Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpearson

Vegetable starts?

scpearson
12 years ago

Hello New Englanders,

I just planted some peas in my vegetable garden today (NE CT). Is it too early for green string beans?

Last year I didn't plant them until May, but I wonder if anyone would suggest starting the first crop this early.

What other vegetables do you have luck with this early?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice.

Susan

Comments (5)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

So far I've planted peas, spinach, radishes and lettuce. I'll probably drop by a garden center and pick up some pak choi to plant this week.

The only other veggie I plant from seed is a white pattypan squash. I'm hoping to find the seeds this week and get them planted. I will plant those in pots, which I will put on my 3 season porch. I will cover those pots, or bring them in the house if we expect frost.

I plant peas and beans in the same raised bed. I plant my first batch of peas in late March. When I start harvesting peas, typically mid to late May, I then plant my beans. By the time the peas are done producing, my beans have sprouted. I pull out the peas and give the beans room to grow. Then in late August, I plant a second planting of peas.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Beans need warm soil to germinate well, and at least around here would rot since the soil is too cold and damp. They aren't tolerant of any frost, so you need to wait until all frost danger is over.

Peas and potatoes as well as garlic (if you didn't plant it last fall) are all OK now. I've put in various greens and parsley plants relatively early also. I'll probably plant my peas the end of this week.

For next year look into getting a catalog from Johnny's Selected Seeds which has charts that show the germination rates of each general kind of seeds at different soil temperatures. (I also like supporting a small relatively local business that grows seeds that do well in New England.) I checked their website, but didn't find the germination info there that's in the printed catalog.

• aloha10
    12 years ago

Bush and pole beans don't germinate very well until the soil temperature reaches 60 degrees F. This doesn't happen in our area of coastal MA until late May. I have a neighbor who starts a few weeks earlier but my seeds not only catch up to his, but have better germination and grow better. Don't rush the beans. Even Peas benefit from planting a bit later than is the common practice in New England. That's my experience, anyway (70 years gardening and farming). Happy planting.

• scpearson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your valuable advice! I admit that because I am planting a lot more from seed this year,
    I am so anxious to get them in the ground, but of course, I don't want to be disappointed with plants damaged by frost/cold.
    I appreciate your time and suggestions.
    Susan

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Dear Conticut,

Wow 70 years gardening and farming.... You could write a book. Have you? Please come to Annie's NH swap during the first weekend of June. You will love it and we will love you. We love old timers with all of their wisdom and gardening smarts. Check out the posting that sez Annie's Swap. Have you ever been to it?
    Debra