Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

sat.june 18, hold the date!

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Hello Gardeners,

It came to a choice between Saturday June 4 and Saturday, June 18. Out of courtesy to another person who has an annual swap, I ruled out the 11th.

I think I remember that in early June some divisions are still pretty small. I don't think it will be too hot on the 18th. Rain date on Sunday June 19.

If every high school in MA is having graduation that Saturday and so are the weddings we can look again. But let's just make a go of it.

As it gets closer and we start confirming numbers and food and sending out directons I'll start a new thread so people won't have to read a lot of posts to get to the most current information. Making sense?

Getting excited! Marie

Comments (111)

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Terrene,

I don't have any veggies, but I have an extra pot of Dill seedlings if you want them .

Blake

• terrene
    12 years ago

WG - I will take some Phlox David if you have extra and it's not too much trouble for your back (not a dire need!).

Blake - I would love your pot of Dill, if it's extra. I do have a few Dill seedlings, but raise Black Swallowtail butterflies and can't have too many host plants. Also, see link below which is a google search of the 'Firecracker' plant, is that your plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lysimachia Firecracker

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    12 years ago

OK Terrene. No problem.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't even bought tomatoes yet. Anyone wanting to offload extras or basil has a taker here,
    Please make sure your gweb personal page has your email contact. I'm planning on mailing out my contact information tonight. I suggest you also use google directions just so you get the most efficient directions from your location. My directions will be for the local end of the trip so you can find the house.

We'll have a wrap up of the food list towards the end of the week. Here's a request: If you don't have time or the desire to cook/buy or just like to organize things, perhaps you'd review all the refreshments and put them in one post: Organize it anyway that makes sense. This will serve as a reminder and we'll see what needs to be filled in.

Thanks,
    I'm checking at least once a day now.
    Marie

Thanks to anyone who comes forward. I appreciate it.

Marie

• wispfox
    12 years ago

terrene: just pulled some coreopsis for you from the sidewalk. If it's looking happy Friday, I'll bring it to you. Otherwise, I'll pull one from an actual soil-full location with more root structure. :)

And thank you _so_ much for bringing me a cardinal flower! I know it's good for hummingbirds, and while I'm glad that I have my own seedlings, I'd love to have one flower this year.

Based on your picture of the Lysimachia Firecracker, I'm pretty sure that I have some that I could bring. It hasn't flowered yet, so I'm not positive, but the rest looks right. It's hanging out with my Artemesia gold variegated, which are pretty neat looking together! So if Blake doesn't have that, I could bring you some.

I have three pepper plants; I could bring one along, if you like. (bell pepper, probably red, maybe yellow)

whitegarden: just potted up some L-o-v, and potted up 5 different spirea japonica from my sidewalk. It needed to not be there, and this should mean that at least one will be happy for you (and if anyone else wants some, it'll be there!). One of the 5 is a different leaf color (darker), and has a lighter pink flower. It was initially growing with one of the more common ones in my yard, and they looked nice together. They _are_ bushes, though, which is part of why I wanted them not on my sidewalk!

Marie: I have a bunch of tomato plants that didn't go for our local garden club's sale; I can bring you some! I'm sure they'd prefer to be less crowded anyway. :)

Suzanne

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi Marie, I have an extra 3-pack of basil, and a cherry tomato seedling called 'Chocolate Cherry' and can bring those for you. Did you want curly or flat parsley?

Wispfox, the coreopsis sounds good, and either from you or Blake I would like the Lysimachia (even a little) at the google page. Also, a bell pepper would be great! I winter-sowed mild chile peppers a few years ago and they turned out pretty good. I would have started more veggies from seed this year except I got working on the veggie garden late, and am still working out the spacing. Next year I'll do more.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

I have basil,oregano,sage fennel dill egg plant toms,dianthus,petunia,coloeus,dusty miller
    I do have Hosta

And you all know I will take any perennials you are willing to share

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hi Terrene,

Yes, that looks like my plant. So I will bring you some. I was planning on bringing six would that be enough?

Ontheteam,if you have extra of Basil, petunia and hosta I could use all that. Is there anything on my list that you would like?

Blake

• wispfox
    12 years ago

ontheteam, I'd be interested in petunia and dusty miller!

