Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Hummingbird Spring Migration

I posted this Spring 2008 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds map on the Project FeederWatch thread, but I didn't realize it continues to update on the post here. I thought it might be of interest (and easy) for people to check to see if hummingbirds are in their area.

Claire

Comments (65)

• sooey
    16 years ago

Good info, Claire! I was wondering about the forsythia also. I had no idea about the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I'll have to watch for them...yet another bird I don't think I have ever noticed!

In checking the Hummer Migration Map for a few years past, '04-07, it would seem that they make their appieranceappear on the Cape during the second half of April with the 25th or 26th being the latest time recorded. According the the Weather Channel this is to be a very good week for the Cape and South Shore...lots of sun and daytime temps in the 50's. This could be our week!

sooey...
    who is feeling the need for yet another Hummingbird feeder in her yard...

• ellen_s
    16 years ago

They're in Rutland, they're in Rutland!! (that's very close to here). I have 2 feeders up but haven't seen one here yet. We did see some phoebes arguing about who is going to nest in the barn, and we have a pair of ducks who have spent the past 3 days in our pond, so life's starting to pick up out there!! We spread compost over our lawn last weekend, and the robins are really enjoying the buffet out there :-)

• sooey
    16 years ago

ellen_s, it sounds like you live in a wonderful, bird filled area. I'll bet you see some Hummers this week! Let us know... Enjoy!

sooey

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Would anyone know if there is hummers on block Island ? i havent been there before but I have a friend that just moved there...I would love to give her a feeder if they are.. I am anxiously waiting for the hummers also..I did just put up an oriole feeder also, going to add the jelly and oranges this week.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the map shows hummers in Maine, and the far north of VT, and the other map on the site shows them in Canada! But none here in South Plymouth.

The forsythia are blooming and so is the pussywillow tree, so I guess that's no indicator. I'm betting they'll show up when the azaleas bloom. The hummers love the Hino Crimson red-orange azalea.

Come on, little birds!

Claire

Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, and flwrs4ever, I was hoping someone knew about hummingbirds on Block Island. I don't. I tried searching, but didn't get any firm answer except that they do migrate through. Maybe you could contact the Block Island Times.

Claire

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

thanks Claire for your help ! I took the feeder to her, and it is set up, so i hope it wasnt a futile effort. and to think I dont have mine out yet...going to work on it tomorrow.

• sooey
    16 years ago

Hi Kids,

I just got home from a weekend away to green, green, green Baltimore! Holy Crap...is it ever GREEN! Redbuds & Dogwood in bloom, Tulips all aglow. Lots of folks out cutting their grass for the THIRD time! It was a breath of fresh air...

I came home to empty bird feeders but no evidence of any Hummers. I thought I would check the migration map this morning and for sure I would see Hummers on Cape Cod... No such luck. I guess we are all still waiting. Fresh juice is cooling on the kitchen counter, ready to refill the feeder. I'll be ready for them, when ever they arrive.

sooey
    still tapping her foot...waiting

• sooey
    16 years ago

OK, Kids...today is the day. I can feel it! Today is april 24th. I am going to go up to the slider at the deck, where the Hummingbird feeder is hung, and hang out until I see a Hummer. Hummers will be in Brewster TODAY! It HAS to be today!...I can feel it...

sooey

Original Author
    16 years ago

sooey - According to the map, there was a sighting on the Cape on April 23!

Otherwise, I hope you're prepared to send out for pizza for dinner, and breakfast, and lunch .....

Good luck,
    Claire

• sooey
    16 years ago

Crap...I was wrong. I guess that feeling I had was a bit of gas... No Hummers in Brewster yesterday. I sat in front of the slider for two hours. Got some knitting done on a pair of socks but, no Hummers!

I'll sit at the slider for a while again today. It IS the 25th! They should be here by the end of this weekend. If they only knew what special Hummer juice I make...fresh and tasty!

Claire, have you seen them as yet? Anyone else? Next we will all be on the lookout for the return of the Balitmore Oriole...

sooey

Original Author
    16 years ago

Nothing here either sooey - I put the hummingbird feeder right out where I could see it from my computer.

This morning I saw this (sorry about the out of focus photo), but no little hovering, humming, shooting star type bird.

:

If you see more than one, could you point out Plymouth across the Bay?

Claire

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I have been anxiously waiting for a little hummer to come and eat from my feeders...nothing here either.

WHen do the orioles come ?? I have my first feeder out for them too ??

