Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

PEEPERS I hear em! 2014

ontheteam
9 years ago

It really might be Spring after all. I was outside potting up the donated "Tiny dino " Asiatic lillys that were donated for the plant sale and I heard em!

Comments (27)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Terrific!! I added it to the First spring peeper reports in New England FAQ. I'll go across the street tonight and listen to see if any peeps are coming from the pond down the hill.

Claire

• moliep
    9 years ago

Miss the peepers near my first house... LOVED their sounds, especially driving up our road near the wetlands. Their chorus would get louder and louder as my car got closer. One of nature's best sounds.

Molie

9 years ago

I heard wood frogs today as I drove near the local marsh in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b with my windows down.
    wood frog call

The peepers should call within a few days (none last night).

Claire

9 years ago

And this is what a spring peeper looks like.

spring peeper call

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 15:16

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Ooh, I'll have to keep an ear out for them! Always fun to hear them that first night!

• bebebzzz
    9 years ago

Heard 'em on Yesterday in Westport, and then today in Redding. Love those little guys!!!

• rockman50
    9 years ago

Claire: I heard them Sunday night, March 30th here in Dartmouth on the south coast. The heavy flooding rain really brought them out.

9 years ago

FAQ updated.

None here yet, I just went out to listen.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

I haven't heard them yet, but the ospreys are back!

For the first time (in known history) they are on the Cape Cod beaches along with the yearling snowy owls, who are gearing up to make the trek north. The ospreys object - strenuously! - to the snowy owls being on their beaches, and are harassing them mercilessly.

There are some great sequences of photos of the two species interacting - if I can remember where I saw this, I'll post a link.

9 years ago

DtD: I can imagine the outrage the ospreys are showing at coming back and finding snowy owls flitting around their beaches. And the herring should be running soon which will annoy them even more if the owls take the fish!

I heard a few isolated peepers singing tonight here in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b. Nowhere near a full chorus but it's still better than silence. The night time temperature is around 40 degrees which I've read is important to little frogs.

Claire

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Haven't heard peepers here yet but have enjoyed listening to a hoot owl each evening the past few weeks. Saw a bunny down in the backyard yesterday & the deer have been scoping out the garden beds in recent days. :-(

Finches are beginning to sing their spring notes and I watched a he mourning dove chase a she mourning dove around under one of my bird feeders the other day which made me grin.

9 years ago

I went out to check for peepers tonight and I heard them from the porch! Not quite the full chorus but still lots of peepers singing (best heard from across the street).

It was a nice warm day today and I guess the chill is wearing off.

Claire

• bebebzzz
    9 years ago

Peepers in New Fairfield and Sherman today. :)

9 years ago

Added to FAQ.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Peepers in Shelton CT tonight!

Unfortunately, there may be one less little frog in the world. I was driving home from work about 9pm, and as I passed the pond, I suddenly thought, ooh! I have to listen for peepers! I rolled down the window and listened, and heard nothing. Disappointed, I rolled the window back up and as I looked back up at the road there was a little frog hopping across my path! Yikes! I swerved - yes indeed, I swerved for a tiny frog - my DH would have killed me if he was in the car with me! - but not sure if I missed it, poor thing. Hopefully it was so tiny I missed it, but I swear it was right in the path of my left tire....

200 feet down the road I parked and got out and heard peepers! Couldn't for the life of me figure out why I didn't hear them near the pond, which is their usual hangout, but still I was glad to hear them, although my happiness was tempered by the thought of that poor little frog....

9 years ago

FAQ updated.

Of course you swerved for a frog, Dee, it was the right thing to do! And we New Englanders have gotten good at swerving to avoid potholes this year, so your skills are probably excellent. You almost certainly missed it.

Claire

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I was excited to be at the Manchester, NH airport watching planes this evening and the peepers were out in force! Woo Hoo! Spring is here!!

9 years ago

FAQ updated.

I'm picturing a line of peepers waiting to go through check-in at the airport.....

Claire

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

The wood frogs showed up this AM. Yesterday our pond was 90% ice covered and today 90% ice free. The peepers can't be too far behind.

9 years ago

Wood frogs on Earth Day, a good sign, squirejohn.
    FAQ updated

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I was out of town, but DH said that the peepers started on Wednesday or Thursday, 4/16 or 4/17. One of these days I want to get an instrument that measures decibels, since one of our larger wet spots is so loud that it is almost painful to be near.

9 years ago

FAQ updated.

There were several articles on bostonglobe.com this morning about acceptable noise in restaurants. It would be interesting to know where your peepers fit into that spectrum.

Claire

• defrost49
    9 years ago

nhbabs, I think that was about the time I first started hearing them. The noise was faint but has increased in decibels. Now I can hear them as I drive near wet areas even with the windows closed.

9 years ago

defrost49's report added to FAQ.

Claire

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Peepers today - finally!

9 years ago

FAQ updated

Well, they sure took their own sweet time, squirejohn, but at least they're there and singing.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Too funny last night. I was driving home from work, and rolled down the window at the usual spots to listen to the peepers. When I passed one usual spot, I swear there was one peeper - ONE. Just one. It sounded so weird and kind of silly, to just hear the one little guy. The other usual spots were hopping (no pun intended) but that one spot just had that one little peeper - with a big voice.

:)
    Dee