Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite nurseries and garden centers, what are yours???

Posted by sedum37 Z5 NE (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 11:09

Hi fellow gardeners,
At this time of year my time spent visiting nurseries is in high gear! I thought it would be fun to make a list of favorite places to visit to buy plants and supplies and see where other people are shopping this year.

To make this thread readable, please list your favorite nursery and garden centers using the following format:

1st Line: #) Nursery Name, Town, State Abbreviation
2nd Line: Web site or Street address or Telephone number of the nursery so other people can visit
3rd Line: why it is your favorite??

So here is my list (in no particular order):

1) Russell's Garden Center, Wayland, MA
http://www.russellsgardencenter.com/
-Wonderful selection of plants, especially rock garden plants, containers, water garden plants, interesting garden supplies.

2) Mahoney's Garden Center, Winchester, MA
http://www.mahoneysgarden.com/
-The original location! Large selection of perennials, annuals, trees and shrubs.

3) Lake Street Garden Center, Salem, NH
http://www.lakestreet.com/
-Rock garden plants, heirloom tomato starter plants, herbs, unusual annuals

4) Catalado Nurseries and Garden Center, Littleton, MA
http://www.cataldonurseries.com/
-Selection of perennials, containers, fertilizers, silk flower supplies. Also they have a wonderful gift shop.

5) Griggs Farm, Billerica, MA
599 Boston Road, Rte. 3A
-Heirloom vegetable starter plants, starter sized clematis vines at a good price. Of course their corn and tomatoes in summer!

6) New England Wildflower Society, Framingham, MA
http://www.newfs.org
-Of course the native plant selection is great here!

7) Blanchette Gardens, Carlisle, MA
http://www.blanchettegardens.com
-Wonderful shade perennials and other exotic perennials. Extensive selection.

8) R.Seawright Gardens, Carlisle, MA
http://www.daylilies-hostas.com.
-Great for Hostas and field dug daylilies. Like the display gardens of hostas. Visit in July and August.

Let's see if we can get listings for all 6 New England states!

To keep this thread manageable, please list sales items in the local sales and specials thread.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 2005 Sales and Specials Thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite nurseries and garden centers, what are yours???

Russell's is my favorite too. Their plants are always healthy, the selection is great, and their staff are knowledgeable. Now that I'm into winter sowing, I buy less and less stuff there but always make an annual trek for tomatoes and unusual veggies and herbs.

o

McCue's on Cambridge St., in Woburn, MA

Morrisson's on Long Pond Road in Plymouth, MA

I visited the new Mahoney's in Brighton/Allston (they were kicked off their Memorial Drive corner by landlord Harvard U and are renting an odd space on Western Ave. in Allston.) First nursery I've been to that runs down a hillside!

o

Rolling Green Nursery, Greenland, NH (there is a website)

Salmon Falls Nursery, So. Berwick, ME

Coastal Landscaping and Garden Center, York, ME

O'Donals Nursery, Gorham, ME

Wentworth Gardens, Dover, NH

o

Two that I like:
Farmer's Daughter in Auburn, MA
Weston Nurseries in Hopkinton, MA (for dreaming)

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 16:52

Newbury Perennial Gardens - Byfield, Mass.
Bemis's - Spencer, Mass.
Northeast Nursery - Peabody, Mass.
Russell's - Sudbury, Mass.
Marblehead Garden Center - Marblehead, Mass.

o
Almost forgot...RE: Favorite nurseries and garden centers, what a

Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 16:54

How could I have forgotten to mention Haskell's - New Bedford. Allen Haskell is no longer with us, but his son and life partner continue to operate the wonderful garden center and gardens together.

o

Broken Arrow Nursery, Hamden, CT

Comstock Ferre, Wethersfield, CT

Carol's Collectibles, Ashford, CT

Variegated Foliage Nursery, Eastford, CT

Natureworks, Northford, CT

Garden Sales, Manchester, CT

Country Flower Farms, Middlefield, CT (for tender stuff)

All of the above have websites except Garden Sales.

Sue

o

On the upper cape, I love Pondscapes in Cataumet for their unusual perennials, shrubs and trees. They have the best quality plants of any of the local nurseries, I think - the owner is really picky about the varieties he carries.

Twin Gardens in Monument Beach grows their own vegetables, herbs, and annuals, and sells inexpensive, healthy flats, They always grow a small assortment of perennials too - sold in 4 packs. I love that you can buy 4 lavendar for about 3 bucks there. Some of their perennials have turned out to be aggressive self-sowers, so you need to bring a book with to check before you buy (I'm still trying to eradicate summer pastels achillea)

I love Haskells, and when I make the trip there I always also try to go to Avant Gardens. It's not too far away, I think it's in Dartmouth - they have really great unusual plants.

o

Sylvan Nursery
1028 Horseneck Road
Westport, MA

Gigantic. Herbs to trees and every possible shrub, perennial, etc. in between.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvan Nursery

o

Great listings! Now I have some ideas when we go for a long weekend. My husband kids me that if we go someplace for the weekend we must also visit all the nearby nurseries in addition to the museums and local attractions we actually came to see!

Cady - I've always wanted to go to Newbury Perennial Gardens. I have a relative that lives in Byfield and the two times we tried to go, the nursery was closing for the day. Do you think the display gardens are worth the charge?

So do we have any Vermont or Rhode Island gardeners with favorites???

o

For RI--

Peckham's (Greenhouse? Gardens?), Little Compton, RI.
Family run, with a varied and unusual selection of indoor plants, rock garden and alpine plants, annuals, perennials and a few choice (and choicely priced, sadly) shrubs and trees. Rick Peckham and his mother do a lot of their own propagating and it's always fascinating to see this in progress.

Manchester's, Tiverton, RI
Small, but with an interesting selection of shrubs and small trees. Much of the woody plant stock is grown down the street by the owner. It's fun to see what he's growing on for sale in upcoming years.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about "southern" RI. I'd be interested to hear about nurseries there. Great thread.

Amanda

o

Sue,
I noticed you had Cataldos and Blanchettes on your list. two of my favorites also. For good prices since you are already in Littleton area- it's worth a stop at Cupp & Cupp wholesale nurseries- targeting the trade but open to the public with same prices. It's right off ( Right right off)exit 30 Northbound on 495 onto RT110 Littleton. if you don't look for the driveway right on your right when you exit the HWY you will miss it. They don't have the unique plant selection that you find at Carlisle but great prices and very nice shrubs, roses, clematis, and hanging annuals. Check them out.

o

Conway's in Tiverton RI used to be a favorite - last year they did not open at all, though. A friend told me it was because the proprietor had signed on to one of the big box store chains as a horticultural consultant, or something like that.