• sooey
    16 years ago

Hi Kids,

Still nothing today in Brewster. But, tomorrow is another day.

flwrs4ever...I just heard tonight that the Orioles are on the Cape but, I have not seen or heard them as yet. I guess I better get my oranges out tomorrow.

Claire...as soon as I see the Hummers I'll sent them your way. I guess I better print up some maps...'X' markes the spot! That little Goldfinch looks happy in the warm sun.

sooey

Original Author
    16 years ago

The hummers are in Canada for heavens sake! Why aren't they here?

Claire

• sooey
    16 years ago

This is getting serious... No Hummers in Brewster this weekend...

Claire...there is a White-throated Sparrow outside my window as I type. I haven't seen one in just about 6 weeks. Such a cutie...

sooey

Original Author
    16 years ago

sooey: no hummers here either. I also am still seeing White-throated Sparrows occasionally.

Are you still seeing Myrtle Warblers (old name for Yellow-rumped Warblers) at your suet? I now only see one at a time, very rarely. I don't know if they're scared away by the blackbird hordes, or if there's just a lot of insects around for them to eat (I think insects trump suet).

Claire

• sooey
    16 years ago

HI Claire,

Yes, I am still seeing the YRW but like you, only one at a time. The male now looks like a very different bird...completly into his courting plumage. The Pine Warbler is still at the suet every day. The male Goldfinch are now bright, bright yellow while the female has not changed much at all. I have not seen any Bluebirds in about two weeks and I can't tell if any birds have settled into any of the three bird houses I put out this year. I think all the birds are off doing what they do best in locations that may not be in our own backyards. How frustrating...don't they know they owe us?

sooey

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

The chickadees are nesting again in child-made bird house on the arbor. We had sparrows there for a few years, but the chickadees have prevailed, even tho the sparrows were trying to squat there this season! Is a half acre house lot big enough to sustain bluebirds, with a 5 acre open field across the street? I know I could put up blue bird boxes there, and I might, but I'd enjoy them more in my back yard. (selfish soul that I am)

• sooey
    15 years ago

OK...what gives here...they are all over the place but not in our area! I don't get it...

idabean...buebirds love to be on the edge of an open area. They would love that field across from you. Put a box up in your yard and in the field, see what happens. Lots of cavity nesters would be happy with your offering. I hope you are rewarded for your efforts.

sooey

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

another project....we're waiting for the bees to arrive to re-establish our bee hive. Even though my colony died this winter, we got 10 pounds of honey from the frames. "In Memoriam"

• sooey
    15 years ago

What's wrong with this picture?

BINGO! No Hummingbirds! What's up?

idabean...I sure hope your get some new bees this season. We need them!

sooey

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

my feeders are still lonely too...and I have oranges and jelly out for the orioles, and NOTHING...sigh

Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe they need directions?

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

or if they can't read .....

Claire

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Claire, thanks for the laugh !!!

BTW, did it work ?? If so I am gonna do it too...

LMBO !!!

• sooey
    15 years ago

Good going, claire! Let us know if your signs work. You might have to add blinking lights...red lights. I have watched and watchd and watched for their return but have come up empty! harumph... I'm also cold and starting to feel sorry for myself. I think I'll go to the dump and kick bricks...

sooey
    at least the Herring are running...

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

It's so freezing, I don't blame the little darlins for being so scarce. But they've been spotted so far north of us conncticutters (or whatever). I even put out my second feeder since I didn't want the first to feel so deserted. Enough already -- where are they? And you can't blame this on NYC traffic.
    lucia

Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, traffic! Maybe that's the answer - not NYC street traffic, but hummingbird air traffic!

Perhaps the hummingbird air traffic controllers are on strike, demanding an increase in nectar breaks, and the migrating hummingbirds are mostly refusing to cross the picket lines. The reported sightings could be of a few scabs who crossed the lines anyway.

There's rumors that negotiations are proceeding and the strike may be over soon.....

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

I gotta get me one of them signs...

sooey
    Brewster Local 1011

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I had a hummingbird at the back slider feeder on thur. afternoon!! and again today late afternoon!!!

Spring is realy here!!

Hope they stop by youur places soon

Nice signs lol!!!!!

Annette oops in Norwell

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Claire...ROFLMBO !! I wonder what your neighbors think of those signs...LOl

So, is the strike over yet ?? I still have nothing going on in my yard...although this week is to warm up so I HOPE they will come !!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Annette: Norwell!! Norwell!! That's just up the road a bit - the bird must have missed my exit.

flwrs4ever: The strike doesn't seem to have gone to the round-the-clock-negotiation stage yet, so probably a few more days.

