Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

arrest me..tomato murder

ontheteam
9 years ago

I have killed at least 15 kinds of tomato seedlings this year trying out my new light rack. I started the 1st set to early and the lights burned them. I started the 2nd set in April and now it looks like they have damp off..but the pinch point is at the top of the stem ..

Now I have no toms for the plant sale and I am stressing..we make quite a bit of $$ for Children's hospital having unusual tomatoes ..any one know of an inexpensive place to buy heirloom tomato seedlings in bulk or a generous company that would donate some?

Comments (11)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

If you go to the Elm Bank Plant sale on May 18th, White Flower Farm will be there with over 50 varieties of Tomato seedlings for sale including heirlooms. That includes my favorite, Sun Gold. Don't know about the price. It's WFF so I doubt it's cheap, but the selection can't be beat. Check out the Mass Hort web site.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass Hort

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this! Your post made me chuckle but when I realized these were destined for your sale it's not so amusing anymore.

You winter-sow, don't you? I'm sure there are many WSers who have toms coming out their ears. Maybe you should post there to ask for donations. Of course, you may already have - I haven't made it over to the WS forum yet this morning.

Sorry I'm not closer to you to help you out. Good luck - I'm sure you'll come up with a solution as you always do such a good job with your sale!

Dee

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do WS..and those toms are sooo far off they won;t be ready till end of June at the rate they are sprouting.. Darn weather

But by GW rules I am not allowed to post and ask for Donations. Someone reported me for doing so and I was banned for a month.
    I made a post on the WS page on Facebook.

• littleonefb
    9 years ago

Michelle, give Russell's garden center in Wayland a call. they do sell quite a few varieties, and quite a few of the not so common varieties as well.
    Not sure how large they will be, or what they would charge you.

You have nothing to lose by calling them.

Fran

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Wow, someone reported you for asking for donations to raise money for the Children's Hospital?! Sheesh.

Well, I suggest you post the same question on the WSing forum that you did here and I'm sure you'll get *offers* of donations! That way they offer and you didn't solicit! I suppose the toms may still be too small for your purposes, but you never know...

If you still prefer a nursery or garden center, perhaps you can call one local to you or to the hospital and ask for a donation of plants. Sometimes places will donate things for charity in exchange for letting the public know they donated.

Best of luck!!!

Dee

• thewallawallaian89
    9 years ago

I have some Cherokee purple seeds I'd donate to you. email me if you'd like them

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thewallawallaian89 I would love the seeds for next year... I do not have time to re grow stuff the sale started fri and runs each fri sat sun in May

• williammorgan
    9 years ago

I understand your feeling from the seedling destruction perspective.

Air and space I think are what is needed in the future. All seedlings need good air flow. Space in the sense I think you keep the light at a distance at first unless you can monitor it on the hour.

Perhaps you can save the day by sourcing established gardens for cuttings? Tomato plants can easily be cloned. A plant cloned today can easily bring you up to speed. Possibly a craigslist approach? Tomatoes in our area really don't explode until June.

Bad news sucks but that doesn't mean all hope is lost.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

Try Freecycle! There's amazing stuff people will give away.
    You can post "Wanted" items to different towns, and with some
    luck people may come through.
    I'd definitely approach Mahoney's and their veggie man "Uncle Mike." who always has a column in their monthly adverts.
    They have thousands upon thousands of tomatoes. Use your sad story creatively, and who could resist helping sick kids?
    (My now 25 year old was a newborn at Children's. They were wonderful)
    Idabean/marie

• zahzeen
    9 years ago

Thanks, Idabean. I posted a message on Boston freecycle so we'll see what happens. I have worked for Michelle for several years as a volunteer and this situation is really difficult. I have tried Mahoney's many times for donations and have not been successful. If you have any contact there, that may be of help, please send me an email. Thank you again.

• jillyluis
    9 years ago

Wilson's farm in Lexington has been very generous to my daycare center and a lot of the other day care centers. You could try them too
    Good luck