I have many unusual plants that came from Conways, and I would love to go there again. If anyone has any information on this nursery, I'd love to get an update.

o

Yes, the end of Conway's was horrible, horrible. I think I could find out more information--my mother lives in Tiverton and gives piano lessons to the owner's son--but, as I understand it, it was a combination of the owner's consulting business and the fact that reliable and knowledgeable nursery staff proved hard to come by.

Peckham's, in Little Compton, bought some of Conway's stock. They had it for sale last year. It's not quite the same, as you can't see those gorgeous display gardens and all the unusual pets at Conway's, but at least some of the rarities are still available.

Amanda

o
More on Conway's

Forgot: The owner (WHAT is his name? Tim?) was looking for a nursery manager for about a year (and I was soooooo tempted. But I know, from previous nursery experience, that that's not a good line of work for me). DiggingTheDirt, if you want to move down there and manage the nursery, maybe you could get him to reopen...

Amanda

o

Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 12:53

sedum,

The garden admission was $6 a person last year. I went in mid-summer and wished I'd gone in late spring instead. A lot of the flowers were past bloom, though overall the area is quite nice. Also, the mosquitos were awful. If you visit in late May through mid-June it should be really beautiful and not as buggy yet. Bring insect spray or DEET just in case.

My honest reaction is that the gardens are nice but not spectacular, but that could very much be because I went late in the season. They have a dramatic grotto of stones and a waterfall that were worth seeing, and a formal parterre garden near the house that is nice any season. It's a nice stroll, as well.

o

Re Newbury Perennial Gardens: It is a very nice nursery and I have shopped there for years but I do have a big problem with a commercial nursery charging to see its display gardens, which are, after all, a selling tool. It's sort of like the movies showing commercials after you've paid too much for the movie and way too much for the Coke and popcorn. It always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and I have never, not once, plunked down the $ to tour the gardens, tho I have spent hundreds, even thousands, to go on garden tours. Some sort of Yankee notion, I guess.

o

• Posted by bmchan z5 central MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 20:51

Bigelows in Shrewsbury/Northboro is very nice. Fiske's didn't open last year (or maybe it was two years ago). Big, Bad, Box stores got to them combined with the high value of their real estate. The land was worth more as McMansions I guess. Shrewsbury Nursery on Rte 9 is worth a look.

o

Peckham's in Little Compton RI
(for above-mentioned reasons)

Freirich's Farm in Warren RI
(VERY well priced 4-packs of all basic perennials and then some; but not a nursery focused on rare specialties... although there are always surprises. also wonderful animals--peacocks, goats, bunnies, piggies--so the kids have fun)

Conways...I'm so disappointed. Last year Sean Conway was saying that the nursery was closed for the year for "renovations", leading me to hope it would open this year. Oh well...

o

Carolan, that sounds hopeful (about Conway's). I'll try to elicit more information from my mother next time I talk with her.

2 more for MA:

Russo's in Watertown, MA
This is a wonderful produce/ Italian/ Chinese/ international specialty store minus the specialty store prices. During the growing season, they also have very reasonably priced annuals, perennials, vegetables and, sometimes, a few small shrubs. Most of what they sell is locally grown.

Wilson Farm Lexington, MA
Like Russo's, but with less of an international focus and at twice the price.

My favorite, though, is Russell's in Wayland, MA.

Amanda

o

I second Lake Street Garden Center, Salem, NH. Great place

Mason Hollow Nursery, Mason, NH
masonhollow.com
47 Scripps lane, Mason, NH 03048 603-878-4347

Grest hosta selection

o

I've bought some great plants at Tranquil Lake Nursery in Rehoboth, MA. (esp. daylilies)

They also sponsor some great events/lectures.

o

Andrew's in Amherst is a big favorite...It is about 2 1/2 hours away so I only go a couple of times a year...always combined it with a trip to Blue Meadow Farm in Montague, but they closed this year. Has anyone heard why?
I was at Peckham's last Sunday and Sean Conway was there buying plants! I wanted to tell him I missed his gardens but not his exorbitant prices. I think the store he's associated with now is Target.

o

Hi Sedum..This is a great website, I just found it!...On Cape Cod where I live, I like Mahoneys in Falmouth, Country Gardens in hyannis and Snows in Orleans. My very favorite is Crocker Nurseries in Brewster... They have very big, hardy plants with always lots of blooms, even for first year Peonies and Hollyhocks (my namesake)...Finicky delphiniums do very well from there..Most periennials are grown onsite and are hardened on location, not shipped from elsewhere..They can be a little more expensive than some but are worth it...

o

Spring Ledge Farm, 220 Main Street, New London, NH
603-526-6253
www.springledgefarm.com
shrubs, perennials, annuals, farm stand

Black Forest Nursery, Rte 3, Boscawen, NH
603-746-2756 (9am-7pm daily)
trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals

Uncanoonuc Mountain Perennials, 452 Mountain Road, Goffstown, NH
603-497-3975 (9am-5pm, Wed-Sun)
perennials, roses, shrubs, flowering vines, herbs, berry bushes, display gardens

Perennials from Susan, 58 Seaverns Bridge Road, Amherst, NH
603-424-2300
perennials, display garden

Variegated Foliage Nursery, 245 Westford Rd, Eastford, CT
860-974-3951

and another vote for Mason Hollow (9am-5pm Thurs-Sat, 12pm-5pm Sun). In addition to hosta, they have ferns, ornamental grasses and conifers.

o

Russell's in Wayland is tops on my list. I could, and do, spend hours there every week.

Nobody has mentioned River's Edge in Framingham. On the smaller side but a decent selection of plants and shrubs. Especially good for starter perennials.

Personally I don't see the attraction to Mahoney's. I always leave there with nothing. Prices are a bit high for me.

o

For Southern RI:

Farmer's Daughter, 716 Mooreshead Rd (Rte 138), Wakefield, RI...#1 on my list. Good prices, healthy stock with lots of variety, interesting annuals.

Rose Shack, 2362 Tower Hill Rd, Saunderstown, RI ... large roadside stand with good prices and selection

Scenic Gardens, 4909 Old Post Rd, Charlestown, RI... big selection of roses

When in Boston, I shop at Russell's. But the prices are pretty high, so I just go there for their selection of clematis and english roses.

And I agree with Molliesmom, Mahoney's leaves me cold. Lesser quality for more money.

o

I second McCues in Woburn.

Mahoney's leaves me both hot and cold. Last year, they had a great selection of hanging baskets for 9.99 which included hanging geraniums and double impatiens. The quality of them seemed more like their hanging baskets in the 29.99 price range. I ended up buying 6 of them and they lasted beautifully until the frost killed them.

I guess one now also has to factor the price of Gas in prices if you are travelling any distance.

