Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Avant Gardens = Avoid Gardens!

bill_ri_z6b
13 years ago

What a disappointment and waste of my time and gasoline! First (and last!) time I will go there. A forty minute drive for me (from Providence) was no problem. The display garden areas were very nice, with a lot of little gems tucked away. But not ONE person said a word to me. No offer to help, to ask if I was finding what I wanted, nor to see if I had any questions. Add to that the fact that there were no prices on anything, and most things were unlabeled, while a large percentage of plants were red-tagged "stock plant - not for sale" or tagged "sold". So I couldn't find any of those little gems that I could buy for my garden. There were groupings of things (cold frames?) covered in plastic so I don't know if anything under the covers were for sale. What's the point? Even when we were near the front entrance looking at the borders, someone (owner?) walked by on her way into the front house there and barely looked at us, let alone ask if we'd found anything or had any questions!

Later, I went to The Farmer's Daughter in Wakefield, RI. Now THERE is a nursery! Many unusual plants in addition to the more common but useful things we expect to see. Everything is labeled and priced, and there are people there who actually ASK you if you need help. Or at least say "Hello." The layout is wonderful and very organized. Display areas are everywhere and well tended.

Now, which place do you think I will go to again?

Comments (7)