I'm going to take a cue from sooey and go look for herrings running. Got to be some down by the inlet to Great Herring Pond.

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

No herring either (whine) - according to a local fisherman the tide was wrong, but I did flush a large hawk-like bird (maybe an osprey) which was also looking for herring. My camera was in the car of course.

On the way home I got stopped at the local guineafowl crossing zone, and for once I was ready with a camera. There were two of them - the first was waiting at the side of the road, and when it was clear I'd stopped, they crossed single file.

There's a flock of about a dozen at a near-by gentleman farmer's place and they often cross the road for whatever reason. Not a hummingbird, I'll grant you, but I was desperate.

Claire (staring out the window at the empty hummingbird feeder)

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

buncha crazy ladies out there! Careful or they'll take away your passports

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

I have been getting all kinds of birds this year to the yard BUT not a single hummer. I was told you will see them for a few days then they nest and have babies ...then they will be all over again...MAYBE they are nesting ?? :(

I think I will be going to the local nursery to get some already blooming annuals to plant and see if it helps.
    If not maybe Ill raffle off my feeders...grin

• sooey
    15 years ago

TA-DAAAA!

THEY MADE IT ! THE STRIKE IS OVER!!!

An hour ago, I walked out onto the deck for some sun and air. I saw this little cutie up in a tree. I ran back into the house, pulled up my chair and sat, camera in hand, still as a stone, until he finally came down for a drink! Well worth the arm cramps! I also saw a Baltimore Oriole today...the first of the season! We are well on our way...AT LAST!

Claire...If I have them I'll bet you have them also! Just in case...I made a map, all ready to put up, showing the way from Brewster to Plymouth...X marks the spot...just say the word and I'll put it up...

sooey
    who will now relax...until someone here mentions something else she needs to obsess about...

• sooey
    15 years ago

Claire...those Guiney fowl are funny looking birds! I can't say that I have ever seen one face to face. I hear they are loud and agressive when after food. Lucky you!

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

sooey: Congratulations! Nice photos of a very late bird. I haven't seen a hummer yet, but an oriole suddenly appeared late this afternoon - first on a suet feeder and then on the hummingbird feeder. He couldn't figure out how to sip the nectar.

The Guineafowl can be very noisy. I drove out this morning to go look for herring again (high tide is tricky on the Canal). A Verizon truck was parked near the bird cross-over (there's an electrical service box there) and I stopped to ask the guy a question about internet service. The birds were hanging around and squawking loudly, probably annoyed at both of us for daring to park in their right-of-way. The Verizon guy was amused - apparently they often squawk when he's working there.

Maybe the hummer(s) will come tomorrow (I did find some herring, but it looks like the tail end of the run).

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

Still no hummers (unless they're wearing oriole cloaks), but the feeder is getting traffic.

How does this thing work anyway?

Are you laughing at me?

Ma! I was here first!

It's not sweet, but at least there's some water in the center

Claire (getting distracted while waiting for the real thing to fly by)

• sooey
    15 years ago

Oh My Goodness...Claire...you had a FLOCK of B'more Orioles! Soooo beautiful and GREAT pictures! Very clear and great color. I've been gone all day...drove up to Ikea for a fresh load of 'I can't live without it, crap', so I have not been watching the birds at all. I need to get more oranges...the one I put out a few days ago is looking a little sad...I don't think I would eat it...so I need some fresh.

But I've been thinking...now we have made it this far into spring I want it to slow down. Lets stay right were we are for a while. Who should we tell?

What Herring Run do you go to?

sooey

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I saw my first one this evening in the garden!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Congratulations to you too, evonnestoryteller!

sooey: I like Ikea too, I have lots of their kitchen stuff - racks, hooks, etc.

This is my first year with the orioles, so I wasn't ready with a feeder/oranges. I'll get something tomorrow.

The closest herring run goes from the Cape Cod Canal to Great Herring Pond on the border of Bourne and Plymouth. There's a nice little park in Bournedale where you can see the fish ladders near the pond, and you can also go to the inlet/outfall at the Canal. It's across from the Herring Run Motel on route 6. I was at the Canal yesterday morning talking to a local about herring, and he mentioned that he had a summer house in Brewster which had a wonderful herring run.

This is my first year with herring. For some reason the annual herring run hadn't registered with me as a spring event.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

I am a Herring counter for the APCC...Association to Preserve Cape Cod. We count them at Stony Brook here in Brewster. That has to be the spot that local was referring to yesterday. It's a beautiful spot with a working mill. We get out corn meal there every year for our Thanksgiving Indian Pudding.