I just saw the owner of Blanchette's speak and give a fantastic slide show on perennials at the Medford Public Library last week. He came across as extremely knowledgeable and personable! I definately will be going out to Carlisle in May or June to visit Blanchettes and Seawright.

o

Thanks to all for posting!

mamasalvo - thanks for the suggestion of Cupp & Cup. I'll be sure to check it out.

Capecodder - I saw on another post that Blue Meadow Farm is being sold. If you go to their web site the owners say that they want to do something else. They are having a closing sale you may want to check out.

Ginny12 - Regarding Newbury Perennial Gardens - I'm with you! I was surprised that they charged admissions. The website used to say that they charge a 'nominal admission charge' to view the gardens. To me nominal would mean $1 - $3 not the $6 charge which could potentially use to buy another plant!

Molliesmom, Suze_M, JohnMur - I don't get to Mahoney's that often but thought I'd put it on the list for others to try. My mother gets her hanging baskets there each year (funny you mentioned those JohnMur) and they always look so heathly and do well for her. The last time I was there I found some unusual plants for my rock garden. Since it is not close to where I live now if I'm in the area it is worth popping in but usually not worth the 50 minute drive from my home.

JohnMur - I've also heard Leo of Blanchette's speak and I agree he is very good. I went to a plant propagation workshop he had that had a lot of tips. So study the plant list on the web site before you go as the row after row of plants could overwhelm you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Meadow Farm Closing

o

Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 10:30

I definitely will not pay again to go through Newbury Perennial's gardens. The $6 price surprised me, but I had wanted to see it for a while and gave in to curiosity. From now on I'll spend it on plants.

o

Just have to mention Cady's Falls Nursery in Morrisville, VT (next town over from Stowe). It is an absolutely wonderful garden to visit - beautiful rock gardens, and evergreens, shade plants, peonies, including a big stand of the Himilayan blue poppies. They have a great many unusual plants for sale, including many, many alpines and rock garden plants. All are very hardy, and the people who own it are very knowledgeable. If you are in the area, go visit - you won't regret it.

o

Has to be Schartner's farm for me.
Route 2 Exeter, RI

They have something for everyone.
Pru

o

Woodland Gardens, 168 Woodland St., Manchester, CT
Nursery on Oakland St, Manchester, CT (can't remember the name, sorry)
Salem gardens, Salem, CT
Are 3 of my favorite places in CT

o

Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 16:06

reball,
Last time we had this type of thread, someone else mentioned Cady's Falls after they saw my name. :^)

o

I really like Bigelow's, in Northborough MA.

o

Must admit, I enjoy White Flower Farm whenever I get there - every couple of years. I know it's got its flaws, but it's fun anyway. There's usually something there that I've been coveting ... and the grounds are really lovely.

o

I like Wards Nursery in Great Barrington. He has a website. He has everything you could possibly need. Annuals, perennials, roses, shrubs, trees, mulch etc. They also have a large selection of gardening tools, ornaments, some great hammocks and gardening clothing etc.

Anton Nursery on Route 202 in Southwick Center is a relatively new nursery. It has been around about 4 years. He has a large selection of unusual trees, shrubs and ornamental grasses that many places never seem to have. Last year they started with water plants for ponds. They usually stock the normal perennials and annuals nothing spectacular. Most of the focus of this place is on landscaping plants.

I also like Cecci's in Feeding Hills. They have a lot of perennials and roses and clematis. Plants are always good sized and healthy looking no matter what time of year. He has has a large stock of vegetable starts as well.

o

I love this garden shop: It's a little pricey but it's one-man owned and operated and the love shows. Everything is established and healthy and beautiful. I go there even when I'm dead broke, just to walk around, it's so lovely.

Green Art
Rte 1(N) Bypass, Portsmouth NH
www.greenart.com
603-436-3727

o

I agree with Farmer's Daughter (716 Mooreshead Rd (Rte 138), Wakefield, RI)..especially for annuals. Good selection of unusual annuals, and it's great for container garden inspiration..someone does a wonderful job making up pots. They also have a good selection of perennials and trees.

I also agree with Rose Shack (2362 Tower Hill Rd, Saunderstown, RI) It's my #1 fav. for big, healthy perennials. I buy most of my perennial plants here.

I sometimes also make the trip to Chaves..935 E Main Rd, Middletown, RI (if it's more than 15 minutes it's too fah for a Rhode Islander).. Great selection..tons of clematis, roses, & some unusal things such as woodland plants.

If I'm going to Middletown anyway, The Potting Shed (711 Union St Portsmouth, RI) is worth going on to visit and wins the award for the coolest nursery. It has winding paths to multiple greenhouses, great stonework, a huge mature wisteria, a beautiful pond, gift items, and just lots of surprises. My only complaint is the prices..

And..Schartner's Farm (Route 2, Exeter, RI) has a super selection..it's particularly great for shrubs & trees, vegetable & herb starts, hanging plants, and strawberry-rhubarb pie. :)

o

I also frequent Salem Country Gardens in Salem, CT, mentioned by another poster on this thread.

Add:
Acer Gardens
447 Winthrop Rd., Deep River, CT 06417
860-526-9056
Great little nursery tucked behind a house in Deep River. Good selection of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, some roses. Reasonable prices, very healthy plants, friendly staff, and it's a nice drive in the country to get there. Definitely worth a visit.

o

Jo, I just went to Acer Gardens this past weekend. It was a neat place. At the plant swap I was going to ask you if you had ever heard of it or been there. If you hadn't I would have recommended a visit.

Sue

o

Ok. Two more places I like to check out if I'm in the area.

1) ARENA FARMS
Rt 2. Concord, MA 01742
-Veg plants, perennials, farm stand products

2) JONES FARM
Rt 27 Chelmsford, MA
-Containers, selection of herbs, unusual annuals, Christmas trees

Has anyone visited Stonegate Gardens in Lincoln, MA? Victory Garden mentioned this nursery on one of its episodes.

Also I found this link for nurseries in Massachusetts.

Here is a link that might be useful: MA Flower Growers Assoc Link

o

Forgot about Bigalows. I think the best selection and prices for Grasses.

o

Stonegate in Lincoln is nice, but not a destination nursery.

o

Back to Sylvan Nursery for a moment. It makes a nice day trip, because it's in a beautiful area. Right down the street is a good local vineyard - they have tours. Just don't drink too much wine before you hit Sylvan, at least if you're prone to CHAD.

They have a great selection of plants, but they have trouble keeping track of what's in stock. You really can't trust the answers you get on the phone or on their website, you have to go in person. Contractor's discount is applied if you have a letterhead, I believe.

