Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs, when to plant out.

Posted by Persimmons 6b Southern Mass (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:44

I've purchased two herb plants from the local farm today. One, a pot of cilantro, looks vigorous and is about 4-6 inches tall. The other, a pot of rosemary, 4 healthy branches from one main trunk, about 6 inches tall.

When should I plant these directly into the garden? I've got them outside under the cold frame because the farm had them growing outdoors in their cold frame.

-Persimmons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs, when to plant out.

Call your local Extension office and ask them when the safe planting dates are for your particular location. It's a good idea to obtain that kind of information regionally.

o

I bought my cilantro a couple weeks ago when I bought my pansies. It's been outside in a pot on my front steps ever since. It survived the snow Wednesday no problem. In fact I just went out and cut some fresh leaves for guacamole this afternoon. FWIW I'm in MetroWest - pike/128.

I'd keep the rosemary in a bit longer. I don't think rosemary tolerates cold/frost.

o

Rosemary is a zone 7 perennial. It tolerates frost reasonably well.

o

Based on the above, I went ahead and planted both on the sunniest/warmest corners of my house. The cilantro seems to already be taking to the spot I've put it in, a nook next to a not-so-well looking golden thyme. Hopefully, the cilantro asserts itself in the bed and fills in the areas where the thyme died back this winter.

We'll see about the rosemary. I'm in 6b/Narragansett Bay area, I'm expecting it to live on into the summer. If it gets frosty enough to kill the rosemary then maybe it's a sign from Earth about something much graver.

o

Rosemary is not reliably perennial in Zone 7. I lost all my rosemarys this winter - of course the temps were way out of sync for a typical winter here. But even in "normal" winters I've had Rosemary's die. They are meditteranean in origin and like warm temperatures.
My thyme and Sage returned even after this brutal winter.
Lemon balm, which is invasive and grows like a weed, did not survive this winter.
A lot depends on the micro-climate where your plant is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here