• PRO
    12 years ago

ontheteam, I'd love some coleus.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Blake I do not see your list..

wispfox:purple or fuchsia spiderwort
    spirea japonica

Iris Immortality -
    Phlox David - white
    Lamb's ear
    Alchemilla Mollis
    Chives - TONS!
    Artemesia variegated gold

Tereene
    Digitalis purpurea 'Apricot Beauty'
    Silphium perfoliatum
    Rudbeckia triloba
    Trumpet Vine
    Hosta 'Blue Angel' very blue, does great in full shade
    Miscanthus 'Gracillimus

And DO have a nice flat of yellow marigolds for you

The Loblia is blue wisp sorry,
    And I know I look like a greedy SOB here.. So for those who may not know.. I do a plant sale for 20 plus days in May to benefit Childrens Hospital in Boston. Hence my need for LOTS of perennials. So what ever you can give me a lot of in one shot is awesome. anything under 3 I end up growing it on here myself for seeds or division to use int eh next years.
    And.. If any one just wanted to keep the seedlings and grow things on to donate to me in May 2012 or 2013 I can provide large pots 1qt to 1 gal) I have 3 40 foot hoops I over winter stuff in...And I may need 2 more! YIKES.
    I'd like to build those just to do hangers but at this rate I'll need them to hold all these lovely seedlings! WHOOT.. such a dilemma hu>?

Here is a link that might be useful: plant sale blog

• PRO
    12 years ago

OTT - I think my plants are pretty much taken up at this time but I will see if there are any extras.

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Onthe team,

I can dig up some more loofstrife firecracker for you or your plant sale. People seem to be attracted to the foliage so I think it will sell well. I can also bring you some scarlet, red Rose campanions. They are a traditional cottage plant that blooms midsumer throughout the fall if you deadhead. The blossoms are stunning, especially in mass. THe plant self seeds but not invasively, it is asy to pull up the seedling if you don't want them or have a more formal garden. I have a cottage garden so I let them grow whereever they are. But eveyone who visits me usually whats one before they leave. So its good for me to have an ample supply of them! I have a fever few plant that i could share. I also could dig up some chives. Let me know if any of this interests you.

Blake

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Hi all -

I'm still planning to come, if I possibly can; a recent family illness may keep me at home on Saturday.

I'll just bring some of my more unusual perennials, some of which self-sow a bit and some of which can be divided fairly easily. I actually think it's more fun to bring surprises, and not have everything pre-arranged, anyway.

Hope to see you all there! Marie, please include me in the list for your address, which I may have somewhere, but can't find.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Blake - I will take at least 2 or 3 pots of the Firecracker, or more if no one else wants it.

OTT - yippie on the Marigolds. I would also like some Dianthus if available. Okay for the plants on your list, plus I have some Monarda Claire Grace for you.

DTD hope to see you on Saturday. The oakleaf hydrangea and Filipendula rubra you gave me at the swap I hosted 3 years ago are doing great!

• PRO
    12 years ago

OTT,I made a summary of everyone's requests and I think you asked for the same things twice. Consequently, I think I have enough for everyone. I am going to do some more dividing tomorrow and see if my back holds up. The iris could be a mother load!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Marie, Can you please email me your address as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. I sent you an email but I noticed in a post above you mentioned your email address changed. I used your email address in my personal address book so maybe it no longer works!

Not sure what I am bringing yet for plants.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

If you arranged a trade with me..or want to please check out the new thread I started so I do not screw up again..Sorry Whitegarden

• PRO
    12 years ago

No worries OTT. I'm just glad I will have enough for everyone.

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

I'm a bit late but would love to come. I'm in the process of moving things in my garden so not sure what I'll have to bring. I know I have Hosta Mint Julep - it's fairly large and grows fast. Also probably Astilbe (no name) and Lady Fern. And others - just not sure which.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

S Angelo, BlakeTaylore,
    Your gardenweb pages do not have your email addresses, so I can't send you my contact information. Let me know when you've filled it in, and I'll send you the information.
    Marie

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ejr,
    I sent the directions. Glad you will be joining us!
    Marie

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hi Marie,

I had sent you an email giving you my email address Let me know if you gt it. I don't know how to add it to my Garden web page. Please look for my email in your spam department in case it got knoecled in there.

Blake

• jillyluis
    12 years ago

How wonderful! I just stumbled across this thread. I'm very excited.

Plants I'd like if still available (although I know its kind of the last minute, and I may have lost track of some things through the thread)
    Marie geranium spessart and Japanese Grasses: plain gold and gold with stripe; and thalictrum
    Terrene: do you have salvia left (either type looks great)
    OTT: alyssum and/or lobelia would be lovely

Plants I can bring
    White digitalis
    creeping phlox, bright pink
    day lilies: happy returns
    burgundy coral bells
    ferns...look like ostrich ferns to me but only grow to 2 feet tall or so for me
    Some plain hostas (They are little and cute, growing from seeds)
    Bleeding heart (the one that is all pink and gently self sows)
    A few dill plants
    lily of the valley

Plants I would LOVE to give away, but I'm eight months pregnant and these would be dig your own. I live in Lexington too, I'm guessing five minutes from where Marie lives so maybe it will work out.
    hosta guacamole and the reverse color (don't know the name) I believe I have two of each and they are really pretty big
    Two good sized montauk daisies
    Giant shrub rose (light pink)
    2 forsthia, also giant and in need of hedge trimmers
    some beautiful but out of control climbing roses (not for the faint of heart!) (the smallest is light pink the rest are a pretty dark red with a crimson tone)

Thanks!