Take a big truck, or at least a minivan. Last time I went I was looking for something unusual with a specific bloom time, to commemorate an event for some friends. They had nothing that fit the bill and I had to go to Haskells to find something that worked for this event. I would probably have done better at a local nursery - but I don't fault Sylvan for that.

o

Well, I am getting a chuckle at all the people from the GardenWeb site that are cruising around the garden centers I go to. LOL Next time I go to Russell's or Mahoney's or McCue's in Woburn, or Weston Nurseries I am going to find myself checking out all my fellow shoppers and wondering if they are GW folks. [g]

Mahoneys Winchester MA
Hot and cold. Sometimes they have better prices on shrubs and smaller sizes that I am looking for then other places. Sometimes just the opposite. Perennials are expensive and I don't buy too often there. Good selection though.

Russell's has a convenient layout. Easy to get around without walking your legs off. Good selections of items like tools, bamboo stakes, pots etc. Prices are high. Sometimes REALLY high. Last year I was shocked when I wanted some heliotrope. All they had were larger than usual sixpacks and the price was $$16.95 or thereabouts!!

McCues used to be my favorite place to get perennials because they would have an annual sale of 10 for $20. Since they put up a new plastic greenhouse and redid the parking lot, their prices are as high as everyone elses.

Adam

o

The Potting Shed in Portsmith, RI is stunning. It's like being on vacation. I wonder what they would do if I tried to stay there for a few days? It's too bad it's so far from me. I only get one trip per year.
Sylan's is closer and it's also a nice nursery.
Avant Gardens is my fave. It's closest to me, has incredibly interesting plants and decent prices. One complaint: they don't open to the public until early May, and even then, they have very limited hours throughout the summer. They do a lot of online business.

o

Last Friday I was at the New England Wildflower Society gardens and nursery. They have doubled the size of the nursery since I last visited last year. The nursery is well stocked with native plants.

Here is a photo of the nursery:

New England Wildflower Society Nursery

Here is a photo of the propagating area (off limits to the public):

New England Wildflower Society Propagating Area

Oh and the gardens were beautiful! Here's a photo of the main pond area:

New England Wildflower Society Pond Area Spring 2005

Here is a link that might be useful: NEWFS Home Page

o

Well, I only know South Country RI nurseries, so...

#1 Schartner's Farms on Rt. 2, in Exeter RI for all the reasons anyone else has mentioned it- healthy plants, the people who work there know what they're talking about and are honest about what will and won't work

#2 The Farmer's Daughter on 138 in South Kingston RI, but I find them a little expensive

#3 Clarke's Farms Wakefield RI- good selection, and they carry Steppables, if you want them, and I don't think Schartner's or Farmer's Daughter do.

and
#4, the lady at the corner of Rt. 138 and Rt. 2 who sells perennials out of her yard at $3 a pop. She doesn't have a huge variety, but they're healthy, nice plants, and the ones I bought from her last year all came back strong and thriving. It just feels good to support 'one of our own'- a fanatical gardener who grows to grow more!

o

Thu, May 19, 05 at 10:45

Sedum,
Thanks for posting the photos. Now I have to make another journey to Garden in the Woods. lol
Last year I bought a Carolina jesamine and a lingonberry (cranberry) plant there. Both are doing really well. But seeing their spring bounty makes me drool...must resist another outbreak of CHAD. :)

o

Had to chime in for Vermont. My two favorites are Standing Stone Perennial Farm in So. Royalton and Countryman's Peony Farm in Northfield. Just learned that my other favorite - Little Siberia - has closed. These are all family businesses and lovingly run - and beautiful to visit!

Check out this link for many others to visit throughout the state.

Here is a link that might be useful: VT nurseries & display gardens

o

Today I went to visit a garden friend in Nashua, NH and she took me to this cool place in Hollis called The Mixed Border. We spent hours and lots of money. I crawl through alot of nurseries and this one is well worth checking out if you're in the area. The owners were real plant people. They have trees, shrubs and perennials-some unusual stuff.

I googled them and found a website. The link is below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mixed Border

o

Hart Farm - wonderful family owned Nursery - knowledgable, great service and terrific plants. Lower County Road, Dennisport

Crocker Nurseries - Rte 137, Brewster

The Cape Cod Lavendar Farm - off Rte 124, Harwich Center

New England Gardens - Depot Road/Rte 28, So. Harwich

Agway - Rte 134, So. Dennis and Orleans

Country Gardens - West Main Street, Hyannis

Snows Garden Center - Orleans

o

My list looks a lot like Nassongrad's, and includes
Spring Ledge Farm, in New London, NH
Black Forest Nursery, in Boscawen, NH
Uncanoonuc Mountain Perennials, in Goffstown, NH
Perennials from Susan, in Amherst, NH

I'd add Emma's Perennials in Hill, NH.
398 Boro Road
Hill, NH03243
Phone:(603)744-3805

She has quite a variety of perennials, some quite unusual ,a lovely (though not large last I was there) display garden, and if you get People, Places, and Plants magazine, she gives a 10% discount. The ride there is up a scenic, winding dirt road, so I'd call for directions or go with someone who has been before.

o

Schartner's Farm, route 2 in Exeter, RI

Al's Greenhouse, Scituate Ave (route 12) in hope, RI

Brigg's nursery, Kelly Blvd, N. Attleboro MA

o

• Posted by Claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 05 at 10:07

In the Plymouth, MA area I always start with Morrison's Home and Garden on Long Pond Road.

The People Places and Plants website describes them as

"Morrison's Home & Garden 90 Long Pond Rd., Plymouth 508-746-0970 Full-service garden center, knowledgeable UMass-trained staff, water gardening, statuary."

They also have a fair-sized bamboo section this year. I believe they do soil tests as well.

I shopped there twice this weekend and once a week ago: I was afraid of losing the window for good plants, while I'm waiting for the builder to finally grade the site and spread topsoil. The plants are sitting in a temporary greenhouse until the impending northeaster is past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morrison's Home and Garden

o

My faves: Weston Nurseries..(very knowledgeable folks--and they have enough of them).Garden in the Woods...Ditto on the Cady's Falls (near Stowe, VT) recommedation..Went last summer..beautiful grounds and great selection of heathers...For shrubs, there a place right off Rt 1 (northbound side) in Chastown RI, just down the road from the entrance to Ninegret Park..The had a great selection of shrubs, including some I've not seen elsewhere..I forget the name..

o

What a valuable thread! I'd like to print it out for future reference. Does anyone know how to print out a thread in a more compact form? When I've done this before, I put the printer on landscape format and the view on "smaller" but a lengthy thread still takes up way too much paper with lots of wasted white space. Any computer types out there with a better way? Cady?

o

Thanks to all who keep posting in this thead. We've got quite a list here of garden centers in New England. Check out the recent issue of People, Places Plants (Early Summer) Special 10 Year magazine edition that contains a comprehensive listing of garden centers and nurseries in New England.

