Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone recognize these leaves?

Posted by leslie6ri (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:53

These popped up in a my garden and I don't know if they're something I planted or weeds. Does anyone know?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone recognize these leaves?

Pulmonaria?????

o

Hi bebe,

I really hope so! I lost all but two of my eight or nine Pulmonaria last year to some varmint or other. Maybe one had time to set seed. It would be great to get a few plants back.

o

they look like some young trout lilies to me

o

Yes, I would have said trout lilies. Pulmonaria would be white spots.

o

I get these all over my yard and consider them weeds. Nasty thorny little things, if I'm thinking of the right thing. I'm trying to remember if this is a vine or not....?

I always think it's "something" lol, till it grows a bit more, and then I yank.

I don't know. On second look, maybe it's not the same thing. I'll have to go outside and take a look!

Dee

o

Look like Trout Lilies to Me too.

o

Hi everyone,

Yes, they are trout lilies. (I remember now... ) Thanks very much for identifying them!

Another question... Do you think they are too close together? And if so, should I move them now while they're young? Wait until they've grown a bit and then transplant them? Or just leave them alone? --I'll try to do some research on their growing habits, but if anyone has any hands-on knowledge your advice would be very welcome. I've never grown them before. (And I'm actually quite excited that they came up!!!)

Thanks everyone!

o

Wild trout lilies grow that close together.

o

I added some three years ago and the leaves came up the first year, but no bloom. I didn't see the leaves the second year. This year the leaves are up again but so far, no bloom. Not sure when they bloom, but I thought they were spring bloomers? So, I'm no help, but thought I would mention it.

o

Thanks nhbabs, I'll leave them where they are.

prairiemoon2, I hope the leaves, at least, come up next year (so I don't plant something else on top of them). They are early Spring bloomers, but I guess they take a while to reach blooming age/size. I'll be patient.

o

Hi!

I have very similar looking leaves, but solid-green, not mottled. Weed?

Thanks!

o

WE have lots and lots of trout lilies in the lawn, field and woods, most of which never bloom.

o

tulipscarolan - the solid colored leaves may be canada mayflower. personally i consider them a wildflower, not a weed.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 10:28

Canada Mayflowers - a wildflower in my yard (but I don't have a well manicured neat and tidy garden).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Claire

o

Yes, I think that's it!! THANKS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here