Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink'

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 13:03

I have a really nice specimen of this shrub--over 20 years old and looking spectacular this year. And the deer have not touched it.

I was thinking of planting more of them to replace some of my deer-ruined shrubs but someone told me it isn't available at local--within an hour of Boston--nurseries anymore.

Is that true? Has anyone seen it this spring in a nursery where you trust them to label plants correctly? Not the big-box stores or their ilk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink'

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 15:25

I haven't visited any nurseries yet this spring (too dangerous) but you might try calling Katsura Gardens or Morrison's Home and Garden, both in Plymouth. These are run by reliable and knowledgable people.

Claire

o

You could always propogate new plants.

o

Thanks for the nursery suggestions, Claire. And Pixie, I can't wait that long but thanks for the thought.

o

I got one at The Mixed Border in Hollis NH in 2004 and two more at Lake St Garden Center in Salem NH in 2006. They all match so they were labelled correctly. I had to prune a lot to get all 3 to be similar size and it worked. They are quite stunning this year if I do say so myself. Well, a neighbor said so too. She asked if her kids could have a professional picture done with them as a background. I told her to hurry.

o

does Weston Nurseries really not have them?
mt

o

Westons shows them in their online database, although that may or may not mean they are available.

A search for Azalea mucronulatom 'Cornell Pink' showed Mahoneys too.

Good chance, however, that any availability would be limited during bloom time. How could they not sell out when in bloom so early in the season?

Also saw hits from whiteflowerfarm and forestfarm.com

o

Yes, I have learned not to trust online reports of what nurseries have unless their business is entirely online. I would like to buy locally as mail-order shrubs are too small for my purpose. Guess I'll just have to get on the phone and in the car tho I'm trying to avoid using gas. Would rather spend $ on plants.

o

Yes, I know if you call Weston they'll check, even if they have to go out to the fields, then dig and hold it for you. C

o

I called Weston's on Wednesday with a list of plants I wanted and I am still waiting for a return call/email.

You do know there is a new Weston's in Chelmsford, right? I don't know if that's closer for you. I'm sure they get stock regularly from Hopkinton.

o

Yes, I do know there's one in Chelmsford, but forgot it when I wrote. Off to Chelmsford I go!!!! If I go soon and see a Cornell Pink, I'll let you know, tho I hope you've heard by then. I few years ago I called with a hope you have list. They were very busy and it did take time for them to call back, but they did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here