Ginny12 this is what I do to save threads in a more compact format:

-Left click next to the 'Favorite Nurseries...' text at the very top of the thread.
-Hold the left mouse button down and highlight all the text in the thread sweeping your mouse cursor to the bottom of the thread. Don't highlight the advertizements or topmost frame header.
-In the browser, select Edit->Copy or Ctrl-C.
-Open Notepad and paste into notepad. Now you will have just the text. From notepad you can bring it into MS Word or other editor where you can change the font or print 2 pages per page. Note: If you try to go right to MS Word, the copy operation will save the graphics and web html layout.

o

Thank you, thank you, Sedum37!

o

Is there someplace in NH called something-or-other... by the side of the road...? It came up in discussion recently and I don't recall just what the person said.

I just went to Bigelows for the first time today. It was okay. I expected more and better based on some reviews. But, admittedly I am getting pickier about my plants.

Agree with Cataldo's in Littleton. That's kindof my default Garden Center when I need anything. Fair prices.

Cupp & Cupp in Littleton (2A) is good for trees and shrubs. They mostly supply wholesale, but have recently opened retail.

Uncanoonuc Mt Perennials in Goffstown NH- a bit of a drive for me, but the absolute best. mostly perennials (obviously), but tons of roses and shrubs too. Expensive.

Central Mass Garden Center, Rte 13 in Lunenburg is very good too. Large selections.

I've gone to Russell's in Wayland a few times this year too. Last time I was there was 20-30 years ago. I grew up near there. What a change! Great selections. High prices. Too far for me, which is probably a good thing :-)

o

Hey all! Great information, thanks!
I'm looking for someplace in RI or nearby MA (Seekonk, Attleboro) or CT (Putnam, Pomfret)that sells stuff besides plants. People in this forum are always recommending certain brands of fertilizers and fungicides, etc, -- but I can't find them at nurseries in my neighborhood. I struck out at Nature's Way and Jacavone in Johnston, RI. And forget Home Depot... don't get me started! Any suggestions?

o

Arcana Gardens and Greenhouses, Jericho, VT

Horsford's Nursery, Charlotte, VT

Gardenside Nurseries, Shelburne, VT

o

Someone upthread has already mentioned Salmon Falls Garden Center in Berwick, Maine, I found that one last year and love it.

Stonegate in Concord, MA has wonderful pots, and equally wonderful plants to put in them!

The Hillbilly on Old Oaken Bucket Road in Scituate is definitely worth the trip, it's messy, but Doug's got some really choice plants worth checking out.

I'm still lamenting the closing of Blue Meadow in Montague, MA. That's going to be hard to replace! :(

o

Mahoney's- Winchester ma. exc, vast selection of perennials
best to buy early in the season. a great deal of their stock comes from sunny border in ct. so they have a lot of the latest introductions, including the 'blooms of bressingham' intros. the brilliant head of perennials the last few yrs- was hired away by sunny border last yr. but they still manage to have a lot of exc. stuff. also shrubs, conifers, jap maples.

Katsura Gardens, Plymouth Ma. Trees and shrubs; many unusual
cutting-edge plants(i.e. acer negundo 'winter lightning',
chaemy.lawsoniana Columnaris) VERY knowledgable owner,john.

Stonegate Gardens, Lincoln Ma. jap maples, conifers,woody plants.Rick is the head guy.

Russell's,Wayland ma. unusually broad variety of tropicals
(i.e. many brugmansias and cannas and passion flowers),perennials and woodland plants.

Sylvan's, So.Dartmouth Ma. v. lg. selection of woody plants(one of few places for vitex agnus castus and comptonia)

Perennials by Susan, Amherst NH. Susan very knowledgable, beautiful display beds, many field-grown plants.

Rocky Dale, Bristol VT. original owners recently gone but WONDERFUL stunningly landscaped grounds of borders combining conifers, trees, shrubs, perennials.

Cady's Falls, Morrisville VT. particularly memorable stone walls with lovely plantings; lots of interesting conifers.

Lake St. Nursery, Salem NH; noteworthy for huge clematis selection.

o

Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 10:34

Ginny12 wrote: ,i>What a valuable thread! I'd like to print it out for future reference. Does anyone know how to print out a thread in a more compact form? When I've done this before, I put the printer on landscape format and the view on "smaller" but a lengthy thread still takes up way too much paper with lots of wasted white space. Any computer types out there with a better way? Cady?

Best way to save this is to copy and paste the whole thing into a Word document and save it. Then print a copy for extra measure in case (heaven forbid) your computer crashes someday. :)

o

Longacre's Nursery in Lebanon, NH.
Closed Sundays.

Bay State Perennial Farm, Rte 5, Whately, MA.

Tripple Brook Farm, Southampton, MA. Great bamboo. This is really different.

o

Thanks, Cady!

o

Wow, arbo_retum, you apparently get around! Some of those nurseries are near me (ie the one in Plymouth) so I'll have to check it out.

Re: saving threads. I think I'll cut and paste this one into a file, and turn it into a plain list of nurseries and addresses, so I can keep it in my car for those days when I'm driving past a town and thinking "I bet there are some great nurseries here."

o

Arbo-
Sylvan's is actually Westport, Ma, which is very close to So. Dartmouth. Awesome nursery.

o

Re: saving... I started a word document table earlier this season to help me keep track of all my local favorites. Now I can just add a "rating" column for GW recommendations :-)

o

Wow! So many places I have not been yet!

I want to mention a great local Garden Center
Country Brook Farms,
on Lowell Rd. Hudson, NH -(right on the Mass border)
(running to look up the phone number, back in a minute)
603-886-5200
This place has a HUGE selection of annuals, perennials, trees and shrubs, 2 story barn FULL of gift items!
my 2nd choice already mentioned Lake Street Gardens in Salem, NH

o

In southeastern Vermont:

Off exit 3 on I-91:
1. Walker Farm, Dummerston, VT: great selection of perennials, unusual
annuals, trees & shrubs, organic vegetables, organic farmstand. Nice
website( see below).

2. Brattleboro Agway: large variety of perennials, along with the usual
stuff. The plantswoman at this Agway really knows her stuff and takes
great care of the plants - definitely a cut above other Agways, more like
a specialty nursery.

