Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robynscottdesigns

What are you planting outside now?

robynscottdesigns
14 years ago

Just curious... I have started peas, lettuce, bets, spinach, chard, arugula, (all from seed) and potatoes, onion sets, and broccoli seedlings. Oh- and I have planted out my petunias that I started in February. What do YOU have?

Comments (10)

• ginny12
    14 years ago

I just came in from planting my pansies, not from seed, sorry to say. In the middle of the clean-up we couldn't do til the floods abated.

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

peas. garlic. Weeded irises that had been heavily invaded then replanted irises. Winter-sowed some nigella seeds (love-in-a-mist) and amazingly, they have sprouted.

I'm planting tall cedar posts in the ground. Starting a potager. I wish I could post a photo but evidently one has to have the pix on an internet source, not just on one's desktop.

Carol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Carol, you can post photos without having them stored on the internet. There is a website called www.tinypic.com where you just upload your photo from your desktop and it gives you a web address to add to your post. I use it all the time.

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

OK, Prairiemoon, here goes:

My totem pole farm, AKA potager in progress. 32x20 with tall cedar posts to plant climbing roses on. In the distance, BTW, is a summer cottage colony and beyond it is Goosewing Beach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potager-to-be

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Hi Carol....that didn't quite work. Try this....

Step by step directions for using tinypic.com

1. On their website, click on choose file, which brings up your files on your
    com*puter, find and highlight the photo you want, click choose.
    2. click on the 'resize' drop down menu and choose Message Board size.
    3. click Upload now
    4. when it is finished creating the photo to post, you see a page titled 'Share This
    Image', right underneath that title are boxes with codes in them. highlight all the
    letters and symbols in the box titled 'HTML for Websites' then copy that and
    paste it to the body of the message you are trying to post.
    5. Hit 'preview message' on GW and you should see the photo you are trying
    to post in the body of the email. Then if it is the size you want you can
    submit your message and voila! If you want a different size, you can go
    back and do it again, choosing a different size.

Hope that helps.... :-)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

Carol, you're almost there. You have to choose to copy the html code, not the img code, and then paste it directly into your message. It's the top one. You just click on the code and it automatically copies it.

I did a little recovery here.

Claire

14 years ago

pm2 and I posted at almost the same time.

Claire

14 years ago

Carol: PM2 has excellent directions there. You got your photo online since I could reach it and just manipulate the method of posting so it could be seen.

If you use tinypic you should not paste into the GW "Optional Link URL:". You should paste into the message itself.

Keep going! Maybe you'll have it by the time my reply is posted.

Claire

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

I've been posted! Thanks, Claire. I have some other pix of the erection of the vast totem pole forest, but that's the best one, so I won't bother with others. There used to be a riverside park with dance hall in Newton MA called "Norumbega Park" which had fake totem poles for decoration. I wonder if that's what I'm reconstructing.

I'm leaving town in 3 days for my self-inflicted tour of Nor.Cal. roses, and the tiny netbook I'll be carrying is so difficult and slow (compared to my home MacBook Pro) that I'm not going to try to post pix from this trip. I will be seeing many gardens, incl. 2 areas of gardens for typical dry Calif. weather, which won't be relevant to New England's climate. I'll be able to keep up with the forum on the net from cheap motels with wifi.

Every so often (won't happen, though) I fantasize about living in, say, East Bay SFO or Napa Valley area, and gardening year 'round and eating the best freshest & cheapest fruits, nuts & veggies in the midst of mellow Californians. Instead of enduring dark cold winters and bitter suspicious locals. On the other hand, I AM a bitter suspicious local myself!

Besides, I'd have to trade floods for earthquakes.

Carol

• still_lynnski
    14 years ago

I am planting rocks! We had a tractor over this weekend and it was so exciting to see the size and variety of the big old boulders he pulled out of our soil.

Doing hardscape work at the start of the season is so satisfying, and there's no worry about frost.