Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

brrr... kinda cold...

WendyB 5A/MA
13 years ago

I just ran out and grabbed my coleus pots that I am hardening off (a bit early I know). My thermometer said 35 and its only 10:00.

I might even bring them in from the garage to the warm house.

I hope no tender foliage or buds get nipped. I have had problems in the past with my manchurian maple foliage getting wrecked.

Comments (8)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

We had snow all day, but less than an inch accumulation. My started annuals in their pots stayed on the back (glassed-in) porch all day. I'm almost wondering if they should come inside the hou*se tonight.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

It was 34 degrees on the back porch in the night, but was already up to 38 degrees by breakfast. I haven't been out yet, but from the window everything looks okay. I didn't have any plants that had to be dragged in, which was nice. 14 inches of snow in parts of Vermont, ouch!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Kinda cold? I was freezing my butt off yesterday evening, lol!

The forecast didn't call for frost, but then again it said it was 50 degrees in the late afternoon/early evening and I just didn't think so. It felt a lot colder than that. I went out and threw a blanket over my WSown containers for the night. Better safe than sorry.

A co-worker told me it was supposed to get up to 83 in a few days. This weather is crazy...

:)
    Dee

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My min-max thermometer says it was 30 degrees at 1:00 am. Hope nothing minded. I think 28 is the more damaging number.

I brought my coleus pots in the house. Even the garage was 36.

The weather guys didn't say anything.

I also didn't fertilize my lawn day before because they were so wishy-washy about us getting rain or not. spotty showers is the best they could come up with, yet we got some decent rain eventually.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I brought in all the pots that had seedlings popping their heads up out of the earth, but left the other pots that haven't sprouted out on the back porch. Glad I did because it was 32 degrees F on the enclosed porch this morning, and probably colder just before dawn.

I'm in south central vermont, so we have just a covering of snow, although it's still falling and supposed to continue throughout the day. I don't envy our neighbors in the northern parts of the state with 12-18 inches. It's hard to believe that it will be sunny and 80 F in a few days, and we'll be mowing the lawn.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

We have gone way past "kinda" and are now into full-scale "wicked" cold. I just put the trash and recycling out and took a stroll around the garden. Little plant arms reached pathetically out to me. Fortunately, all were perennial and will be fine, no matter how bedraggled right now.

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Hope nhbabs isn't buried under a few feet of show. The news reports re snbow in NH were pretty grim.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

KT - Thanks for thinking of us up here in the north!

We got sprinkles of snow all morning, but happily I'm low enough in elevation that nothing major came down and none of it stuck. Apparently it was elevation dependent, with higher areas like the Monadnock area and the mountains up north getting snow while the rest of us got a mix of light snow & slush along with rain. My tender plants did NOT go out today!

Geez . . . March was April-like, and now April is being March-like. I'll be glad to see the warm weather the end of the week. (&I'll be glad to have it warmer at work where they seem to have turned down the heat.)