Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Clethra 'Ruby Spice' -- what happened??!

ctlady_gw
14 years ago

Can anyone shed light on why a clethra (Ruby Spice) would suddenly drop dead on me? I've had it 3+ years and it's done well. I kept waiting for it to show signs of life this spring but nothing... finally went out to snap some twigs today, and this baby is definitely dead as a doornail.

I'm wondering if there's something about its habitat or perhaps growth cycle (are they short-lived?) that I didn't know... it's in a butterfly garden, between a Ninebark, buddleias (several kinds), a stand of Joe Pye, native phlox, etc., a spirea. It seems to be the only casualty ...any ideas? I don't want to replace it with another clethra at the conservation district sale tomorrow unless I can at least guess at what went wrong.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (12)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    14 years ago

well I know it likes moist soils.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

It survived for three years? So far I've managed to kill two. The first took one year and the second took two. At this point, I just make a hollow laughing sound when people refer to them as 'easy to grow'. In my particular case, I think the problem is a pH sensitivity. I *have* a swamp, and even putting it on the edge of squish didn't help.

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So... maybe I won't get another one :( With all the other great native butterfly plants available, I'll go for something less sensitive to moisture levels, which I suspect was the problem (though heaven knows it had enough moisture last year). I'll also have to look up the results of the soil test we did after we built this garden (using entirely organic compost for soil) before I buy something else for it (though everyone else living there seems very happy -- the native phlox get HUGE, and the ninebark is happy as a [large, green] clam).

Back to the drawing board.... :)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    14 years ago

maybe C. Hummingbird would do better?

I didn't know Ruby Spice was temperamental. I'll have to go check on mine and make sure they're ok. I kinda took them for granted. I bought 3 teeny weeny pots mail order awhile back and they have only recently started to get going.

• ego45
    14 years ago

As it was said before, acid soil and ample moisture, that's all any clethra may need. That's all as far as I know.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I planted a few Ruby Spices in my friend's swamp- er, garden last year. They did great last year, but I noticed they are VERY slow to come to life this spring. I didn't break off any branches yet though. I didn't know they had a reputation for being tempermental, either.

:)
    Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I am having a problem with both my 'Hummingbird' and 'Sherry Sue' The Sherry Sue did finally come back but only half way up each stem and I had to prune it back significantly. The Hummingbird does seem to have some bottom leaves just opening but I think I am going to have to cut that back to just about ground level. I've just been waiting to see if I will get any more leaves further up. I've had the Hummingbird for 4 years and it has always been late but always came back fine. It was just getting to a good size too. The Sherry Sue was just added two falls ago.

• corunum z6 CT
    14 years ago

Hi Marty - you're not alone. I have 4 'Ruby Spice' purchased in 2008 from the same nursery. All 4 in acid, moisture-retentive soil,lightly filtered shade with about 3 hours of direct sun. One bloomed profusely last year, one is dead this year (branches break right off) none show any signs of life except that there is a 'springyness' in the branches of the remaining three. Mine leaf-out late, nearly the end of May, but side by side in my back garden, one lived, one didn't.

I don't usually replace like-for-like plants that die. Yesterday I came home with Chaenomeles speciosa "Toyo Nishiki" (Japanese Flowering Quince) - beautiful shrub. In bloom now, not August as Ruby Spice would be (should be). If my remaining three clethra are not happy in my yard, they will not be replaced with other clethra...I'll move on. Good luck at the sale!

Kindly,
    Jane

• noticklish
    14 years ago

I had a rosea for about 3 years until the tree service dropped a tree trunk on it and it broke off at the base. I left the stub to see if like many bushes it would resprout from the roots but it did not. I'm not going to replace it due to the large amount of winter kill it gets. Maybe I will try a dwf mountain laurel instead.

• bebebzzz
    14 years ago

Just be sure they're dead before you give up on them. My 'Ruby Spice' are just now starting to bud. Perhaps you haven't waited long enough - they do bud late. OR, perhaps mine are on their way out too!

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I am notorious for giving second (and third, even fourth) chances! It certainly SOUNDS dead (sharp snap when you break a branch, sounding thoroughly dry and dead) BUT... I am cutting it back to about 6 inches and we will see if it cares to rejoin its garden mates.

In the meantime, I found that going unaccompanied to the conservation district sale early on the first day (so everyone else with the same idea was there and thus no carts were available) decidedly reduces the quantity one buys, though I did come home with a native spice bush .... much taller, so it had to go at the back, at the woods' edge (and as is always the case, one new resident means everyone else has to shuffle as the garden commences its annual game of musical chairs :)

Thanks, everyone, for the comments -- I am so glad to know I'm not the only one to find clethra temperamental!

• lise_b
    14 years ago

That's odd, I think mine died over the winter too. Or it's just very slow to wake up... but I think it's dead. :-/