Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noticklish

hiding daffodil leaves

noticklish
13 years ago

What is a good perennial for hiding the daffodil leaves over the summer ? I have had some success with hardy geranium since they are shallow rooted, bushy and most are non-invasive. The daffodils I have are in part shade.

Comments (9)

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

Still think interplanting daffodils with hemerocallis is the most "deceptive"
    method. . .the NY Botanical Garden has a long curving walkway interplanted
    with dozens of varieties of each plant (and, yes, I confess I "stole" the idea
    from them years ago!) and it is a joy to behold for months. The declining
    daffodil foliage (so similar to the daylily) seems to disappear as the developing
    daylily foliage emerges. . .

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Carl, I think you could be on to something there! I have seen a display in front of a bank in our area. They planted a long strip with tulips and daylilies and it always amazes me how effective it is. It looks great every time I go by there. I wish I liked daylilies. [g] I'm still looking for other plants that are good at disguising the dying foliage because I really love daffodils.

I am going to have to notice which arrangement works best for me this year. I have a Nepeta 'Walker's Low' in front of one grouping. Another grouping is interplanted with Echinacea and another in back of Verbascum and Aquilegia that I have high hopes for. We'll soon see.

• runktrun
    13 years ago

I know I picked this one up from someone here on the NE forum but the daffodil's that are not hidden by daylily foliage-thanks Carl, I quickly braid them up then fold the braid in half.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Plant behind peonies or other large perennials that will hide them. Plant at the feet of large floppy shrubs that as they leaf out will either cover or at the least distract from the dying foliage.

• tree_oracle
    13 years ago

Mine are hidden by Lupine foliage which gets tall and thick enough with their rather large fan-like leaves to hide the daffodil foliage quite effectively.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I was out in the garden this morning and noticed that I had some daffs behind a Nepeta Walker's Low and they were completely hidden behind it. The Nepeta is over a foot tall already.

Debra, I always thought hostas and daffodils want different conditions, so I never put them together. The areas where I've put any hostas are always too shady for the daffodils. Do you grow your hostas in more sun?

• dfaustclancy
    6 years ago

Eight years later..... LOL

Bulbs will grow and bloom almost anywhere, even in partial shade. My daffs were growing in a sunny area that became shady (around May) as the trees overhead sprouted leaves, making it a shady area for hosta. This worked for several years until the trees had to be removed. Now when the hosta arises it is in a sunny area and by mid summer those poor hosta look baked and spent. How different it is without the trees! I miss them dearly, but they had to go due to disease.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

I have so many trees in my neighbors yards, I'm almost wishing for one of them to come down in a storm. [g]. I'd love to suddenly find I had a sunnier spot in the yard. Even with one or two missing, I'd still have plenty of shade. I'd happily move plants into more shade and then have a new sunny bed to play with. :-)