can’t see it. But to my nose it doesn’t smell of coconut at all.

• HU-76011301
    8 months ago

May be terragon . I bought what was marked as savory. But when I cut it to dry, it smelled like licorice, but now every time i open the closet door, i smell coconut.