• PRO
    12 years ago

JILLY,

I would love the digitalis. I just started a new shade garden and am willing to give them another try. Haven't had much luck with them in the past. Coral Bells would be great too.

I have a couple of large phlox "David" and could pot up more. Also, I am sure I will have a bunch of iris immotality rhizomes for the taking. Look at my list above and tell me if there is anything else you would like. This afternoon will be my last shot in the garden as I am in Boston all day tomorrow.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi EJR and Jilly, welcome aboard!

Jilly, there should be some Salvia for you, as I ended potting 2-3 seedlings in 3 inch pots and have 6 pots. I would love some of the Daylily Happy Returns and burgandy Coral bells, if you have enough.

OTT, I am going to check out your other thread...

Marie, no email yet, have you sent them out?

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Ok call me paranoid BUT.... I would NOT be posting my town and the fact that I am 8 mo PG on line. We feel very safe with each other here but Who knows who is lurking.....
    As for plants I am interested in :
    White digitalis
    creeping phlox, bright pink
    day lilies: happy returns
    burgundy coral bells
    ferns...
    Bleeding heart
    lily of the valley

dig your own. IDK if I can do it this weekend..but can make arrangements to come back with my sons who can help me dig
    hosta guacamole and the reverse color (don't know the name)
    Two good sized montauk daisies..this I MUST have LOL..
    Giant shrub rose (light pink)

I have a separate thread listing my trades Please check it out. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: ontheteam swaps

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At this point, I think people should feel free to "pass" on listing what they have and just come! I don't want latecomers or people who have run out of time to feel like they need to be outside at midnight digging.

List if you want. But also feel free to come with whatever is at hand, even if it's deviled eggs or donuts in compost.

No one will have to take back plants they've dug. Leave them here and I'll make sure they get to good homes.

mt

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Onthe team

I can bring you some liliy's of the valley

Blake

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Ida... You rock..and you are right..I am bringing enough plants that if someone can not bring any there will be enough to go around.

I am out of loblia and alyssum sorry..
    and Blake LOV would be awesome!
    As far as getting to a good home... ahem.... cough cough,,

and has anyone heard from Marlene?!! I have her Canterbury bells from the Billreca swap

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jill, just don't post your due date! You'll be fine!
    Marie

• terrene
    12 years ago

Okay, just dug up a few divisions of the Blue Hosta for OTT. Also a couple little catnips - anybody got cats?

I think things are all potted up at this point. If not, oh well...I'm potted out. :)

Idabean, what about food? Anything I can bring?

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Blake: homebaked cookies
    Whitegarden: coffee. Decaf or regular or both?

I couldn't find any other mentions of food. Did I miss anything?

I'm likely to bring some tasty cookie-like things from Whole Foods that I bought yesterday on impulse. :)

• PRO
    12 years ago

I'll bring a box of decaf with cups creamers and sugar. OR I could bring a cooler with ice and a few of bottles of cold drinks. Which do you think is better?

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

EVERYONE: How many people want coffee? If not many need hot coffee, let's just concentrate on cold drinks. If the temp is really cold, we'll dispatch someone to pick up a Dunkin Donuts carton. DD is 5 minutes from here.

MARIE: I have paper plates, cups, napkins, forks.

NAMETAGS: If you have stick on nametags please bring. I've got sharpies.
    HOT CUPS: we'll need these.

Whitegarden: If you still have time to do the cooler, ice and the cookies, great.

Drinks: Do a few people have time to pick up the big bottles of Snapple, lemonade, whatever you want? We probably need 5 altogether.

Food: buy or bake some treats, fruit salad, deviled eggs

There's always enough to eat. Gardeners must eat, right? So bring what you can and it will be appreciated (and consumed)

I must stop weeding.
    Marie

• terrene
    12 years ago

I have some name tags. Will bring.

• PRO
    12 years ago

I can bring my and some ice. I hadn't offered cookies but could easily bring some. Will do.

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hi Terrene,

I got four cats.

Blake

• terrene
    12 years ago

We probably don't need hot coffee, tomorrow is supposed to be warmer than today. I can pick up a few bottles of Seltzer, soda, whatever, on the way. What do people want? I like the flavored seltzers, occasional diet Coke.

