Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for copper tape to prevent slugs?

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 0:47

i have spent tonight researching slug deterrents. i am determined to save my hostas and centaurea this year. turns out there are many options, but i just do not have the temperament to use any products that must be refreshed or replaced during the season.collars of builder's sand or lime might be a one-season solution but i think copper tape would be more permanent.(years ago, before i discovered GW, i made, mistakenly, 100 collars of ALUMINUM , not copper, sheeting, so i can just afix the copper tape to these existing collars) SO, i think i've settled on copper tape. i've found web sources but didn't know if any GW person knows of a greater- boston- area- vendor? Safer makes a product called Slug and Snail Copper tape, and i may just start calling all the garden centers around,and then plumbing supplies vendors, but i thought i'd ask you resourceful GW people first.
thanks much, mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for copper tape to prevent slugs?

I'd check the big box stores first. Then a plumbing supply house.

o

Look in the electrical aisle for 1" copper tape. Not sure exactly what they use it for, but I've seen it on occasion.
Try a stained glass supply store also. 1" isn't commonly used, but there are several other narrow widths that are very commonly used, and should be in stock at any stained glass supplier.

o
yay! i found it!

mahoney's strikes again!

o

NOT tarnished copper...
I was intrigued about slugs and copper, so conducted my own little experiment. I put 1/2" copper pipe in the sun, and a slug so that, with the sun at his back, in his retreat he would be forced to come face-to-face with the copper. He touched it and reared back like a miniature horse! It worked, and I read later that their reaction is caused by a small electrical charge.
----
One drawback about copper I've never seen addressed in forums or blogs, on garden sites, or by garden suppliers: once the copper is tarnished, slugs cross it like it's nothing.
I don't feel like cleaning my copper, nor wish to rebuy every season, so I've opted for ducks. They're fun companions (in the country), but the hens can be loud. Better to have a drake in town, if slugs are a problem there.
God bless your Garden

--CharlysGardenPlace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here