Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting cold weather crops anyone?

Posted by auntiedonna2 z5MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 11:28

Hi folks, I am wondering if anyone has started planting cold weather crops outside? My husband is in his first year of retirement...The gardens are already tilled.
I planted, Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Beets, Carrots & Peas., firgure I will start with small rows and try to replant another batch in about 10 days. Our gardens are usually under snow or water this time of year. It will be interesting to see if these rows produce any faster than something planted later in the month.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting cold weather crops anyone?

I winter-sow, and I planted out my lettuce and beet seedlings a few days ago. This is my first year ever growing beets, so I wasn't sure if I planted too early, but I think they'll be okay. I got a late start on my peas, but they will be planted out as soon as they sprout.

I'm also trying eggplant for the first time. They sprouted yesterday, so they will be planted out probably next week some time.

:)
Dee

o

• Posted by gata z4 NH (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 19:38

I planted peas yesterday, along with some onion sets and onion plants (red). I was surprised to see onion plants at walmart.

o

I'm direct sowing everything mentioned above plus radishes; have some winter sown broccoli which will go out as soon as it's large enough to handle.

o

I've direct-seeded peas(4/1), broc, cabbbage, lettuce, onion, spinach and got so hopeful I even put in a row of corn, and a little okra. The raised beds were steaming, the sunshine was streaming, and I thought, what the hey. What if this spring continues warmer than usual, the garden will be ahead. If there's a bad frost, I'll just replant. The soil looks good enough to eat...

o

I've direct-seeded lettuce and spinach and they have all sprouted. My late husband used to plant peas every year on April 1st . If there was snow on the ground he would shovel it off. We always had plenty of peas for the 4th of July. I don't do that anymore as I hate to shell them.
I'll be interested to know how your eggplant survives, Dee . It would never survive this early in my garden but maybe it will in yours since you are in zone 6.

o

What is the best way to plant Onions???By Onions plants
or by Onion sets?? And what is the correct time to plant same in the great state of Massachusetts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here