Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeiger

CT Spring plant swap?

aeiger
13 years ago

Since I haven't seen any announcements I will get the ball rolling. Who is up for another Spring swap at the park in Monroe? Suggestions for dates and alternate sites are welcome.

Comments (87)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Marti, you may be right. I am planning on going, although I am not planning on taking anything home (yeah, go ahead, snicker all you want). I also really don't have much to bring except coneflowers, perennial foxglove, and maybe some hostas. I really was just going to see everyone!

Anyway, even though I plan on going, I agree that since several people may be driving far, it might not be worth it. So if we vote to hold off till fall that's fine for me. I'll go with the group decision.

Dee

• Linda Ricketts
    12 years ago

Yes! I came to the swap for the first time last year and loved it. If I don't have plants, what else should I bring?

Linda

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

We are two weeks behind where we usually are garden-wise and with all the rain, some people may not even be thinking about the swap yet. Just because there aren't online swaps going on doesn't mean that no one will show up. I suggest we wait until just before the swap and then take a poll. Maybe it just needs to be moved ahead a few weeks to June. Of course that would necessitate a change in venue. The year that the fall swap was canceled everyone seemed to regret it, so I wouldn't be too quick to write its obit.
    Deb

• elainect5
    12 years ago

Martha and I hope to come again from Litchfield area.

Marti, I would take all your hops! and some Egyptian onions........
    I can bring ironweed, malva and common milkweed for the Monarchs.

Carl. I would like the Chester blackberry and garlic chives, please.

My stuff here in Goshen is very slow so far. Would anyone like baby rhubarb plants? Does anyone have horseradish to share?

Thanks,
    Elaine

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Time to weigh in on the "To Be Or Not To Be" status of the swap. . .

First off, no need for anyone to concern themselves about my "expensive"
    drive from the Outback of Jersey. . .I'll take ANY excuse, at any expense to
    spend a few hours back in New England. . .it's tough being a Yankee-In-Exile,
    believe me!

Second, most of my plant offerings are already potted up, so I'll just wait
    for the final word from the "locals". . .

Marti: since we're not really committing ourselves to anytthing, is it
    reasonable for you to just go ahead and notify Wolfe Park that we're planning
    on being there the 15th?

Abi, Elaine and Marti: I have noted your requests, and told all your choices
    about their new homes in CT. . .the silphium promptly croaked. . .:>)

Ten days and counting!

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Carl... are you saying that your tough-as-nails silphium experienced such angst at the prospect of moving to beautiful, bucolic Connecticut and leaving [fill in the adjectives] New Jersey behind that it CROAKED at the very prospect?? Geez!

Seriously folks, I'm game for the swap but agree with Deb ... we should give it another week or so and then decide. Plus, of course, it might be a day like yesterday's torrential rains ... in which case, all bets are off. Looks as if there are a few more people chiming in so that's good -- maybe there are more out there who just haven't ventured out into their wet, chilly gardens yet! I hadn't called the park (such a pain to figure out even WHO to call down there!) but will try to do so tomorrow. It's not as if we're shelling out any money, so I agree with Carl -- I'll tell them we're coming and then if it turns out we don't, I'm sure it won't matter.

The hops are potted/bagged up and actually separated into several pieces in a couple of instances so I have more than the 4 original plants. I think there are several people interested so I will just bring them all (they are trying to climb right out of their pots/bags as we speak) and let those who want them divvy them up. (Honestly, I think you can plant a chunk of root and you'd have a plant zipping up the side of your house in no time...!)

(Leah -- tried to send you an email but it bounced. I've got you, Elaine, and perhaps mad_gallica maybe interested in the hops, but there are plenty to go around.)

I'm looking for ANY butterfly plants -- Dee, would happily take some of the coneflowers off your hands!

Hope this will be a go -- it's always such a fun adventure!

(WoodburyLinda -- just come and have fun! No need to have plants...)

Marty

PS: Also game for postponing to warmer weather if need be (frost advisory up here in Litchfield tonight!) ... we can always pick a state park somewhere that doesn't have the residency requirements/fees of Wolfe after Memorial Day. If we're a small enough group, we could also just meet at a house (happy to offer mine though I'm even a farther trek than Monroe for some people). Anyway, several options so let's give it another week and see. Lurkers ... PLEASE CHIME IN!

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

The 15th would work best for me but one week won't make a difference. How does the residence requirement work? I could get a friend in Monroe get a permit.
    I have so far:
    agastache 'blue fortune'
    campanula latifolia
    lysimachia ciliata 'firecracker'
    helianthus microcarpa (perennial sunflower)
    veronica spicata 'sightseeing'
    geranium oxonium 'walter's gift' (only as a groundcover)
    maybe other geraniums
    bee balm 'jacob cline'

I haven't been able to log in for awhile since I changed my email.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks Hedy, I've emailed the park and asked if we need to do more than just ask. In the past, there were no permit or fee requirements as long as it was before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. They just like to know we are coming and have asked us to tell them. We'll see if the rules have changed...

