Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some decisions on plantings so far-negotiation question

Posted by phylhl 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 19:58

I had someone from a local nursery come and recommend some plantings for our beds and front of house. Mix of boxwoods, andromeda, PJM rhododendron, mountain laurel to name most.

They also have quoted doing the work.

Does anyone have experience in negotiating better than retail prices on the shrubs?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some decisions on plantings so far-negotiation question

I would say, just don't limit yourself to one nursery. Choose three recommended nurseries and get quotes from all. And use the lowest bids to negotiate a lower bid with others if you need to. Or ask if they have smaller stock and be willing to wait for it to grow in. Some places will also rebate the cost of installation if you purchase all the material at their nursery. You might ask Weston Nurseries, although they are usually pretty expensive for plant materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here