The back side of the Mill...from a distance

Part of the run that the Herring face as they make their way up the brook to the mill pond

The Gulls waiting and boy, it stinks!

I have always wanted to stop at the Herring Run Motel during one of my trips off Cape to take a look around. The Herring swim up the Canal and take a right or a left up into the inlet/outfall? No map? No directions? They just find it? Amazing. Nothing short of amazing. The Herring are a bid deal around here. They carry Spring in on their backs.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Two hummers this morning! Fighting over the territory already.

This one really looked frazzled; it must have been a hard trip, and then to have to fight on top of it.

A look around to check out the property,

And then on to breakfast. None of this hovering around, it just wanted to sit and eat.

Your Brewster Herring Run really does look nice. I sometimes get stone-ground cornmeal at the Dexter Mill in Sandwich.

The herring must smell/taste the fresh water. A fisherman told me they gather in the Canal outside the outfall and wait for high tide to come in. I wondered about the direction of the flow since the strong Canal current changes east to west to east to west, but he said it didn't matter. That implies they can come from the north or south.

I didn't go to the Herring Run Motel, just a question of logistics. The inlet/outfall is reached from the visitor's area at the Canal. The other end can be seen by taking the Bournedale Road exit, left and left to the Carter Beal Conservation Area on Bournedale Road.

Next year I'll be sure to watch out for the herring run early.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Claire...Great shots of those Hummers! At last they have arrived...whew! It looks like you have some tired but happy Hummers.

I counted Herring this morning. I saw 8 during my 10 minute count time. The sun was bright, water was clear and the gulls were happy. We have found that Herring like to run when the water temps reach 13C. Last year we recorded the largest number of Herring making the final run into the Mill Pond between May 11th & 18th. Interesting little tid-bit...when the adult Herring return to the sea, they do so tail first...facing upstream. They allow themselves to be swept backwards with the current. In 2003 the herring run in Bournedale River in Buzzards Bay numbered approximately 200,000 herring. The herring in that run are/were counted using an electronic counting tube...a camera. I find it all very interesting.

I need to get out and walk around the yard today. If the Hummers are here, I should find a lot of new growth, buds and hope for color to come...or not. I've seen some hanging baskets of impatients on houses already. It seems a little early to see such color. Nice, but early. Our nights are still cold. Soon it will be time to get my house plants outside...the start of summer camp.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

sooey: I didn't know that adult herring return tail-first downstream to the sea. In fact, I didn't know that any fish did that. It fits though with the image I had yesterday of herring swimming up the down escalator to get to the freshwater pond. That's hard work!

Funny you should mention house plants - today I decided to put out the hardiest of my house forest. The epiphyllums, the "Christmas" cacti, and the clivia were the pioneers to go out on the deck. I've got them shaded to acclimatize to the increased light outside. These guys can handle temperatures down into the upper 30's, and I can drag them back in again if there's a frost warning.

The rest of the plants will go out in stages, probably starting around May 15. The most tropical types will probably wait until June.

I'm getting lots of new growth in the yard, and I'm seeing more and more insects. I read somewhere that nectar isn't the primary food for hummingbirds - actually the sugar serves to fuel an incredibly efficient bug-eating machine. They suggested leaving out a banana peel to attract bugs for the fueled-up, sugar-high, hummer to eat. How many more ways can I overfeed my birds?

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Yes, my Epippi are always the first to hang in the fresh air. I need to put up two new hangers for them this year in a more protected area...less sun but, I can't find the brackets I bought last year...same old story... I also put out my Christmas cacti, ivy, crown of thorns and a few others. This year I might put out one of my 'way to many' corn plants/trees...if I can find a spot that is shady enough. We are having a patio and outdoor shower put in at the back of the house this month so I really need to wait to find new locations for everything.

Banana peel to attract bugs for the Hummers. I'll work on that tomorrow.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

I just started a new thread for birds, etc. Birds and other mobile features in the garden, but I thought these two photos belonged here.

Oh, give me a home....where the guineafowl roam...... (this is not my yard)

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Oh My Goodness...what a sight to see. In Plymouth, no less!

In CT, we had a 'farmer' through the woods from us who kept Peacocks and Peahens. How strange it was to hear their somewhat mournful cry in the evening. So out of place in the CT woods but also a comfort...hearing them reminded me of going to the Toledo Zoo in OH as a child.

Guineafowl are strange looking birds. Nice grey and white plumage but don't the have a turkey/buzzard type of featherless neck and head? Very different.

Thanks for opening another thread. This one is getting way long.

sooey