Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in Dry Conditions

Posted by steve_mass 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 12:25

I've linked below to a blog article from Weston Nurseries. The map that accompanies the article is very interesting. It shows SE Mass and a good portion of CT in moderate drought, and most of the rest of New England in "unusually dry" conditions. They make recommendations for planting that are unusual for this time of year. As trees and shrubs are starting to be planted now, it is timely advice.

Weston Nurseries Blog

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in Dry Conditions

It really is unusually dry for this time of year here. I am working in my veggie garden doing prep, and usually it's unworkable now, either under snow, still frozen, or totally sodden.

o

This time last year I had to buy a pump and pump the water out of my cellar due to the heavy snow over winter followed by drenching rains in spring. The pump worked well but I had to stand there while it pumped which became tedius as the days and weeks passed. I tacked a shower curtain to the side of my garage and draped it over my sprouted winter sown containers to keep the rain off them.

Fast forward to 2012 and I'm busy again, this time bottom watering my sprouted winter sown containers that are drying out from the lack of snow and rain.

Steve - thanks for posting the link to that blog even if it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The map was helpful too.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 15:26

Not too dry here, but I'm not touching any of the mulch or doing any gardening until later in the season. Spring comes late here anyway, and I keep a thick layer of leaves/compost/pine needles all over to retain the winter's moisture.

There have been Red Flag Warnings for fire danger posted several times, when the wind has been very high combined with very low humidity. Forest fires we don't need.

Claire

o

Yeah the map is interesting, although the blog doesn't tell me anything I don't know either. It is very unusual for precipitation to be this low this time of year. Has me quite worried, but I'm a worry wart, so hopefully it won't be that bad.

I already have 250 feet of hose hooked up around the house and have been watering recent transplants, as well as anything that was planted or transplanted in the latter half of last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here