Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Recommendations for where to buy Mulch in Metro West?

I probably have asked this in the past, but it's been two or three years since I've bought a delivery of mulch. I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else has been ordering mulch and if they were satisfied with what they ordered? Like everything, mulch is getting expensive....anyone find any bargains?

Comments (20)

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

Don't know of any bargain prices, but I've always gotten my mulch delivered for Salt Box Nursery in Billerica.

Never had a problem with it, have quite a few different varieties and colors to chose from, including the new "dirt colored" mulch.

Everyone I know gets their mulch from them and have never had any complaints, return when needed to continue buying from them.

Another nice thing is that they let you come and fill your own containers with their mulch as well. Prices vary depending on the size and type of container.

Fran

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Fran. I'll check them out.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Everyone in my neighborhood gets their mulch from D&D. I've never purchased mulch, so I can't comment on quality. They have quite a few locations in metro west.

Here is a link that might be useful: D&D

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pixie Lou. I think they are South of Boston and I am North. But, it's a good idea to have a thread where everyone posts where there are local companies that sell mulch, so anyone can refer to it in the future, too.

I can't imagine how you get away without using mulch! I do use a LOT of chopped up leaves not only from my leaves, but my neighbors too, but I still don't have enough and I really prefer the look of the mulch at least along the front edge of the beds and I use the leaves in the back. I've tried to only order every three years and then put down a thick layer, but it is a job and an expense I wish I didn't need.

Thanks for the recommendation. :-)

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

prairiemoon - I use wood chips. Whenever a tree guy is in the neighborhood, if I see they are cutting hard woods, I go and ask for the wood chips. They are usually happy to dump them in my driveway instead of hauling them back to their disposal site. It may not look as pretty as "mulch" but it does the job, and you can't beat the price.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a great idea Pixie Lou...I'll have to keep my eye out for tree work. I guess I missed the best opportunity last October after that ice storm.

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

Be very careful using the wood chips. Since it is the "whole tree", not just the bark of the tree, the cellulose is there in the wood.

That is the perfect "food' for termites, and believe me, they will find it.

All you have to do is ask several of my neighbors who used wood chips from the trees they cut down. Within 2 years all 5 of them had termites infested in the wood chips, wood chips from their own trees that where cut down.
    Just lucky that they never found their way into the house.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Maybe I'm too far north, but I use woodchips and woodshavings and haven't ever had termites. Perhaps they just have better food sources since I live in a largely wooded area.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

fran - my understanding is that a lot of the bark mulches that have been dyed - as in red, brown or black mulch - have been made of shredded hard wood that is dyed. Even playground chip is wood chips. Unless the mulch specifically says cedar or hemlock, or some other brand of wood - and it specifically says made from the bark only - it is made from various hardwoods. This is why I decided to use wood chips for mulch in my gardens - I figured it was the same as I would buy in the store, just without the added dyes. So now I'm wondering if the commercial mulch makers treat the mulch with some type of pesticide/insecticide prior to selling it. Otherwise it seems like termites would be an issue with commercially purchased mulch as well.

I personally don't worry about termites. We live in a wooded area so we have an annual pest control contract. IMO, if you live in a wooded area you either have termites/carpenter ants, or else you have a Terminix contract.

• terrene
    11 years ago

I use wood chips too. I had tree work done in December 2005 and 2007 and am just finishing up the chips from those jobs. My neighbor just had a bunch of pines removed, and was left with a humongous pile of chips. He has let me fill up many wheel barrows.

His are brand new, and they look pretty nice, but after aging for a year or so, wood chips can look really nice. No they aren't expensive cedar bark, but they're quite acceptable (and FREE). Even my 6 year old chips are nice and rich medium brown-looking although they are well along the way to decomposition and full of humus. They are great around my perennials!

Oh, in my experience the pine chips are nicer than the hard wood. Much less sticks.

• peglet13
    9 years ago

Regarding D&D for mulch - or for any product they sell - buyer beware! We purchased loam and mulch from them, but what we soon found out was that the products contained construction demolition debris. Our yard has various fragments of glass, asphalt shingles, plastics, metals, wires, wire covering, nails, screws, mirrors, vinyl tile, grout, etc... etc...
    We have tried for 5 years to get D&D to do the right thing by completely removing the solid waste for which they are responsible, but they have yet to take adequate measures to do so. We just want our once beautiful yard back.
    The MassDEP issued a Notice of Non-Compliance to D&D on behalf of our yard, and we prevailed in civil court, yet our yard remains unsafe and unusable.