I would love to try the veronica and a bit of the "Walter's Gift" -- when you say as groundcover only is that because it stays low or because it sprawls every which way (like Rozanne!)? And is there a trick to growing veronicas? Can't tell you how many I've purchased, and they bloom beautifully the year I get them and it's downhill from there...!

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

The veronica just seems to grow. It's in full sun. The geranium really spreads. It's a pretty groundcover b it will take over a 'proper' border.

I also have beebalm 'jacob cline'
    inula helenium
    euphorbia robbiae

Hedy

• ego45
    12 years ago

As much as I want to see you all, I still don't know if I'm will be able to come on 15th, therefore I'm silent.
    I'll be monitoring this thread untill the last moment.

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Hey, he's alive, he's alive! Everyone would love to see you, I'm sure. . .
    thought of you the other day while I was dividing plants for the swap and
    realized that you are responsible for at least five major contributions to my
    garden. . .your legacy lives on. . .

And, George, as long as I have you on the line: remember that hydrangea that you had crossed yourself - you were doing a demo sometime last year at a swap - and handed out a few of them to some of us lucky volunteers who were supposed to grow them on at home. Well, the label I made with all the
    info got wiped out (erased) this winter under the snow. Could you fill me
    again on the specs of that hydrangea, and this time I'll log them onto my
    computer so that they can't get lost. . .thanks!

Carl

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

George, last swap you gave me a plant with deeply lobed foliage and said it spread. Do you know it's name?

I lost many of the 'baby' plants in my new shade garden but Carl, everything I got from you is doing wonderfully. I especially like the stephanandra.

Does anyone have corydalis or lamium?

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Hedy, I have lamium -- do you care what variety? Mine has lovely foliage and a yellow bloom.

George -- welcome back!! (I was beginning to think maybe you really HAD moved!) Hope you can make it (and I second Carl's comment, except that I think it must be a good HALF of my garden that has "George" roots -- that would be the half that's thriving!) In particular, you'll be happy to note that although a bit behind some of the others, your hydrangea cross (Tokyo Delight x Bluebird I think?) IS leafing out after its first winter in the ground.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Yay, George is among us! (well, on-line at least!) I was wondering where the heck you were! Nice to hear from you. And Happy Birthday!

:)
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Hedy -- is it possible that the plant you got from George was Anemone Tomentosa Robutissima? (I know I got some from him and I remember his saying it was a "thug" that would spread... though it really hasn't so far -- though it's early days yet! -- and is quite a lovely plant.)

• ego45
    12 years ago

Hedy, Marty is correct, I remember bringing to the swap A.tomentosa 'Robustissima'. If I'll come I could bring more, if anyone is interested.
    However, anyone could schedule a visit to my garden and dig as much as one wish to have.
    In a same cathegory of 'unlimited supply' is Ligularia 'Othello'.
    I also have a few nice seedlings of Ligularia przewalskii and L. stenocephala 'Rocket' which normally wouldn't freely self-seed. At least they never seeded in my garden for the last 7 years I grow them. This is the first time I see those babies.
    Re: Hydrangea crosses.
    I made two crosses: a)Tokyo Delight x Blue Bird and b)Lady in Red x Blue Bird.
    As per my recollection last year(2010) I brought to the swap LiR x BB (Marty named it Lady Bird :-))
    And a year before(2009) I brought TD x BB.
    So if you remember the year, you'll know what it is.
    If you don't, the major difference will be seen little bid later in a season, LiR x BB has a pink/redish coloration of leaves petioles and get red/burgundy sheen in a fall, while foliage of TD x BB has a green petioles and will not change color in a fall.
    Marty, I thought you have both of my crosses, one from the swap, another from the lecture :-)

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

It really doesn't look at all like my anemone. It seems to be a foliage plant. George I'd like either the ligularia przewalskii or the rocket. The ligularia britt marie crawford is doing well.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Hedy -- mine is just coming up but here's a photo if that's any help:

• aeiger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carl, I will take some of the blackberry and strawberry.
    Marty I always have room for cherry bells.
    Hedy, veronica and geranium. /Abi

• ego45
    12 years ago

Hedy, perhaps Ligularia tangutica (Sinacalia tangutica)?

• aeiger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hedy, Noticklish gave me a plant called alum or native heuchera. I looks like your description.

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

I think it's ligularia tangutica. If it blooms, I'll be able to tell. CTLady I'd love the lamium. I have to fill in some bare spots.

