Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

First annual pilgrimige today

bill_ri_z6b
14 years ago

First visit to Briggs nursery in N. Attleboro. Picked up a new hardy cactus, two nice sempervivums, some herbs and annuals and a new ceramic pot. There was a vendor out front having a nice sale on all conatiners.

Also went to Seven Arrows in S. Attleboro. First time there. It was nice despite the gray chill. I got some rosemary and tarragon.

There will be many more nursery visits I'm sure!

When I go to Logees in Danielson I will also visit Hart's in Canterbury, CT.

Thank God for American Express!!! (But Briggs doesn't accept it! Only Visa and MC).

Comments (10)

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

My pilgrimage today was to the San Jose CA heritage rose garden, about 75 degrees & sunny (I'm rubbing it in, Bill) and they have 4000 rose bushes growing and blooming like crazy and slim tanned Californians biking and jogging around. That was followed by a visit to nearby Univ. of Santa Clara where there's a half mile long iron fence with all different climbing roses on it! I can't buy any rose plants here and take them back on the plane but I'm taking notes on the colors, plant habit (shrub or narrow tall, etc.) and especially the scents which no description in words conveys. So laterat home I can order some hardy rose bushes for our RI climate.

Just to make you feel better: it's supposed to rain here by Tuesday.

Carol

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK to rub it in while you can!
    Somewhere nearby San Jose, I visited a university that had a huge field of Proteas, Banksias, Leucodendron, Leucospermum etc. I was like a kid in a candy store! Didn't know where to aim my camera first!

I went to a gorgeous rose garden in Portland, OR some years ago and that's where I saw the climbing "Altissimo". Had to get one and it's been doing fine for well over 12+ years now.

It's amazing how many things you can see in other areas that you might never have known about! Same as when I went to England. I want to grow Roscoea purpurea "Red Gurkha" but nobody in the US seems to have it. The UK nurseries can't (or won't) ship it here.

Enjoy your trip!

Bill

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

ohohoh I was there Sat. Briggs was AMAZING.
    But I was there for the NE pottery sale.
    75 pots for $75.00!!

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of the pot score

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Glad to hear you are getting out Bill and sounds like you found some treasures and had some fun! Where are the photos of your finds?!

We got out on Saturday in awful weather since we couldn't get in the garden. I dressed for it with layers and an umbrella, but it didn't help. I usually don't mind walking around outdoors in weather, but it was late in the day and I was tired and I just couldn't get into it. I was about to go home without a purchase and my husband wouldn't hear of it. I had to buy SOMEthing. [g] So he bought me a B*ay Leaf tree that I didn't want to spend the money on. And I picked up two packets of peas seeds which I am wondering if it is too late to plant. I didn't even get what I went for, a large bag of Perlite, that they were out of. I'm going to have to make up for that trip soon. [g]

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today I plan on planting what I bought yesterday. Photos may be forthcoming. Not sure if I should take pictures before or after they're planted.

I think the peas will be OK now. Personally I don't have the space (nor the energy) to dig and plant, especially when frozen peas are cheap, and actually not bad! LOL!

Weather should be good this week. Not too warm but pleasant for gardening work!

Bill

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a shot of one of my camellias that's just about finished blooming. This was only it's second year and only one flower. But it's looking healthy.

Camellia April Dawn

And below is what I bought yesterday. Took the lazy way out and took a couple of shots of the whole tray!
    New stuff I bought (1)

Opuntia phaeacantha (orange), two new sempervivums, parsley, tarragon, and two supposedly hardy rosemary plants. One is "Madeleine Hill" and the other is "Irene", which is a trailer(?). The nursery had then both marked as zone 5 hardy, but then one of the sales persons said they "might have chance in Providence, in a protected spot." Why rate them as zone 5 then? Anyway, time will tell.

New stuff I bought (2)
    2 Osteospermums for my planters, and some pansies for now. The rest is the same as the first photo.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Bill, I think April Dawn is my new favorite of your camellias. It looks very healthy! Beautiful, perfectly formed flower. I'm adding that to the list. I am always looking for new sempervivums and pansies. Love that bright pink osteospermum. Are they going in your new pot? You are off to a good start, I'd say. :-)

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ann the osteos are going into two pots that I have out on my front steps every season. For that new pot out back I envision some med. pink wave petunias, chartreuse col*eus or sweet potato vine, something silvery or small flowered white and a burgundy dracaena. But it's always a work in progress until I see it just right.

Bill

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

That is a pretty combination. I enjoy pink and green and chartreuse will tie it together with the pot. Nice. Photos to come I hope. :-) Doesn't it seem like a LONG spring? I usually wait until May 15th to bring out my house plants and Begonias for pots. It seems like I've been waiting for awhile now. I just hate to have to bring anything back in once they are out.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ann,

My house plants are going out today or tomorrow. The Meyer lemon had tons of flowers and I hand pollinated but it would have been better outside. The cymbidium orchids will be fine out there now as well. Also a Hedychium, dwarf banana, brugmansia, bougainvillea and hibiscus.

Time to clean out that sunroom for the summer!

BTW I haven't forgotten your cactus pads. Just that with the flood and all, I've been playing "catchup".

Bill