Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

Abuse of Forums

diggingthedirt
13 years ago

There is a mechanism for removing inappropriate posts from the forum. If for example someone posts a political tirade that you find offensive, you can click on the link "contact us" which opens a form. You just select "Report Abuse of our Forums" in the "nature of message" drop-down menu, provide a link to the offensive post and a short description of the nature of the problem, and hit the submit button.

Not that there's necessarily anything offensive on this board at the moment, I'm just mentioning this, in case you happen to come across anything you think is inappropriate.

Comments (12)

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Hi Nan,
    and where is "contact us?" can't seem to locate it.
    m

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Marie -

Go to the very bottom of the main page of the New England Forum. There is a green band with various iVillage & GW links. The fartherst right one is 'Contact Us'.

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Just curious, and not for any particular reason, mind you, but are you able to report one particular post as inappropriate to the topic of this board, or do you have to report a thread in it's entirety?

Lisa

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information, DTD. I'll hold on to it if I ever need it.
    mt

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think they just remove whole threads, Lisa, unless they've updated their technology.

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle it appears GW has updated their technology to remove a post within a thread!!!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

They've been removing posts within a thread for a while - I've used that contact link many times to report advertising on different forums. GW usually gets them out quickly, leaving the rest of the thread intact. If you noticed, there were a few old threads that were resurrected recently, but with no recent post attached. That's because an advertiser resurrected the thread and their post was removed.

For historical interest, way back in the time of Spike I emailed him concerning a thread where a certain person was carrying on a very contentious argument and the response was heated. I asked Spike to take a look and decide whether he should take some sort of action. Spike emailed me that in that case he thought the forum was handling it well and he'd prefer we deal with it.

Since then I've reported advertising immediately, but tried to defang trolls when they appear.

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Does anyone remember the expression we used when Spike was around? Something like being sent "to Oz?"
    Glad to know something works without Spike!
    I think I might have been sent once. It was strange to suddenly not exist.
    mt

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

When you were bad enough to be banned from the site you were sent to Disney when you tried to access GardenWeb. Then you had to beg your way back in.

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooh, Cloud_9, I was wondering where you were - not Disney, I presume. Nice to "see" you back here!

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Actually I was in your neck of the woods. The kids were on vacation and we were on the Cape. Didn't you see me wave to you as we drove up Rt. 6?

Spike did send me to Disney once and the details are very clearly etched in my mind. Boy did I have to grovel to get back. Very pathetic. Now if I had been sent to Oz maybe I wouldn't have minded - IF I could have my own flying monkey henchmen. I always wanted those! And I could always use them for good every once in a while by siccing them on forum abusers. Not that I know what we are all talking about here since it was gone before I saw it, but if you can't sic flying monkeys on forum abusers, what good are they? Doesn't matter, I still want them.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Deb, I'd like to sic a flying monkey on ivillage! (I'd better be careful or I'll be sent to the ivillage equivalent of Disney!). But seriously, lately (last few months) I've been getting a certain pop-up when I visit GW. I never get pop-ups EVER except here on GW, and this one is a doozey. It not only freezes my computer for a few moments till it pops up, but lately it's been been freezing my computer to the point where I have to restart. (And it's an ivillage-sponsored pop-up - has ivillage in the address)

Recently (over the winter) there was a thread wondering why people don't post as often anymore. For me, that darn pop-up is definitely a reason - it's a reason I don't even visit the forums as much anymore, because they freeze my computer. So I basically check out the forums at the end of the day, when if my computer crashes I just shut it off.

Okay, I'm done venting. Sorry to get off-track everyone. It's just that image of the flying monkey got me all fired up....

:)
    Dee