Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilysgarden_gw

Local Garden Club Plant Sales

lilysgarden
14 years ago

This is the time of year when the local garden clubs start having their annual plants sales... such a great place to pick up perennials at a great price... and support your local garden club.

Here in NH I just saw a sign that states Amherst Garden Club is having their plant sale on Saturday May 9th.

I also was told that neighboring Milford will have their plant sale on Saturday May 16th.

Any other local garden club plant sales coming up that you know about?

lilysgarden

Comments (10)

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

Not a garden club, per se, but ... the annual Woods Hole Library plant sale will be held on May 16, starting at 9 A.M.

This sale usually has some interesting perennials and/or shrubs and seedling trees (I've gotten some good ones here) and always has some interesting characters. I usually go with my "field guide" sized Taylor's Guides and pair people with plants. It's a lot of fun, if you happen to be on the Cape that weekend.

• sedum37
    14 years ago

A lot of garden club plant sales are listed on the Garden Club Federation of Mass web site on the Events page. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Federation Events Page

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

Not all plant sales are sponsored by garden clubs. Here's one In Lee, NH, that a co-worker posted on the fridge at work (though this announcement is from Foster's Daily Democrat, the local newspaper):
    "LEE Â The 18th annual Lee Church Congregational Plant Sale will be held Friday, May 15. 4-7 p.m. and Saturday, May 16, 9 a.m.-noon. Over 2,000 perennials, trees, shrubs and shade plants, many of them field grown will be offered. There will also be vegetables including tomatoes, peppers and herb.
    Featured this year are four-year-old kousa dogwood trees, hardy deep gold forsythia shrubs and dwarf lupines.
    The sale is held at the Lee Church Congregational, center of Lee on Route 155.
    A beef stew, macaroni and cheese, salad bar supper will be held concurrently with the Friday evening sale 5-7. Breakfast will be available on Saturday morning. Strafford County Master Gardeners will be on hand to answer your gardening questions.
    Further information contact Barb Wauchope 659-8857"
    The fridge announcement also said something about new plants being put out on Saturday.

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

At Elm Bank in Wellesley: The Mass Hort and Society Row Plant Sale on May 17 brings together local plant societies and other sellers of rare and unusual plants in a day-long event that includes childrenÂs activities, a plant demonstration stage and garden tours.

May 30th and May 31st, weÂll hold a second sale of MHS-grown annual and perennials. Both days will include Master-Gardener-led tours of gardens and a horticultural help desk.

Here is a link that might be useful: MASS Hort Events

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Also lots of sales listed (under "May Markets") on the Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federated Garden Clubs of CT

• gram_NH
    14 years ago

Strafford NH Garden Club plant sale is Sat. May 23rd. from 8am to 11am. Best bet is to be there early!! People start lining up at 7am! We also have a great raffle with many plant nurserys donating gift certificates. All proceeds go to scholorships for our local youth.

Also want to comment on the Lee, NH sale. It is awesome!! One of the most organized I have ever been to. That is a definete get there early one. One year they gave us there left overs and among them was an Heirloom tomato, called the 'Chapman'. I beleive they still have it each year and we have kept it going.

Any more info needed on the Strafford one....feel free to email me from my page....which is long overdue to be updated!!

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    14 years ago

Southborough is next Saturday, May 9. I'll be there!

• lilysgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found out that Perennials from Susan will be at the plant sale in Amherst, NH this coming Saturday, May 9th... she has some of the most amazing offerings of rarities... and the most amazing display gardens! If you do go to the plant sale than you may want to take extra time and plan on heading over to her nursery afterward.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennials from Susan

• pLantsale_manchesteranimalshelter_o
    13 years ago

Hello everyone, I would like to add another plant sale and it is also one not hosted by a garden club.......

The Friends of the Manchester Animal Shelter (FMAS) is pleased to announce it's Fourth Annual Plant Sale at the shelter on 490 Dunbarton Rd, Manchester, on Saturday, June 5 from 8am to 1pm. Last year as our largest sale yet with over 2,000 perennials, annuals, herbs, shrubs, vegetables and houseplants available for purchase.

FMAS is a 501- c3 non-profit organization that provides
    critical medical care, food, shelter,and comfort to the stray and homeless animals of Manchester, NH. Last year we
    took in 1,300 cats and dogs and provided them with the care they needed before adopting them back out to loving homes.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Not all garden club plant sales get into the Federation list. Everyone should keep their eyes out for local club sales--posters in stores, the library, local newspaper.

I have gotten some of my best plants from these sales because I know they grow where I live and they didn't come from a mega-monoculture somewhere.

And all the money stays in the community with civic beautification etc.