More details, as well as photos and images of legal documents are depicted on a 'Buyer Beware - D&D Mulch and Landscape' page I created in an effort to prompt restorative action from D&D.

On a related note, I found this website/thread when googling 'D&D termites', as a local exterminator told me this AM that he signed three customers this summer because they purchased mulch from D&D that contained termites. I am making every effort to verify this information, but have yet to do so. When verified, I will update.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyer Beware - D&D Mulch and Landscape

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Does D&D manufacture their own loam? Or do they buy it elsewhere? I know the loam making machine costs about $1 mil. And since they have so many locations, I'm wondering how many locations actually make the loam.

We also bought loam from D&D. It was a DIY grass planting project. Had no problem with the stuff whatsoever. Can't remember if it was spring of 2008 or 2009. I have no idea where our loam came from in 2007 or this year since I hired professional landscapers for both of those landscaping projects. I think I will ask my landscaper about D&D when I see him this week.

• peglet13
    9 years ago

Via the MassDEP, the loam that D&D Mulch and Landscape sold and delivered to us in September 2009 was obtained from another company. That said, the owner of D&D has stated repeatedly (and testified) that D&D screened the loam through a 1/2" screen.
    Also, I have correspondence from the owner that illustrates his knowledge of the problem, yet he testified in court that he had no knowledge of the problem. Unfortunately for us, that correspondence was not allowed as evidence as it was considered "settlement talks".
    Re: the mulch, from what I understand about D&D is that they produce some of their mulch and also purchase some of it.

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 12:15
    Does D&D manufacture their own loam? Or do they buy it elsewhere? I know the loam making machine costs about $1 mil. And since they have so many locations, I'm wondering how many locations actually make the loam.
    We also bought loam from D&D. It was a DIY grass planting project. Had no problem with the stuff whatsoever. Can't remember if it was spring of 2008 or 2009. I have no idea where our loam came from in 2007 or this year since I hired professional landscapers for both of those landscaping projects. I think I will ask my landscaper about D&D when I see him this week.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Do you know where D&D purchased the loam? Obviously the root of the problem lies with the company who manufactured the loam.

• peglet13
    9 years ago

Yes.

As stated above, the MassDEP were able to trace back to the source of the tainted products. The tainted product was supplied to D&D Mulch and the owner of D&D Mulch was aware of the problem, yet he sold the tainted product anyway.
    My contract was with D&D Mulch and Landscape, and the issue is D&D's refusal to adequately remedy the problem.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I understand your contract was with D&D, and that it was their issue/problem to solve. You are. It happy with their remedy, and frankly I don't blame you.

Are you at liberty to say who manufactured the faulty loam? Or are you under court order not to speak? As a consumer, who is in the process of major landscape work, I would like to know who manufactured the faulty product to prevent it from coming into my backyard. If D&D did. to manufacture the product, there must be hundreds of other landscapers out there receiving faulty product.

• peglet13
    9 years ago

The court did not issue a gag order. The company that mixed the construction demo debris with the loam is no longer in business. If you send me an email (I think my account is set up so I can be emailed directly) I'll provide more details.

• mayalena
    9 years ago

I've used Boston Bark in Waltham for several years. I like their "black organic" mulch, which they describe as compost-enriched bark mulch. Who knows if it's true...but it works for me!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last year, I finally found a local company whose mulch I am very happy with. NE Nurseries in Bedford. Very fresh, nice texture and color. I think it is a spruce/pine mix. I needed a little more this year and didn't want another delivery, and I called and they actually sell their own mulch bagged up. So I bought it that way this year in the amounts I needed.

Sorry, Peglet about the problems you've been having. Hope there is some way to get the company to 'make you whole again'.

• peglet13
    9 years ago

mayalena, thanks for the info about Boston Bark in Waltham. We have relatives in that area, so I'll be sure to share what you relayed.

prairiemoon2, thanks to you as well re: NE Nurseries in Beford. Thanks also for your kind words and good wishes. This has been a long, surreal ordeal. Getting our yard back is our ultimate goal and we are obviously are hoping that that happens soon.