Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Amazing Rare J Maples at Katsura Gardens, Plymouth MA.

arbo_retum
12 years ago

the largest assortment of rarely seen and newly introduced j maples that i am aware of in new england. the best are going fast!soooo exciting!!

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: katsura gardens in plymouth ma.

Comments (6)

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

I doubt they're going that fast given the price tag on several of them. This place does have the best selection of japanese maples that I've ever seen and it's worth going just to see the different varieties plus their huge inventory of evergreens, perennials, and rare cultivars of various trees. However, you're going to pay dearly for their really rare stuff especially if it's slow growing.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

couldn't disagree with you more.fair prices always, and often lots more than fair. last yr they almost closed bec of no customers so if you want them around, gotta support them. Such a treasure they are/ noth like them in new eng. in my book.
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

I didn't make any statements about whether their prices were fair or not. I simple stated that many of their Japanese maples are very expensive. The price is probably quite reasonable given the rarity and slow growth rate of some of their cultivars. However, your average Joe cannot afford to spend $3,000 on a plant of any sort. Your statement about no customers is consistent with what I'm saying. I think this nursery and many others would find business to be a lot better if they offered starter versions of these trees at a price that people can afford to pay.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oracle, I continue to believe that you are giving the wrong impression to people about the inventory at Katsura Gardens. I have bought about 15 j maples from john over the years,including big healthy fork-lift ones, and i have never paid even $800 for one, much less $3000. I find his prices equal to or better than mahoney's, with far more rarity and number of varieties offered. We are picking up 7 new varieties this week and most are small 'starter size' trees./ 2-3 gal.; some 7 gal. They grow fairly quickly after taking a year or so to settle in, and subsequently, paradise is ours.

Unfortunately , even in the garden world, I see too many examples of the American proclivity for all-you-can-eat v.s. quality of product,i.e. box store mentality. For serious plant collectors/gardeners, we must learn to cherish those few individual nursery owners who work so hard to, ultimately, enrich our lives. end of rant.

Scurry on down and see his amazing variety of small affordable j maples before they sell out. His website also is vastly improved, with lots of actual on-site photos.
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Came back with our usual wagon-packed-to-the-gills today.
    5 new j maple varieties that I believe are only available in New England at Katsura Gardens.None were over $250 and that for a plant that i have been wanting so badly for a few yrs, since i bought a tiny one at Tranquil Lake. Alot of the area's most well known designers have raided them already this year, but for our budget at this point, that is a GOOD thing!
    best,
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Came back with our usual wagon-packed-to-the-gills today.
    5 new j maple varieties that I believe are only available in New England at Katsura Gardens.None were over $250 and that for a plant that i have been wanting so badly for a few yrs, since i bought a tiny one at Tranquil Lake. Alot of the area's most well known designers have raided them already this year, but for our budget at this point, that is a GOOD thing!
    best,
    mindy