Blake, your cats will love the catnip! If anybody else wants some, I can pot a couple more seedlings (about 3-4 inches).

What time does the swap start?? I know it must be up there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Hey Everyone! I'm a bit of a late entry but here's what I'm bringing. Marie, I picked up a half gallon of lemonade and a dozen mini-muffins. Will also bring cold cups. Can't seem to find my hot cups though?

Here's the list of plants. They're all fairly small.
    2-Alchemilla mollis Lady's Mantle
    1-Delosperma floribunda (ice plant) 'Stardust'
    2-Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko'
    1-Mexican Heather (annual)
    2-Stachys hummelo
    2-Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'
    1-Agastache 'Blue Fortune'
    4-Astilbe 'Color Flash'
    2-Native ginger
    1-European ginger
    2-Cimicifuga 'Brunette' (I think..they're very dark)
    2-Sedum 'Angelina'
    1-Hibiscus (red)
    1-Amaranthus 'Autumn Pallette' (annual)
    1-Callicarpa (beautyberry)
    1-Rose of Sharon (white w/burdungy eye from seed)
    1-Sedum sieboldii (with an oenothera tagging along)
    1-Japanese painted fern
    3-wildflower seed boxes (covers 100 sq ft)
    1-seed packet Lunaria
    1-seed packet Hesperis
    1-seed packet Nicotiana
    1-box of mosquito repellant punks (they really work!)

I haven't really thought about any plants I'd like to trade for. Honestly, I just finished planting a gazillion plants I started from seed in the ground so if I don't take any plants home I'd be OK w/that!! Just looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great time with fellow gardeners!

If anyone wants me to put anything aside for them just let me know. Marie, as the hostess I'd love to put aside a few things that you might especially like from the list if you see anything.

See you all tomorrow!
    Susan

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Oh, boo hoo, I'm not going to make it, my DH just isn't feeling better enough for me to be taking a day trip several hours away.

Have a GREAT time, all - I know you'll all be inspired by Marie's garden, and the day will be a lot of fun. Post lots of photos, please!

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

I'll bring Diet Coke and a couple of small Seltzers. And some Ginger Lemon cookies. And maybe blueberries. I also have hot cups.

I have a gift card from Dunkin Donuts and can go for coffee if it's wanted.

So far my plants are:

Hosta Mint Julep (for Marie?)
    Creeping phlox (pink) for OTT
    Unnamed plant (anemone?) with pretty green foliage and white spikes in the fall
    Lady fern
    A dark Heuchera

I'm also bringing some large black plastic rubbermaid garbage cans w/covers in case anyone wants them.

If I get up early enough I'll dig up some:

Meehan's Mint (Meehania cordata)
    Campanula (about 3' tall w/purple flowers)
    Grass w/blue flowers in June
    Ostrich fern (if anyone is interested)

I try to be good with names but some of these were here when I moved in, given to me, lost tags, etc.

I'm going to try not to bring too much home (you know how that goes), but would be interested in:

Japanese painted fern
    Montauk Daisies
    Chives
    Digitalis purpurea "Apricot Beauty"

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your food contributions!

I have a favor to ask. My garden will not look this good again until the next swap. Seriously. I would appreciate it if people or someone took pictures so I can have a record of what a weeded garden looks like. Also, I've never posted pictures of my garden, and I think its time!

The batteries are dead in my camera, and not only am I lousy photographer, I don't like take taking pictures.

I think our food and plant lists are as complete as we'll get them.

See you shortly,
    Marie

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Someone asked:
    10:00 set up, meet and greet and eat
    Start swapping at about 10:30

• terrene
    12 years ago

EJR, if you have any time in the morning, I would love some of the "grass with blue flowers" - Sisyrinchium!

Marie sounds like you've done a lot of work on the gardens. I'm bringing a camera, hope there's a bit of sun in the morning for some good photos.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Thanks Marie for a truly wonderful swap! I accidentally left my cooler and need to get that back. Please email me with when you might be around this week, or you can just leave it out one day if I think I will be in the vicinity.

WG

• terrene
    12 years ago

Thank you Marie! I had a great time and am thrilled with the plants. It was a nice group of people and your gardens looked beautiful.

From a quick glance, it looks like I got 5 or 6 nice pictures of your garden. I'll try to get them posted to Flickr.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WG
    No matter what day you come, I can leave the cooler on the patio. That is not visible from the street. I begin a new job this week, and don't know what my schedule is. But it should work out in any case.

Marie

• PRO
    12 years ago

Okay Marie. Thanks again! I came home to my garden and now I only see the "holes" that need to be filled or need to fill in.

WG

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Yay, thanks so much for hosting and for the tour of your garden! Had a fabulous time. The weather helped, too. ;)

Suzanne