The forcast is for rain on Sunday.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Let's keep fingers crossed for nothing more than drizzle (it's early days yet!) I'll bring a clump of the lamium. Will also try to reach Wolfe park again -- sent an email, got an email back saying to call, called, left a message, etc. etc. They do NOT make it easy "to just let us know"!

Also, a personal note to CT gardeners (don't know if I can do this on GW or not??) -- did you know that "Plan B" for the state budget calls for the complete elimination of the CT Agricultural Experiment Station (all 67 positions), which has been serving both agricultural interests and home gardeners (soil testing, insect/disease analysis, etc.) in CT since 1875. Just thought I'd mention that it's on the chopping block if Plan B comes to pass...

/ Marty

• cat_delgado
    12 years ago

Hi, sorry I haven't had a chance to post until just now, the 15th won't work for me this year , I'm going to New Orleans!! YUMMMMMYYY, but I have been reading up on the post, if you get rained out and do it another date I should be able to make it, as usual I won't have alot for the swap becuase it's my garden's second year but I'll be happy to bring food :) Please, keep on chatting away it makes for great reading during down time, and I will definitely see you all for the fall swap if I miss this one!! Take care all and I'll see if the cajun cooking class I'll be taking while I'm down there will include a nice dessert dish I can make. Yall be good now!!
    LOL LOL

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Cat... we were in NOLA in November. Had SO much fun!! Eat at Mr. B's Bistro if you have a chance ... and Arnaud's (which might be more typical if you're not there as we were on the Sunday of a Saints home game -- man, do those folks get "into" it! Crazy!) but what a classic NOLA experience the place is. Do NOT bother with Commander's Palace if you're thinking of it -- it was one place (culinary-wise) I absolutely wanted to get to and it was such a HUGE disappointment!

Sure hope the impending flooding won't impact your trip... ENJOY!

• cat_delgado
    12 years ago

Hey ctlady, thanks so much for the info. I really did want to eat at the Palace since so many people said it's really good but now I'm worried, what was it that you didn't like? I hear the turtle soup is to die for LOL I'll definitely check out Aurnaud's though, and I'm dying for some Cafe du Monde Bignets. yummm, I've been watching the reports and so far New Orleans is okay but we'll see. :(

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Need a reminder as to what time the swap festivities commence
    on Sunday morning. . .

Thanks,

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

11 am ... will try the park again tomorrow. Got an email saying to call... called... left a message (no one at number I was to call)... asked for call back ... no call back... I say we just go and if they ask, we just say we contacted them.

Does look like "showers" on Sunday... what's our plan? I'm fine with misty on-off showers... steady rain, not so much.

• aeiger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marty would you like some Queen Anne's lace? Black swallow tail cats love em and so do green lacewings!

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Absolutely! Thanks Abi!

Did talk to the park people (finally!) today ... we're all set. Now let's hope Mother Nature cooperates.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

There IS a pavilion at the park, which we actually drive by to get to our spot. If it's really rainy, we may be able to meet there. I don't know if it needs to be booked or anything, but that might be an option. The very first GW swap I ever went to was under that pavilion one very rainy spring day...

Dee

• kanani
    12 years ago

I hope I'm not too late to join in... if there's room for me on Sunday, I'd love to come. At the least, I can bring:

asiatic lilies
    german irises
    threadleaf coreopsis
    bronze fennel
    beebalm
    silver artemesia
    white nancy lamium

Not sure what I'm looking for at the moment.

Kanani

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Not to worry Kanani -- there is ALWAYS room!!

I would love some of your white nancy lamium and the German iris (do you know what color they are?)

I am bringing ALL the hops because I have no idea at this point who wants some and who doesn't. I'll leave them in my car and people who are interested can figure out how to divvy them up.

Now for the important stuff: I think I am bringing red velvet cupcakes with a marscapone icing :)

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Kanani: save me a bronze fennel, please!
    Elaine: I'll take some ironweed. . .

The most current Sunday forecast for Monroe is for "a few scattered
    thunderstorms". . .come on, folks, you're Yankees! You can handle that!

Carl

• seb99 z 6a
    12 years ago

Wow, I finally succeeded in registering with the Garden Web. Some of you may remember me as the "Lurker" at the last Woodbury swap.

CTLady: I would much enjoy six of your Tansy plants as I find them to be a deer repelant.

Also, does anyone have started Johnny's "Defiant PhR" tomato plants? They're touted as being late blight resistant and I missed the boat in starting them in April.