Off exit 5 on I-91, Westminster VT:
3. Allen Brothers gas station/store/farmstand/ice-cream stand and now
garden center. Greatly expanded their garden center this year; the plants are pretty
conventional, but in nice shape and most at very good prices. Be sure to
try some of the locally-baked pies that they sell in the store (by the
piece, if you want)

1/2 mile up Rt. 5:
4. Harlows Organic Farm Stand usual and some unusual plants, pricey, but
they have great seasonal displays, have a nice caf, and sell good organic
produce (one of the suppliers for Whole Foods Markets)

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Farm

o

I've gotten lost in the volume of responses. Is someone actually compiling a list that can we can print? How wonderful that would be!

o

The Umbrella Factory ,in Charlestown RI, down the road from Ninigret park, they always have something different, although they're not that big, and I think their gardens there alone are worth the drive, big wild plants really exuberant! They also sell some pond plants.
Down the road from Salem Country Gardens is The Herb Farm, also in Salem CT, the owner, Ann is so nice and helpful, and she also usually has something unusual.She has an/per/and herbs as well. Next year I'm going to spring for a hanging basket, they are huge with great color combos.
I went on driving tour of NE CT nurseries a couple of years ago, and one of them was the Varigated Foliage in Eastford, and now I've been reminded to go back, Thanks!

Does anybody else have SE CT suggestions?

o

This is not a SE CT recommendation as requested, but, if you're willing to drive a little further, check out Cheshire, CT.......to be precise, drive the length of Rt. 10 in Cheshire and you'll see at least a half-dozen nurseries, most of which are pretty good.
My favorite is Tower Farms - massive greenhouses full of annuals at this time of year. Outside, they have a nice selection of shrubs and just about any perennial you might want. One of the sales people is very nice and full of information about plants (look for a petite, gray-haired lady) - I always enjoy talking to her. If you get on their mailing list, you'll receive coupons for 40% off at the end of the season. This is how I was able to afford some shrubs that I was coveting last year.
Just one minute down the road from them (going west)is another great nursery - Dietrich Gardens.
Does anyone else shop at the above-mentioned nurseries?
Marilyn

o

In the last 2 or 3 weeks have gotten the chance to check out some of the nurseries mentioned on this thread.

Russell's: lots of stuff, friendly staff, expensive. Would probably shop there if closer, but 1 hr. away from me.

The Mixed Border: Pretty drive through Hollis. Pretty country nursery (even chickens running around). Plants well organized according to botanical name. Extremely helpful, friendly staff.

Merritt Nursery (mentioned in the Hosta forum), So.Hampton:
Prices average to expensive. Nice country setting. Small and quiet, but a good selection. Best part--a great dairy bar right up the road! Yummy homemade ice cream.

Rolling Green Nursery-Huge place, huge selection, but expensive. It was fun to "window shop."

Lake Street Garden Center(Salem) & Churchill's(Exeter) are 2 I have frequented over the years. I like both, but they are expensive. Churchill's is very attractively landscaped and I love to stroll around. Church. is also extremely kid friendly. They have a large playground and have recently added some farm animals. One time I was there with my tot and a staff member approached us and asked my son if he would like to help feed the fish in the pond.

Wentworth Greenhouses (Dover): This is my new favorite nursery! I checked it out yesterday and the 40 min. drive was worth it. They had the healthiest plants I have seen anywhere so far AND great prices!! Very friendly, laid-back staff. Great selection. I got 8 lucious, healthy plants for $40 - 3 qt. size perenials, 4 6" pots annuals, and 2 4" pots stonecrop. They are also going to try and get a particular lilac for me.

o

Hollandia Nurseries & Gardens
103 Old Hawleyville Rd
Bethel, CT 06801-3039
Connecticutgrown.com

Big selection, knowledgeable staff, cute gift shop.
Has 2 locations, near each other, this one is the original.

o

Wendy, HOuse by the Side of the Road is on Rt. 101 between Wilton and Peterborough NH.

Love Uncanoonuc on Mountain Rd. in Goffstown, NH. Great selection of very healthy hardy plants. They print out a sheet with cultural information on all your purchases. Great and helpful staff.

Deanne

o

Marilyn, I discovered Tower Farms in Cheshire this year. It was recommended by an employee at Broken Arrow so we stopped on the way home one day. They did have a nice selection of large, healthy plants. Worth a another trip for sure.

Sue

o

Has anyone ever been to Plant Quarters in Plympton MA? I just stopped down there last weekend with my mom and WOW, what a selection of Hostas!! I think they have daylilies as well but didn't check them out. The proprietor, Suzanne i think, was very helpful and knowledgeable. She even has a couple of hosta registrations (Firefighter's Angel and Awesome Illusion.) The prices were steep (10$ for a mini hosta) but they were very healthy and the selection is worth the price!! Check out some pictures I took and my purchases (click on link then click "view without signing in")

Here is a link that might be useful: jen's hosta purchases from plant quarters

o

One of my favorite garden centers is a family owned and run place in Carlisle, MA called Rainbow Mums (also Phillippo's Greenhouses) owned by Mark and Kathy Phillippo.

They are very unique in that they are only open from mid-July through mid October and that they specialize in mid to late blooming perennials and shrubs, grasses, fall mums and asters.

He grows everything himself and everything is very high quality, no pesticides, uses only ladybugs..... They have been in business for over 20 years are are very passionate about their product. Ask a question of Mark, and you will get an education!

His property is gorgeous, the ride is beautiful, and there's ice cream nearby. Actually, this is also near Seawright's and Blanchette's, so you could do all three in one loop.

The address is 305 East Street, Carlisle.

Phone# is 1-800-677-MUMS.

They don't have a website yet, but are working on it. You can call for directions.

This place is really a hidden gem.... At a time of the summer when other garden nurseries plantings are scarce or looking pretty sad, Mark is just gearing up with healthy, blooming plants.

If you go, mention Cindy sent you. I just might be there myself. And I'll want to know what you think so post your experience on this thread.....

o

P.S. Important!!!

I forget to mention, Phillippo's Greenhouses takes cash or check only. No credit cards. Perennials and shrubs are all one price $11.90 for a 2 gallon container. Yes and they are HUGE! Mums will range in price from $4.50 for small pots to $29.95 for large hangars and different sizes in between.
If you forget, there is an ATM nearby.

o

Hi,

I was wondering if any of the nurseries on this thread might have a good fall display of perennials and shrubs that anyone might be aware of? I didn't have time to read the whole thread, so if I missed something, I'm sorry in advance. [g] I will go back and read the whole thing if that information is in there.

Adam

o

I was just reviewing this thread. There are so many names to choose from which is great. I wonder though if we could narrow it down to the top 5 or top 10 in New England? We could start by everyone offering the name of the ONE, just ONE nursery they would go to if they could only go to one.

Adam

o

Southern VT:

1. Equinox Valley Nursery - Manchester
2. Olallie Daylily Nurseries - S. Newfane
3. Mettowee Mill Nursery - Dorset

o

Have to second McCues in Woburn MA. Bought a summer chocolate mimosa a few weeks back..it's not doing so well (most of the branches dropped right off like a day after i planted it, probably shock). Mentioned it to a staff member and she GAVE me another one to try. Very excellent of her and I hope the second one will do better in a different spot in my yard.

o

Hi Jen,

I just took a look at your photos of the hostas you just bought..really nice, and I am not the biggest hosta fan. I am looking for a couple though and really liked the Fire and Ice. One I tried this year, was Hosta Guacamole..it is supposed to be fragrant too, although it didn't bloom this year.

