Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singleton165

small flower garden inspiration wanted

singleton165
12 years ago

Hello All! I've been tasked with creating a small garden off a friend's back deck. It's 3x4ft on one side of the steps and 4x4 on the other side of the steps. I've got the other sides of the deck covered...they are shaded so they will be bleeding hearts and hosta.

I'd appreciate it if some of you could post pictures of your small spaced gardens for inspiration.

Thanks,

Tara

Comments (9)

• singleton165
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far I have a small yellow rose to work with. I've amended with compost so far and will check out local nurseries this weekend to see what they have out and to start a list. I hope my friend doesn't expect a beautiful garden right away...it's too early.
    I do plan on adding annuals for immediate color and as fillers, although I will start out with larger perennials than I would use in my own garden...I don't mind waiting a few years, but I don't think she wants to.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I am guessing that not many people have a small garden to post photos of. Two beds that are 3x4 and 4x4, are pretty small. I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps a starting point would be for you and/or your friend to decide on a theme or a style of planting you would like to end up with? Like a hummingbird garden, or butterflies, or a prairie style.

Your question did remind me of a post I saw not too long ago on the Perennials forum that had photos posted of a pretty small garden. See if this helps....

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Renovation

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Tara,
    I have lots of shade beds but all of them are much larger than those spaces. I can say that combining Hosta with differently textured plants gives you a nice combination. However you need to be careful of the size of the Hosta you select. Once plant of Sum & Substance or even Elegans would eventually take up that entire space.

I would suggest you look at small plants like Hosta June. H. June is the most popular Hosta on the AHS popularity list with good reason. It's a beautiful blue/green variegated variety. For contrast look at another small plant like H. Rainforest Sunrise, the most recent Hosta of the year. It's a small gold and green variegated variety.

Here are some pictures of Hosta combined with differently textured plants.

This is Hosta Olive Branch, with Japanese Maple 'Shaina'. The little gold one in the lower right corner is Hosta Maui Buttercups. Note how the texture of the JM works well with the smoother ovate leaves of the Hosta.

This next photo is from the Cochato Nursery display garden in Holbrook, MA, a good place to go for inspiration. This is Hosta On Stage (a slow grower) with two different Astilbe. The texture contrasts between the larger Hosta leaves and the Astilbe flowers and foliage works really well. Also the color combos work well here. I've seen this done with red Astilbe as well.

Hope that helps.

Steve

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Singleton - Is the part for which you want suggestions on plants in shade or sun or some mix?

• paigect
    12 years ago

Those are some pretty small spaces. I got the impression this was a sun, or part sun, situation? A couple of questions: do you need tall plants that will be seen from the deck? How tall is the deck, and thus how tall do the plants need to be?

In a garden this size it is tough to attain full summer interest without annuals. In a 3x4 space, you really have space for three or four plants at most, unless you are going to keep them thinned out. I would consider going with a small flowering shrub on each side. Alternatively, I would pick a season and make the most of it. So, for a spring garden, one peony, one bearded iris and maybe some lady's mantle, with some annuals in any extra space in the beginning. For a late-summer/fall garden, black eyed susans and daisies. I wouldn't try to achieve full summer flowering with different perennials, there just isn't enough space.

Good luck!

• singleton165
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all!
    I have quite a few hostas myself, so will use smaller ones with a variety of color...thanks for the reminder, though!

Most of the area is full sun. There is more full sun area on one side of the deck (her condo is an end unit) that I'll put a shrub...I was thinking of a vibernum for the flowers and nice shape.

There's a small yellow rose on one side, so will find something taller to put behind it. I think a peony or two would work well, the foliage would look nice behind a blooming rose in the summer. I need an accent for the other side of the stairs, and would like to put a clematis in but will need to make sure she doesn't mind it being as high as the deck railing. Oh, the deck is two feet off the ground, but taller plants can go on the side of it.

I took pictures the other day, but must not have saved them properly on my phone. Grrr.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Most (all?) viburnums get way too big for that spot. And viburnums don't mind a bit of shade. They certainly don't need full sun.

Peonies are great for one-two weeks and then nothing much the rest of the season -- although clean trouble-free foliage usually. If you just need it for the backdrop, sounds good.

If she likes roses, good 'ole knockout roses might work.

Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy' would provide a nice variegated foliage. Very sweet plant for up close. Blooms late season very small blue flowers.

Daylilies in front.

A Rose of Sharon might work there. It can get bigger in time, but it takes to pruning real well. I prune mine down to about 3' x 3' every other year. If the end of the 4' space is open or closed would make a difference.

Or, a perennial hibiscus for a tropical look. It likes full sun and well-watered. Being so close to the steps, watering should be easy.

A tall item might be a clematis on an obelisk.

Some ideas fwiw

• singleton165
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wendy, Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy' is beautiful (just looked it up), it's on the list!
    A viburnum would on the "extended" plan...not in the small beds near the steps. There's an area on the side of the condo that has a large lilac at the corner of the house, and a large bare spot before the porch. I figured that would give a little privacy for the grill she wants to put near there, without obstructing any views.

• singleton165
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided that the Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy' wouldn't be a strong enough backdrop for this little rose.
    Ruled out dwarf Joe Pye Weed because it likes wet feet, and Manarda (a tame variety) attracts bees. I saw a couple beautiful Gaura 'Passionate Blush,' but they are only hardy to Z6 (should have known better than to check out the big box stores!). Phlox attracts bees as well, and being right next to the porch is a no go.
    I'm still searching for a couple plants for that one spot!
    My friend picked out a Clematis 'Roguchi' (purple bells)for the centerpiece on the other side of the stairs than the rose.
    So far we've got: purple, yellow, white, pink, red, and a few Blue Fescue mixed in. I can't wait to see it!