Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Announcing the new Cotton-Arbo retum website!!

arbo_retum
14 years ago

This is intended to be a teaching website, with hundreds of photos, and some 'pearls of wisdom'from our near 30 years of gardening. My version of a mini book, really. It has been my complete obsession for the last 4 months. It is NOT complete, but alot is done, so I thought I'd post about it before we all get swamped by the full-on gardening season. Photo captions will be the very last thing done on the site, but if you look through it and have any plant i.d. questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

best,

Mindy

http://www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: teaching website of The Cotton-Arbo retum

Comments (13)

• lschibley
    14 years ago

Wow. Just amazing content in there, Mindy. Both photos and wisdom. I see hours of pleasure perusing your site before me.

BTW, I am sharing it on facebook. This should definitely be spread far and wide.

Lisa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Mindy! Just beautiful! Thanks so much for posting this. Your garden is wonderful, and the site is great. Thank you!

:)
    Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

Great job, Mindy! and I love the story you told about:

"Imagine My Surprise!: Behind The Curtains At The Cotton-Arbo Retum"

It's that kind of attitude (dare I say obsession?) that resulted in this wonderful garden and website.

Well done,
    Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Excellent site Mindy, and the garden and photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

What a treat ! At your express invitation, your garden has been added to my
    "Must See" List for this season, especially since I have several forays into
    Massachusetts planned this summer. Thanks for the terrific website!

Carl

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If any of you GWers do come visit, plse let me know and I'd love to meet you/ offer iced tea and restroom (it beats my potty chair in the work area!!). I am usually here. (If your visit ends up being unplanned/ not emailable, if I see you, the offers still hold!)
    cottonarboretum@comcast.net
    best,
    mindy

• ego45
    14 years ago

Mindy, yesterday I posted a link to your garden on a Russian analogue of GW and for a second day on a row it's a hit!
    You can't believe how many nice and pleasant words your creature had earned!
    Just a few examples (in my translation):

"Thanks for the link! Fascination, enthusiasm and all the positive emotions experienced during a cursory view of this site. Ahead is the repeated close viewing. Again, many thanks to you and, of course, the creators of the Garden and the site."
    ÃîðòèëÃ
    Ãà ãíèòîãîðñê
    14.04.2010 08:04:52

"Link had been already entered into the conduit. Ahead is a thorough study on the season's changess of this wonderful garden! It is good that there are a lot of texts on the site - stories, the list of plants, etc.
    Thank you and give my sincere regards to your great friends :)"
    Mot
    Moscow
    14/04/2010 08:16:55

"Finally, I saw a garden of my dreams:). No conceivable lawn that I inherited from the previous owner, cobbled lanes and squares. Well, garden accessories - it is not mine, but everything else, just for me.
    Garden, allegedly overgrown, shady and cozy. I think such a garden can be safely called a natural.
    This is a dream garden, but I feel sorry that I have little time to implement it. :-(
    It would be hard to achieve this in my lifetime, but good thing is that I already started :-).
    P.S. If I'll be visiting Massachusetts anytime I'll be sure to visit this beauty!"
    musenok
    Hinchinbrooke, Canada
    14/04/2010 22:48:57

"Thanks for a wonderful tour. Indeed, everything is so relaxed, I didn't even felt a sense of a manmade landscape. The landscape designer, who made this garden created the illusion that there was no involvement of LD."
    Ãýããè
    ÃåíçÃ
    14.04.2010 19:36:45

and many many more....

P.S. Mindy, if you would of have a Guest Book on your website I'd guess it would be filled up in a matter of days :-))

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Mindy,
    Nice job it is good to see Cotton-Arboretum has taken the step towards education. Katy

• sjm512
    13 years ago

Mindy, I just ran across your garden while doing a little vacation research. My wife and I are going to be in Boston very soon, and gardens are a big part of the scenery we want to see. Your garden just became the only garden on my spread sheet that is highlighted in red as a must see. I think I'm looking forward to seeing it even more than the big botanical gardens/arboretums. Better keep an eye out to make sure I only have a camera and not a shovel :).

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

scotty, do email me so i can offer restnt/travel/garden tour advice (been here 40 yrs). would love to meet you
    mindy
    aka Have Shovel; Will Travel
    cottonarboretum@comcast.net

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the much larger and terrific public gardens you HAVE to see in this area are:
    **tranquil Lake nursery in Rehoboth Ma, outside Providence R.I.(1.5 hrs from Boston)
    ** Tower Hill Botanic Garden near worcester ma.(1 hr from boston)
    ** the Arnold Arboretum, for trees(in boston)

there are more.
    best,
    mindy

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Mindy,
    I was just reading the garden humor page on your website and saw one that made me laugh:
    You scold bank managers and total strangers who donâÂÂt take care of their potted plants.

Last week when I went to Walmart I noticed that the last Twist and Shout left over from a mothers day shipment was dry as a bone. I was tempted at that time to rescue it but didnt really have a place for it. Today i went back and saw that it aparently has not been watered yet because it was still bone dry and wilting pretty bad. On my way out I decided to tell the "plant caregiver" that the poor plant had not been watered for a long time and he should go water it. Of course he just gave me a wierd look and mumbled something. I felt kind of sheepish for saying anything until I read that on your website.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

go gettum mel!
    mindy
    p.s. apparently, from the feedback i rcvd on GW, i am the ONLY person in the world to think that new yorker cartoon funny. What did you think?I'm curious.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden humor page on our website