Adam

o

So where is everyone??? No one's posting this time of year? I guess everyone thinks there aren't any decent nurseries out there this time of year. I posted about Rainbow Mums weeks ago and I'm surprised no one has followed up. Been there again recently and they still have a great selection and it all looks fresh and healthy.

I'm going to Tower Hill Botanical Plant Sale tomorrow, 9/10 in Boxborough. First time I will have been there. I'll post and let you know how I made out in the next few days.

o

If you have any other garden center suggestions, please post in this thread soon. I am going to take a copy of this thread and try to put it in a form people could download and refer to easily.

o

What a great thread!!

1. Ladd's Garden Center, Route 32 Windham, Connecticut www.laddsgardencenter.com Website isn't recently updated but contact info is good. They have everything, and I mean everything (including a water garden area unlike any I've seen). Looks like nothing from the road but go down the hill in back and plan to spend a few hours.

2. Dondero Brothers Landscaping and Nursery, Pinney Street, Ellington, Connecticut. New place that knows plants. It's where I found my Chionanthus retusus.

3. Have to 2nd (or 3rd) Garden Sales on Route 83 (Oakland St) in Manchester, Connecticut. A shack by the road gives way to hostas, roses, more hostas, unusual pers and herbs.

4. Windham Gardens, Enfield, Connecticut. Only open in Spring and Fall (e-mail me for directions -- I'll meet you!!). Healthy $1 perennial starts, hanging baskets for $12 that are huge and still blooming, single-mom owner who knows her stuff.

So many more, but these are where I go when I've gotta "get it done."

Martie

o

Just go to Allen Haskell's in New Bedford-Hard to find & expensive but it is much better than any other. A visit is truly an awesome experience.

o

Dwightri--Good for you for bringing this back up. And at the best time of year. I will add Rogers Spring Hill in Haverhill MA, on the North Andover/Haverhill line. It is a longtime, full-service nursery, with perennials, shrubs, trees, some annuals and nursery supplies. It is certainly the best in this general area, tho I wouldn't drive a long distance for it. But I have found things there no one else had--like the lilac, Syringa x 'Aessissippi'.

o

Hmm, with all the NH folks running up and down Rt 89, 202, and 114, I'm kind of suprised that no one has mentioned Stone Falls Gardens in Henniker. they also give the 10% PPP discount

Here is a link that might be useful: stone falls garden

o

Add to the list...

Quakin' Grass Nursery in Brooklyn, CT. Unusual stuff-lots of conifers and woodies, large display garden. It's off the beaten path but not far from Logees. Worth the trip.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Quakin' Grass Nursery

o

Cochato Native Plant Nursery
373 North Franklin Street
Holbrook, MA
phone: 781.767.9770

gazing over cochato's vast array of hosta (over 300 varieties), my long-nursed disdain for those misbegotten lumps of suburban organic matter lessened somewhat. still wouldn't allow one in my yard, but found it a moving sight, nonetheless.

seriously, though, cochato's a fantastic smallish nursery run by knowledgable plantspeople, specializing in uncommon shade & water garden perennials.

their website appears to be down, but, if memory serves, they generally open on memorial day.

o

We don't get out that way much, but I like the one in Peterboro. Not sure what the name of it is, though. It's on the corner by a red country store.

And I'm very fond of several home-owner stands on my drive home from work (whichever way I go). There are a number of homeowners that sell stuff at their houses for cheap.

o

Please do not post here any more. I have started another thread. Please post in the new thread below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Nurseries (2006) - New Thread

o
RE: Nursery that sells BIG Trees

Any recommendations of nurseries that sell larger trees?

We are looking for trees that are like 8' to 10' already. Like some Waldorf Pines (I think that is the name) and perhaps other similar.

A.J. Tomasi in Pembroke is the only one we could find so far in Southern MA.

o

Lighthouse: You may want to repost your question as a new message. I don't know the answer to your question, and am afraid not to many people will see it here at the bottom of this thread. Asarum

o

Thank you asarum. Took your advice. Good point.

o

Kane's Flower World in Danvers, MA, route 114
Favorite because it's got GREAT prices, interesting selection of plants for indoors and outdoors, great prices, great prices, funny name.

o

For S.E. MA my favorites are:

Tranquil Lake in Rehoboth, tranquil-lake.com Specialize in Iris & Daylily (huge fields of them) and other perennials. Great festivals, workshops etc.

7 Arrows in Attleboro. Their specialty is shade plants, hostas, herbs etc. They have a tea room, spices, classes, dogs, cats and fowl that roam the gardens and a very charming, holistic ambience.

Araujo Farms in Dighton is my one stop shopping for annuals from veggies to flowers. They have a ridiculous amount of plants in several greenhouses.

The Bloomin Barn in Swansea, thebloominbarn.com, is a cute little place that has a nice variety of annuals & perennials. Also a folksy shop attached with primitives, metal garden sculptures...

o

For the Plymouth area, my favorite is a little hard to find, but worth it for a small garden center. It's Plymouth Gardens on Summer St. They have a nice selection of annuals and perennials, some of them hard to find. I love their heucheras!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plymouth Gardens

o

Okay, I like Avant in Dartmouth, MA, and of course someone mentioned NEWFS, BUT I am working at Russell's Garden Center in Wayland for the season, so they are number one.

o

Has anyone changed their opinion on any of these garden centers since this was last posted? Any new ones to add?

pm2

o

I have some more South East Mass. nurseries:

Blueview Nursery in Norton. A contract nursery with good specimen quality plants. Horses and ducks to enterain the kids.

Sylvan Nursery in by Horseneck Beach (south of Fall River). Worth the drive.

RF Morse Nursery in Wareham. Good end of season specials... got Hellebores quart sized for 2.00.

Boston Tropical in Plainville (aka half price plants on their sign). This is like an factory outlet store for plants. Some of the contract nursery tags say irregular, and they are not always specimen quality shaped. But for a naturalistic setting, they will grow just fine.

On the 495 loop; Westons Nursery, developers of many of my favorite Rhodies!!.

