Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Where to buy Alfalfa pellets?

I know I bought some two years ago but I can't remember where. I tried three nurseries already and none of them stock it.

Comments (12)

• terrene
    12 years ago

I bought a 25 lb bag a few years back at the Agway up in Littleton. Was planning to fertilize the lawn organically, but I still haven't used it yet.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Any feed and grain store should have it. I've been meaning to get some, for about 10 years now. Maybe this will be the year I actually get it done.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I forgot about Agway. I thought the addition of alfalfa to the roses was very noticeable, and I finished off the rest of a bag adding it to a lasagna bed we put together last fall. Using it on the lawn sounds pretty good too. Feed and grain stores are not on every corner around here. Littleton or Chelmsford I think are the closest. Do you have one down on the cape dtd?

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Yup, there's Waquoit Feed a few miles diwn the road and an Agway in Sandwich. Since I've just about destroyed my back cleaning out some neglected beds already today, maybe I'll take a ride out there. Such a beautiful day!

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

What are alfalfa pellets used for?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohh, dtd, hope you had a good soak! And that it's just a temporary discomfort. I hope you took before and after photos. It's been a great spring to get some projects done. Yesterday was perfect weather here, too.

pixielou, I use alfalfa pellets for roses. I just add them to the surface at the base of the plant and cover them with mulch. I also added some when I was making a lasagna bed last fall. I read a post yesterday about someone who uses it to fertilize their lawn.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Does anyone know if alfalfa might attract rodents? Because of the coyotes, everyone keeps their cats indoors now, so we have a much higher rodent population in town. I try to be careful with anything that might be edible - corn gluten and, I guess, maybe alfalfa.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dtd, I googled that question, and I see a reference on a page instructing rodent 'pet owners' that rodents can't digest alfalfa, so they won't eat it.

Also you might want to keep in mind, spreading the alfalfa meal or pellets on the surface and wetting them down, they quickly disintergrate and if you cover them with mulch, I think that takes care of it pretty well. At least that is what I did and I didn't seem to have any critters disturbing it.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Thanks, PM2!

• tulipsmiles
    12 years ago

May I ask ...how you all use the Alfalfa?

Im interested to learn!

Thanks,
    TS

• Nadej
    12 years ago

tupipsmiles - I haven't used it yet, but was hoping to get my hands on alpha alpha meal, which is the stuff before it gets compressed into pellets, so you don't have to spend time soaking it. I've heard it's really good to use as "tea" for vegetable beds to increase yields and make plants more frost-resistant. I'm yet to find out if these are just urban legends. :)

• sequoia54
    12 years ago

I am at the Chelmsford Agway fairly often and don't recall seeing alfalfa pellets in bulk, but then I wasn't actively looking. I have a vague recollection of Ann Lovejoy recommending alfalfa as part of a "feeding mulch," or perhaps as the sole ingredient. Will check out both questions as time and memory permit. Littleton isn't that much further away from me, anyhow...