Hope to see you all Sunday in Monroe,

Seb
    Master Gardener 1979
    Advanced Master Gardener 1980

• kanani
    12 years ago

Carl and Marty - you got it. (Marty, i think the irises are a pinkish-purple (mauve, perhaps?) and yellow)

And if they're still available, I'd love some of the following:

Hedy: Lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker' + Geranium 'Walter's Gift' (I have a weakness for purple foliage)

Carl: Purple Dome Aster + Solidago 'Fireworks' (my bees would love these!)

Kanani

• aeiger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well it looks like a go! I'd like fennel and lily & irises if any left. I am bringing solomon seal anf for Marty, QA lace. I have 3 colors of ajuga if anyone wants some and could spare some ferns. See ya Sunday.

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Yep -- I think we're on!

Seb, I have your tansy (these plants will turn into one humongous patch, hope you know!) I'm told they are not only a deer but an ant repellent, too ... planted around a foundation they keep ants away. No idea if that's true but happy to bring it (I got it from one of the first CT swaps I ever attended!)

I am also bringing the following:

Elaine: hops and Egyptian walking onions
    Leah (if she comes): hops
    mad_gallica (if she comes): hops
    Hedy: lamium
    Abi: Cherry Bells (finally!)

Carl... if you have an extra bit of the solidago, I'll take it ... don't go digging more at this point, just if you have it. I didn't look it up until now -- looks beautiful!

If I've missed anyone, let me know...

And George, yes, I have both your crosses. One (2010) is still in the nursery, the other (the 2009 cross) is what went into the ground last year... and has leafed out beautifully this spring after such a miserable winter! I will be curious to see how both do as the season wears on.

See you all Sunday! A reminder to new swappers who haven't been to Wolfe before: no dogs, no alcohol in the park.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it since I'm supposed to be giving garden tours at Vanderbilt on Sunday.

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

Right now it's pouring here. Anyone know what it's doing in Monroe?

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Not doing much up here in Woodbury at the moment (dripping). Weather.com shows a heavy area moving across CT but it's not too wide and there's a break (it looks like) behind it. I'm planning to go...

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Well okay ... pouring here too now, but the map looks promising and I think by 11, we should be in the "opening" that is behind this block of heavy stuff. I suspect Carl is enroute already (and driving through all this!) so unless he chimes in otherwise, I'm still planning to go -- just hoping this heavy downpour is over by the time I have to start out, another hour at least.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

It's kind of weird here, one town over from Monroe - no rain, then suddenly just a downpour for a minute, then it stops.... then it pours for a few mintues... then it stops... strange.

Yeah, I figured Carl was on his way already too. I'll be there, with my husband's rain coat and my muck boots, lol. Maybe we can snag that pavillion if its not in use...

Dee

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

Yeah, going straight to the pavilion at the end of the lake is probably the best bet. I'm sure we won't be displacing any picnickers! I'm bringing chicken salad. See you in a bit!
    Deb

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

It was great seeing everyone. How wonderful to see so many new faces too. So many dauntless swappers on a very dreary day! To all who weren't able to make it - you were missed! See you in the fall I hope - or maybe we will manage a summer get-together this year. (fingers crossed)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Yeah, great turn-out today, for such a dreary day! We sure did miss some of the regulars, but it was also nice to see so many new folks - new regulars, perhaps? :)

I didn't stick to my guns about not coming home with anything, but who can resist Hedy's sales skills, lol? Besides, it's all Carl's fault anyway....

It would be great if we could have a summer get-together. It's always fun to get together with the New England folks and talk gardening!

Thank you everyone for a great swap and for brightening up a dreary day!

Dee

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Great day in CT. . .now THAT is why is keep running away from NJ !
    Although the serious rain held off for most of the swap - and that
    pavilion is such a perfect layout - on my journey back south I
    encountered some torrential downpours. . .but, of course, it was
    all Dee's fault. . . :-)

Time to pot stuff up for the Fall swap. . .

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

It was a terrific swap -- I was astounded to see so many people, after thinking it might just be a brave few dodging the rain. Welcome newcomers!! We hope to see you all back for the Fall Swap (watch this thread come early September).

It was a damp but thoroughly enjoyable time -- thanks to all! I have a toddler's drinking cup that was left behind and which I brought home for safekeeping -- let me know if it's yours and how I can get it to you.

Hope everyone went right home and got those new plants in the ground to enjoy the WEEK of rain we have ahead.

Thank you all! And yes, let's get together for something fun this summer!

/ Marty

(who's got that group photo??)

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

I had a wonderful time. I'm glad I didn't wimp out- after all, if Carl could come...

I planted all but one. I said I didn't need anything but there was room for everything. My garden makes me smile- I planted the new hosta near the hosta I got from George, under the shrub I got from Sue, etc., etc.

Hedy

• Richard Dollard
    12 years ago

I finally potted up a bunch of stuff this weekend! Any chance for a late June get-together? Richie