Bigelows Nursery in Northboro. Great plant selections and fields covering the hills.

o

I think Weston Nurseries is very reputable and have been around for many years. They offer quality material and have introduced many Rhododendrons. They are pretty expensive though and the last two times I went for a sale...of 20% off, I came home with nothing. :-( Just a little too expensive for me. I think probably their pallet sales would be a great way to do it though. I am waiting to see if any of the nurseries will have a 50% off sale after November 1st. So far I haven't seen one.

pm2

o

interesting seeing how many folks we haven't heard from in a very long time. I guess we've discussed that already, haven't we?
marie

o

Rainbow Mums and Perennials

Carlisle, MA 01741
(800) 677-6867
www.rainbowmums.com

This place is amazing!! perennials, hostas and all types of grasses - they used to open mid-July but are opening May 30th this year -

o

Bay State Perennial Farm Whately, MA

36 State Road (Routes 5 & 10)

Phone: (413) 665-3525 www.baystateperennial.com

Bay State staff are kind, plants are healthy and diverse.
Lovely, lovely place.

Here is a link that might be useful: baystate perennial farm

o

We've lost 3 nurseries in the Falmouth area, including 2 of my favorites. Luckily Ponscapes on Rt 28a in Bourne is still there, and Flower Garden Farm on Sandwich Road, Falmouth is going strong (I just picked up some solid gold hakone grass, gartenmeister fuscia and an assortment of tender perrennials there).

o

We lost two in Lexington: Doran's which had been in that family for 200 years and Lexington Gardens the home of the original Victory Garden with Jim Crockett. I can't believe I can'g just stop by after work or on Sunday morning and get my pansies and supplies there. Still, it will not drive me to Home Depot. I'll just drive a little more and spend a few cents more at Wagon Wheel in Lexington, Blanchette's and whatever locals I can ferret out.

Marie

o

• Posted by sue36 Z5 Maine (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 20:15

My favorite local perennials nursery is Rolling Green in Greenland, NH. Their selection is HUGE.

For trees and shrubs you can't beat Stratham Circle Nursery in Stratham, NH.

o

In northern NE, my favorite for perennials (and annuals) is Equinox Valley Nursery in Manchester, Vermont. I've never bought anything from them that did not thrive, and they have nearly every variety and colour of all my perennial favorites. It is like taking a gar*den tour to visit them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Equinox Valley Nursery

o

After perusing most of this thread, I realized it started in 2005!
The local places I frequent are:
Rolling green Nursery in Greenland
Churchills in Exeter - expensive, but I love their displays
Lake Street Garden Center in Salem
I used to travel for work up 101 and came across several garden centers that I loved, but can't think of the names of them right now.
I'll be sure to check out some of the places mentioned here in Southern ME and NH.
Tara

o

My favorite nurseries tend to be the ones at botanical gardens, because they often sell specialist plant species. The more unusual and rare the better in my opinion!

This thread is awesome and very inspirational. I think a lot of the information contained within it is timeless and priceless. I have been offered a managerial position at a very small nursery in my hometown which has been struggling ever since it first opened about 6 or 7 years ago. The management has changed hands at least 3 times since then. It has a lot of old, pretty unsaleable stock in my opinion, which I intend to donate to local community based projects if I do take over the reigns.
While I've never actually managed a nursery/garden center before I have worked in retail in the green industry with about 5 years experience under my belt.
My only reservation is that this town is very small so the only way I'll make a success of this business is by creating a good name and reputation for sound and knowledgeable advice and service. I am passionate about plants which most people pick up very quickly upon talking to me. I'm almost fluent in botanical Latin and Greek, which helps me a lot. I spend a lot of my free time propagating native plants with which I would intend to supplement the wholesale orders I'd acquire for my stock.
If anyone knows the names of any must have books on how to start and/or run a plant nursery please feel free to share the titles with me.
Alex

o

Seems like a difficult business to be in some days. :-) I did a quick search on amazon and came up with this link and another at the bottom of my post.

http://www.amazon.com/Operate-Financially-Successful-Landscaping-Business/dp/1601382286/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1279400638&sr=1-1-fkmr2

I would say find a business that is successful and see if you can pick their brain. We seem to be seeing a lot of nurseries going out of business, isn't that true? I would think it's expensive especially if you have to keep greenhouses going. I know Lexington Gardens went out of business a few years ago, and you could see it coming for quite a few years. I was told by someone in management that the cost of fuel to run the greenhouse became outrageous. I know the owner was older and started to have health issues too.

As a potential customer, I like that you are inclined toward natives and would love an organic direction as well. I travel a distance to make purchases that are in line with those two basic ideas. I drive 50mins to the NEWFS to buy native, mostly organically grown plant material. I drive the same distance to purchase organic vegetable starts in the spring, in years I don't start my own. I travel to Maine and combine a day trip to justify doing it, to purchase popular perennial and annual 'plugs' once a year in early spring, because so many nurseries that are close to me don't offer a plug size and have just about stopped offering the old '6 pack' size. I buy tiny shrubs from Bluestone Perennials because no one local offers that size and it makes it really affordable. I think a lot of people buy from them because of that and their frequent sales and great customer service.

I was going to suggest that if you could model your business on one that didn't need heated greenhouses, you might be ahead of the game. Don't know if that is possible. It would certainly cut your costs, but limit what you offer.

Anyway, maybe others can offer their own reasons why they shop at one place or another and what they are looking for in a nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: So you want to start a plant nursery

o

I know this is an older thread, but since my GW search only turned up 2 postings for Natureworks, I decided to post here. I was hoping to add my vote for NW as a favorite but alas it is not to be. I know today's economy (at mid-May 2011) is still a struggle for many, so it would seem reasonable to expect that a small local business would go the additional mile to court a new customer. Perhaps NW is not struggling in this economy. I tried for over 3 weeks to get them to contact me to discuss landscape design + planting, as well as use their spring cleanup service. An initial email reply to my inquiry via their website seemed promising since their reply was within 24 hours. However, that promise was short-lived. That initial email said they would send me info on prices and services. A week later, not having received anything, I telephoned them and was assured by the gal who answered my call that she would give my info to the person responsible for following up on such requests and that I would be contacted. It is going on 3 weeks and I have heard nothing from Natureworks. If this is the way they handle clients at the initial stage what would they be like providing services after purchasing?? It is interesting to get such poor customer service right off the bat. I was "retired" last June after dodging the corporate reorganization bullet several times so my finances are fairly restricted. I don't spend my money at businesses who don't appreciate my patronage. Needless to say I will not be revisiting this company again. Although perhaps this is a blessing in disguise: I stopped in at a local small garden center less than a week ago and am already well into discussion and planning for the work I need done. It turns out that the designer is also the owner, and that what on the surface appears to be a not-very-active business is much bigger than it seems. I know they do good work since I have for the last couple of years admired a house they landscaped that I pass by every day with my dog. They definitely fly under the radar.

o

There aren't too many nurseries in the Dedham to Attleboro area.

Briggs Nurseries on rte 152 Attleboro,,huge nursery with wonderful employees who are at your beckon call. Open year round

Lovells Nursery on Rte 109 In Medfield,MA. lovely family owned nursery with extensive selections.

Tree World on Rte 1 Plainville seasonal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here