Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffin1358

Pink Lady Helleborous

muffin1358
9 years ago

I ordered crocus and tulip bulbs a couple of weeks ago. If I spent $50, I got $25 off. To put me over the $50 threshold I splurged on a Pink Lady Helleborous.

She arrived today. Instructions say plant immediately. Given the weather conditions, I'm inclined to hold off planting until Fri/Sat or even maybe Monday.

She came in a little 3" peat pot, so I have her on my window sill for now.

Does this sound ok or should I throw her out in the cold to fend for herself??

Comments (3)

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    9 years ago

It should be ok to plant it, it's evergreen (frost shouldn't hurt it) and hardy up to zone 4. If you're having heavy ice storms or something that will break the foliage, then maybe hold off, but for rain/frost, it should be good to go. I'm going to be adding some Helleborous to my plot as well. Generally gardening websites wont ship items until it's time to plant them in the location they are being shipped to.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

As Phaewryn points out, mail order nurseries normally provide planting instructions and, considering how expensive Hellebore/Lenten rose plants generally are, it's probably a good idea to check those or else contact the nursery and ask for some help/advice.

The instruction to 'plant immediately' may be a generic recommendation so the plant doesn't dry out in it's very small pot in very dry growing medium.

I have a number of Hellebore cultivars that I ordered from an online nursery but I purposely chose to order them late in the season so the plants could be set in the garden when temperatures were cooling.

If you have potting soil available, transplanting to a gallon pot would at least give your plant slightly better growing conditions while you wait to decide when to plant out. Indoors on your window sill is NOT a good idea. Hellebores are very tolerant of cold weather and shouldn't be inside where the temperature is too warm and the air is too dry.

Good luck and be patient--Lenten roses take some time to get established but they're well worth the wait. All mine--purchased via mail order in 2011--are currently in bloom. I don't have Pink Lady; the cultivars I grow are Cinnamon Snow, Regal Ruffles & Sandra.

• muffin1358
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I'm going to plant her today.