Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
type of container that can stay out year round

Posted by lisahloo ma z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 15:26

Hi all,

We just had our front porch rebuilt last fall, and I'm now starting the slow process of re-landscaping (you'll see some more posts from me soon!). When we had the porch re-done, we reoriented the stairs so they now go down the front of the house to the street instead of off to the side. Anyway, I want to get a couple of large containers that can stay out year round with different plantings. I have a couple of dwarf spruces that are still quite small, and I was thinking they might be the center of each of those pots (so they can serve as a holiday decoration come winter!) so it needs to be pretty good sized.

I'm considering wooden ones (the porch is painted white with mahogany decking that will be left to weather), but am not sold on it... My other instinct was more of a classic urn. If I'm going to do it at all, I'd like to do it right and fully understand my options. What kinds of materials can take the winters? Obviously I can't leave a ceramic pot planted up all winter... Do the metal ones last? Are they worth the price? Anyone know of a place to buy or order ones at reasonable prices? (I was just at Mahoney's and they were nearly $200! Is that truly how much I'll have to pay?)

Thanks! Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: type of container that can stay out year round

I bought a glossy black fiberglass planter on sale at Target a couple of years ago, probably $30-40. I've had a dwarf Alberta spruce in it on my exposed front steps, and both the plant and planter have held up fine. One advantage to fiberglass is that it's light.

I like more contemporary decor so the classic iron urns aren't my style, but they're certainly popular, and they seem to last forever. I don't know what you have to do to keep them from rusting. You can get resin look-alikes for much less money, but some look better than others.

Some ceramic planters are glazed and fired to be weather resistant. I bought a few for fairly short money at Christmas Tree shop several years ago, and so far so good, I leave the dirt in them outside in the winter and they haven't cracked. But they're quite heavy, if that's a consideration. You'd probably want to put pot feet under them if they're to be on a wooden deck.

o

I have two fiberglass planters that stay out all year. They have gone through two winters now without a problem. The edges are looking a little ratty this year and need a touch up of some kind. They are painted I guess and it wears off. That is the one drawback. They are nice and light too.

I have another kind that stayed out all winter last year but I'm not sure what it is made of. It almost seems like paper mache only stronger.

There's always cement too, right?

o

> There's always cement too, right?

Surprisingly, concrete (aka "cast stone") isn't necessarily weatherproof. I have a nice concrete planter that I leave outside, but I empty the dirt, turn it upside down, and put a couple of 1 x 2's under it so it won't freeze to the surface. I don't know *how* likely concrete is to crack, but I like this planter so much I'm not taking any chances. Here's a link I posted a few months ago for concrete care instructions.

I was in the Watertown Home Depot a week ago or so and they had a pair of quite nice concrete urns for a good price, $25 each. They weren't exactly my style, but I was tempted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campania cast stone winter care instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here