Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Anyone covering plants tonight?

It is supposed to pour all night after midnight too. Normally I'd throw a lot of towels and sheets and turned over pots, but I'm about out of pots and not so sure I want to soak everything in the house.

Not as worried about tonight down to 31 degrees, but tomorrow night with a 27 degree forecast, I most likely will make the effort.

Anyone else planning to cover plants?

Comments (10)

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    9 years ago

There's freaking SNOW weather alerts here! I was so enjoying the first week of spring here too :(
    I'm in southern VT, and all I have up are tiny shoots of perennials (daylilies, lily of the valley, ferns), so hopefully they will be ok. I probably raked out the leaf and debris natural mulch covering too soon. I still had snow piles this time 2 weeks ago, so I should have known better. I wish I'd been able to get mulch down before it snapped cold again, though. I've never had much luck with covering annuals, anything I cover them with seems to do more harm than good when I take it back off (like hay, sheet plastic, etc).

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

I did not and really wish I had..not worried about the stuff in the ground so much as i am worried about the stuff I wintersowed that has spouted.We had sleet here for about an hour this Am

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

Whoo hoo The sprouts made it. Everything else looks good to. The daffs are a little bent down but I think that is from the weight and they will recover/

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A good coating of snow on everything this morning. Snow that appeared frozen onto green leaves. Still very windy out there here, but sun is out and I can see snow melting off the garage roof already.

Tonight's forecast of 26 degrees followed by 28 degrees tomorrow night, seems a little more to be concerned about. That's not a frost, that's a freeze. I will be covering as much as I can before tonight and will bring in what can be brought in. Not sure that will do any good and probably nothing we can do about it.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

So, how did your early bulbs handle the snow?

• moliep
    9 years ago

I live along the CT coast and even we might get a freeze tonight. So I'm bringing in some potted plants that I've not yet put into the ground and some pansies that I haven't planted.

I won't be covering any plants that have been "living" outside in the gardens.

I'm ready for the spring I love to arrive!
    Molie

• boston3381
    9 years ago

1/4 Arce of sunflowers planted last week and praying they don't pop up this week!!!...

my cold greenhouse with no heat full of perennials and herbs mostly mints, sage, thyme and a hand full of mums...just went down there and added remay cloth and a small house heater and some box fans.

I also just bumped my heated greenhouse to 60* now I get to spend the night watching the oil tank get sucked dry..

this is crazy last year we were planting in the ground on the first of April..

I have over 300 hanging baskets that haven't moved in 6 weeks!! look the same the day I planted them!!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ed, My daffs were all looking a little worse for wear with some bending down to the ground and flowers facing down. Hyacinths are not up yet, so were unaffected. Crocus were almost ready to lose their flowers in some places and the snow finished them off.

We went out and covered everything tonight. They might have done fine without it, but I felt better to give them a little extra help. Took an hour to do it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boston3381, wow, what a big job you have!! I hope once we get past the next couple of days, that will be the end of it. Sounds like what you are doing should do the trick in keeping things safe. Why take a chance on doing less when you have that much invested. Good luck!

• asarum
    9 years ago

Boston3381, it is nice to hear from you! It puts home gardener concerns into perspective.